Tutorial  Updated

OTP Guide

Full Guide Release!

https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

All regions now supported!

If you appreciate this guide and the work I put into maintaining it, I accept donations through both Bitcoin and PayPal.

If you felt like the guide helped you out then I'd really appreciate it! If I get enough I may buy a 2DS for testing hardware stuff so I don't break another N3DS.

If the guide didn't help you out then I'm really sorry about that :(

Last edited by Plailect,

Plailect

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have asked a couple time now but this thread is moving fast enough I think people might have missed it. Do sysNAND and emuNAND have to be linked/unlinked or does it even matter to perform the steps of the OTP guide. Mrrraou was kind enough to let me know to use only sd or sdhc to perform. Any guidance will be appreciated. For successful N3DS users please enlighten me on the path to arm9loaderhax.

They must be unlinked.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some notes from my experience: N3DS Europe (AUS unit) (no hard mod but I'm capable of doing hard mods)

I went in fresh with the stock 4gb micro sd card. I wasn't about to play around with my filled up 128gb emunand monster lol! so I had to create title/import dbs for the issue in the next step since I had a formatted sysnand and created a new gw emunand.

While following the guide exactly when I reached section II downgrade step 8) I found that sysupdated failed to downgrade when using browserhax. So I booted up my GW and installed sysupdater cia. Then I booted back into ReiNand and using the cia it allowed me to downgrade. I'm sure it has to do with permissions and such :P

Downgrade was successful on first try.

as others noted step 15 of section 2 requires the exact file name - should be .xorpad. I also ran cmd as admin - just in case you don't know if you have to - doesn't hurt!

the hex editing is easy as pie. if you have any experience with a hex editor you can do it easily - my only experience with hex editing has been emulator save state hacking :D

restoring nand went smooth - made me a little anxious since this is the point of no return! upon rebooting the system it black screened. I tried again - nothing.... my heart sank...

I removed the micro sd card and tried w/o it and it booted up!

I followed section III and all worked according to plan - I didn't see any flashes but a rapid scrolling effect on the bottom screen. I waited a minute of that and then shut down. I opened my micro sd and there it was! a9f.bin 256byte file.

to restore:

I copied decrypt9's launcher.dat just in case - I didn't know if it was needed or not because I followed the browser restore files from https://gbatemp.net/threads/otp-guide.415140/page-19#post-6084203
download the arm 9 and 11 bin files from there and put them on the sd card. I went to http://dukesrg.github.io/2xrsa.html?arm11.bin and arm11.bin booted. the lower screen became a garbled mess of random colors for about 10 seconds or so. then decrypt9 menu loaded! I went ahead and restored sysnand through the menu options and my system is back to normal!

the process was relatively smooth - all the brick warnings, while justified, made me more nervous than the actual procedure!

thank you to all the people listed in the credits @ https://plailect.github.io/OTP/

Thanks for reading my story - hopefully it will calm you down and motivate you to get it done!

ZeroShift

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So downgrade went fine, but Cubic Ninja is giving me issues.

After scanning the QR code the screen goes black and freezes. When I check OTP.bin it's still empty, should I wait a certain amount of time or did it bork?

runetoonxx2

GBATemp's Cancer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so apparently everyone got the downgrade working at least welp time to do this myself in like 6 hrs cause its midnight and i dont wanna fk up cause im half asleep

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Downgraded my N3DS to 2.1 as well, got OTP, and restored back to 9.2 with no issue (and no hardmod, but I was rather nervous). Thanks for the guide.

TzDcoCC.jpg

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When i try to downgrade emunand with sysupdater, keeps saying error getting cia file info result: 0xD900182F ,
Install sysupdater.cia and run it from the home screen.

EDIT: Nevermind if you saw my confusion with a9f.bin. I figured out that it's a non-Cubic Ninja method, and that I was confusing hex with dec (as far as the size of the key) :P

Last edited by urherenow,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @mthrnite, Cheetah Girls, the sequel to Action 52's Cheetah Men.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Pokemon Black I played that one a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Honestly never messed with Pokémon on ds much
  • mthrnite @ mthrnite:
    I played pokemon once, was bored, never tried again
    Oh Dragon Quest IX
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spent like 5 hours on switch one never touched it again
    Sentinel of the stary skies
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ds is 20 years old this year
    So MJ no longer wants to play with it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He put it down when the 3ds came out
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, RIP Felix does great videos on the PS3 yellow-light-of-death.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    Eventhough the New 3DS XL is more powerful, I still feel like the DS Lite was a more polished system. It's a real shame that it never got an XL variant keeping the GBA slot. You'd have to go on AliExpress and buy an ML shell to give a DS phat the unofficial "DS Lite" treatment, and that's the best we'll ever get I'm afraid.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    The phat model had amazingly loud speakers tho.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Jayro, I don't see whats so special about the DS ML, its just a DS lite in a phat shell. At least the phat model had louder speakers, whereas the lite has a much better screen.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
    Veho @ Veho: +1