Hacking OTPless install on a New 3DS

Ericrw1182

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm pretty sure I bricked a New 3DS last night. Following Plailect's guide to the T, and double checking everything, I loaded up SafeA9LHInstaller and pressed select to install, a message flashed on the screen too fast for me to read and the screen turned off. I left it for several minutes, followed glitched screen instructions just in case, left it a bit more, then finally did a hard reboot.

Now anytime it is powered on, the blue light comes on, but the screens stay dark. I followed the troubleshooting suggestions, took out SD card, took out cartridge, tried recovery mode. Nothing. I'll eventually hard mod it along with a Japanese New 3DS I have on FW 11.2. In the mean time, I have another New 3DS that I've followed all Plailect's guide on up to the point of last night's failure. I'm now on 9.2.0.20U, I just made a NANDmin.bin and backed it up onto my computer, and now I'm a little nervous to proceed.

I've read posts about other people having the problem I had, but it seems pretty rare. Part of me feels like as long as I check and double check every step of the guide, it should be just fine. And another part of me feels like I am about to have yet another brick on my hands...

Any advice?

I'm using the stock 4gb memory card, reformatted with Panasonic SDFormatter on my MacBook, then did a system format on the N3DS before going step by step through Plailect's guide.

Is there a safer way than the OTPless method? Should I try the SafeA9LHInstaller 2.6.2 that released a day ago and says, "Try to fix the rare OTPless bricks by using ITCM instead of ARM9 memory." in the release notes?

Or should I stick to the guide and use 2.5.1... ? Reading through several threads, I'm a little confused why the guide uses 2.5.1 and not a more current version. Is this because this was the current version when the guide was last updated, or is this the version that should be used?

el_gonz87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sometimes it's just bad luck and crashes while installing.

I did 2 n3ds xl USA + Japan back to back just fine using the stock sd card and safeA9lhinstaller 2.5.1, did not format the stock sd tho

The brick ratio has been rather low and the chances of it happening twice seem like small odds to me, but it's up to you

You can use 2.6.3 maybe plailect just hasn't had time to update guide as it was getting some other new features such as a new look.

Alternatively you can look for the older method which had you downgrade to 2.1 but that has a brick risk of its own.

Last edited by el_gonz87,

rubycrow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rubycrow, I used 2.5.1 following the guide.
Thanks for letting me know. I believe it usually takes Plailect less than a day to update his guide on new software releases. Let's see if he updates tomorrow. I have a system transfer limiter coming up tomorrow and I need to A9HL a N3DSXL as well so I am also curious if Plailect will want people to use the newest release or not.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    you go bro
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i know, i know, i'm late
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @BigOnYa, I'll rip a bag off my Volcano to that, brother
    +2
  • a_username_that_is_cool @ a_username_that_is_cool:
    DDDS . Dual Developer Dedede System :)
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also happy birthday @Xdqwerty
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Is it me you're looking for?
  • MysticStarlight @ MysticStarlight:
    'Cause I wonder where you are
    wait I got the lyrics mixed up
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    And I wonder what you do...Lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Its all good, I'm here to talk to you.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Hello
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing fallout4 all day, I went into a elevator and it kept going, never stopped, waited 5 minutes, must of been a bug. How bout you, whatcha do today?
    +1
    I'm wondering why a stray tuxedo cat has a cloudy eye
    I've been playing TOTK all day also
    +1
    Oh you reminded me of those elevator nightmares
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Awesome game, fun how they force you to build, but you can build as you want
    It is super fun, I actually prefer it over BoTW
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The guy holding the sign always cracked me up, esp when you fail, and it falls
    Ah yes, that guy lol. I still need to find all his signs. The game has a lot to do though so I don't know what to finish first
    I'm 120 hours in and am still like 44.4% done
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Good times. Building is starting to get good around now for you. You making me want to make run thru again.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok good chatting, enjoy your gaming, and avoid the lightning, or put your sword away. Good night.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/E1U7Nlt.mp4 +1