Original XBox HDD Question

BananaXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have successfully softmodded my XBox, and I am trying to upgrade the hard drive. I've been unsuccessful with that however, and I keep getting Error 06 after using xboxhdm and my XBox's eeprom.bin to try to lock it.

This has been pretty frustrating, so I'm looking at getting a modchip (no solder, probably) so that I could use the new hard drive. My question though, is if I install a modchip, will I be able to use this new hard drive, even though it hasn't worked with the softmod? Or will I still have to get a new hard drive to try?

From what I understand, using a modchip will basically allow you to use almost any IDE drive and format it in your XBox with an EvoX disc.

Also, if anyone has any suggestions as to how I might make the hard drive work with the softmod, that would be great too! Thanks all.

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TSOP it.
TSOP or Mod chip will allow you to use your harddrive.
I never messed with softmods because TSOP was so easy.

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TSOP requires soldering, which I think he is trying to avoid.

In any case, there are a few solderless modchips, but pretty much the only thing you're going to find around these days is an xecuter 2/3 + solderless adapter.

Just FYI though, you should not be getting an error 6. Ndure softmods use a virtual EEPROM, so if you dump your eeprom normally whilst using the softmod, you're going to get an invalid result. For Krayzie's ndure, you have to install the additional tools inside the softmod archive or find the original eeprom it made when first installing. With kingroach's ndure, you launch the xbe in the ndts folder on E:, which will give complete access to your system (no virtual C, virtual EEPROM, etc.).

Check out this thread, it should explain everything: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=665599

IOS37

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TSOP is hardly soldering I had my 10 year TSOP a Xbox because it is so easy.
Just tin a wire tip place it on and touch the iron to it then cut the extra wire off.
done.

BananaXX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for the replies.

I went ahead and tried a TSOP flash, worked fine, but then tried to do a different flash and ended up nuking the box. There might be a way to fix it but I don't really have the time to do that right now.

So I went out and picked up another used XBox (they're incredibly cheap) and using the link that velocity37 posted I was able to get the hard drive upgrade to work. Thanks!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: