Other Firmware options? (Besides YSmenu...)

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by SamusKnight2K, Oct 6, 2008.

1. SamusKnight2K
    OP

Member SamusKnight2K GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Before anyone says anything about YSmenu, I've already tried it. I've got no beef with it really other than it's to be honest, quite an eyesore to look at. The official firmware for the R4 for the most part, works fine for me. However since there's YSmenu I was curious if there are other firmware hack alternatives for the R4. Thanks.

And on a note again about the YSmenu, unless there's a way to fully skin everything (And I mean everything.) please don't bother suggesting it. If I was into serious homebrew or roms I would've picked up a different card.

EDIT: And just a quick edit to add: I'm not looking for an extravagant skin, just something that doesn't look like a shoddy port of the Windows 3.1 OS on a flashcart...

2. Predator04

Newcomer Predator04 Advanced Member

United States
    wow you complain alot. I be your one of those gamers that only play game with good graphics. thinking it plays better or something! Lmao. lets see you make a firmware. if not then i would shut up if i were you

3. tKo HaXoR

Member tKo HaXoR GBAtemp Fan

United States
    YSMenu is pretty much the only alternative to the R4 firmware. You can encrypt other firmwares, but the only ones that will work are the R4 clone firmwares which do exactly the same really..

4. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    instead of all the time it would take it figure out whats-what, learn to code, and compile a new firmware for the r4 --- you could just buy an ak2 for 13 bucks and use AKAIO. there are ways to block out, move around, and alter all parts of the r4 skin if you decrypt the firmware. there are topics on it, do a search.

-another world

5. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    none at all

i tripple boot mine with sakura ysmenu and r4 [​IMG]

6. SamusKnight2K
    OP

Member SamusKnight2K GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Quite uncalled for... >.> And no, I actually prefer a good storyline over graphics. As I said, I have no issues with YSmenu OTHER than it's rather bland for my tastes. I guess the shoddy port comment was a step too far... But my point about it is that the menu just... lacks color. It would be nice to add a little customization to it. Maybe add a background and change up the icons. I'm not a programmer, and definitely could never do the kind of work the creator of YSmenu could do... I only wished there was a way to add a little customization to it, that's all. But from what I've seen in the R4 forums seems most people want to tear into each other rather than try to be helpful. Shoulda seen this coming... [​IMG]

7. tKo HaXoR

United States
    Hexane! You can't triple boot the Sakura on the R4! Sakura can't boot official roms on the R4
    so i believe it will just count as a homebrew media player. Its like saying "I triple boot my R4
    with the official firmware, DS Organize, and moonshell!"

8. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    [​IMG] good god i carnt belive i have to explain this......

ysmenu as default.nds and sakura as _ds_mshl.nds or the other way around.... [​IMG]

no shit Sherlock on sakura booting roms seriously why say shit people allready know...

9. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    sorry if i sounded like i was flaming...but that was just dumb

10. tKo HaXoR

United States
    Yeah, but your claiming that you are triple booting! Learn the proper term dude..
    M3 Real has the ability to triple boot! iTouch, M3 Real Official and Sakura! All have the ability to play roms, thus it being an actual triple boot! Using Sakura on your R4 is not "multi" booting when it is just a shell replacement! duh [​IMG]

Multi Booting = Ability to use multiple/different firmware or operating systems on a single system at the same time giving you the ability to use same features but with improved functuality! LOL! source:
    Multi-Boot Wiki

11. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    just cause it cant load games doesn't make it any less of a firmware

thats like mac and windows just cause macs dont get very many games made for it doesn't mean its any less of an OS

12. tKo HaXoR

United States
    That's a great comparison! lol.. just kidding

Sure its a firmware on the M3 forums, but for the R4, people know it as a great media player/moonshell replacement [​IMG] !

Multi Booting = Ability to use multiple/different firmware or operating systems on a single system at the same time giving you the ability to use same features but with improved functuality! LOL! source: Multi-Boot Wiki

13. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
  14. jagerstaffel

Member jagerstaffel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    You know... I think the beef everyone has with you is.... How better looking is the R4 firmware from YSMenu? Do you stare at that default splash screen on the top screen everytime your R4 loads? You actually like a fancy looking 3 button bottom screen at loadup?

You sound like you don't like the way it looks. Well, hell, you don't like the way it looks. Have you ever tried changing the background of the top screen on YSMenu? It's a bloody .bmp for crying out loud. Don't have MSPaint? Maybe you could grab an image somewhere off the web and hack it up using Irfan. Maybe you never poked around in the .ini file?

I'm sorry to say this, but you remind me of beve's old past, who asked for skins, was told to do it himself (if it isn't easy I don't want to know how easy it is for you to eat) and the beve'r exploded. Except you didn't explode the way he did, but you didn't seem to like the way someone told you how picky you are and that it's amusingly quite easy to do something about the way YSMenu looks.

Here's a start: open MSpaint (That's Paint. Up there on Accessories. If you're on a different OS then too bad). create a 256x192 sized image (for a lazy person, ctrl+e) and that is 256 Width 192 Height. There, nice little white squarish thing. Plaster whatever you want on it, save then replace that dying-tree-in-the-winter.bmp image with your image. Voila! If that wasn't easy as pie then you need to buy the Pillsbury brand of Doughboy approved recipes [​IMG]

15. lazyguy

Member lazyguy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    m3 sakura can boot games now, not the r4 verison though
    maybe if there's more demand on it, someone will port it over, but from what i read, it's buggy

16. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia

ok who made sakura for r4 lets spam him saying

we want sakura to boot games

17. Dark^'^Knigh

Member Dark^'^Knigh GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    What is the purpose of firmware, oh wise one?
    Sakura on R4 can only play music & video files, not any games or homebrew. From memory, it uses up approx 50mb of 'valuable' 2GB MicroSD space...so not sure its even worth replacing Moonshell with it. I did a couple of months ago (just to see Sakura's interface), but have since removed it.

So no, its not a "triple boot" firmware in the true essence of its meaning.

18. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    Its not only for r4 and the dldi version was made by rudolph and I believe he made it not to boot games since he has respect for the m3 team.
    (but Im not 100% positive)

19. AeroHex

Banned AeroHex Banned

Australia
    rudolph is mean i wish yasu would come along and stick is game loader in it and release it

20. Holaitsme

Member Holaitsme 10/10 would be loyal again

United States
    He is not mean he just has respect for other peoples work and just wanted to give everyone a chance to try m3 sakura.