over clocking a pentum core duo E2180

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by chrisrlink, Jun 9, 2011.

Jun 9, 2011
  1. chrisrlink
    OP

Member chrisrlink Rouge Temper

United States
    my stats are core voltage 1.225V
    core speed 2.0ghz
    multiplyer 0.6x
    bus speed around 200 MHZ
    FSB around 800 MHZ
    if you need any more info just ask

2. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Not sure what you want suggested, but that voltage isn't that low to begin with. Assuming it is the auto setting it is okay though and probably has leeway
    http://gbatemp.net/lofiversion/index.php?t123047.html
    Currently have that processor running 1500Mhz FSB 1,6GHz core as a lower power server.

Essence: Change one variable at a time, do a google on how to OC (a core 2 duo) and keep those temps in check (and DONT use auto voltage features). With the stock cooler, though the core 2 series is awesome and had pretty okay cooling, you really have to check those temps. Also mind the memory speeds as those change in a ratio. Crank that FSB to 1500-1600MHz (as far as it goes really). When you've found it's max dial it down a little and try to find the core maximum (prolly around 2.8 GHz, but that is just a guestimation as it isn;t a fixed value and depends highly on sample differences).

P.S. Thanks, made me look at that topic again --> got me thinking about the fact that I still have that FSB set to 375 eventhough 450 worked apparently and my core is currently clocked way down: it should work fine setting it back to 450 now and lowering the multiplier close to the 1,6GHz as my core then doesn;t go beyond 3 GHz [​IMG].

3. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    also not sure what your asking

anyway I have a E7300 @3.8ghz
    with 1.295v, multiplier 10.0x

4. Holified 2x

Member Holified 2x GBAtemp Fan

United States
    google and download clockgen or google extreme overclocking . net or com not sure [​IMG]

5. Scorpei

Netherlands
    Learn to use the bios [​IMG]

6. Holified 2x

United States
    No [​IMG]

7. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    yes, those cheap little programs arnt worth the trouble they cause, usually just about every major mobo maker has their own version of windows based easy overclocker tool (including asus)
    as scorpei said, learn to use the bios

8. Scorpei

Netherlands
    As we're on the subject, please mind Vdrop when overclocking. More info --> google [​IMG].
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4YPcDeyYd0[/youtube]

9. Holified 2x

United States
  10. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Just a quick look online tells me the average frequency people get on a E2180 is 3Ghz at 1.4V and 3.2Ghz at 1.45V. Seems most people like going at 333Mhz with a 9x multiplier. Of course, this is all skewed by the capabilities of the motherboard. If it's a budget motherboard, don't expect it to go much further than 2.6Ghz.

Also, what exactly is the purpose of overclocking this CPU? With stock cooling, you won't get far until the temperatures are too high and, judging by the price range of the Asus Benecia (~£45), it's a budget motherboard so it won't have strong enough power phasing to get a stable overclock. The E2180 is also pretty low end, and uses a 65nm process so it's not very power efficient either.