eddo12321

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Nintendo switch with atmosphere 0.8.5

I have the rom of an xbox game (also on ps2 and gamecube)
and was wondering if it'd be possible to emulate an original xbox on the switch

I've searched to no result but I think I've seen one before

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope no xbox and Gamecube I think I seen there is but the games are not playable. The Xbox original just barly got stable PC emulation and it has basically a 733MHZ Pentium cpu. so if PC just barley started to be able to do it, Switch never will

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think Dolphin on Switch will ever be full speed. Only a small handful of games are full speed on the Shield TV and it's the same CPU as the Switch only clocked much higher, and I think "full speed" is with frame skipping involved.

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

WIP: Yes for GameCube and PPSPP
XBOX and PS2: No, in your dream. Again, no and it will never happen at all!

Undwiz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
50% was about Wii game, 100% was gamecube game (but in not too heavy environment).

Ohh Wow .... hows Mario Sunshine running ? and what do I need to do to get that going ? or is it not out yet ?-- the emu... you was the 1st I heard about linux on switch. I am guessing to early for the "mainstream"

Last edited by Undwiz,

RattletraPM

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Gamecube emulation on a Switch is possible, there's been much progress lately and some GC games have been shown to run very well (Super Mario Sunshine runs at almost full speed with only some occasional stutter, for example). Keep in mind however that such benchmarks have been recorded from an Ubuntu distro using Vulkan drivers, not the Switch's Horizon OS, so you may need to use a Linux distro to achieve the same results once it's released.

About the XBOX, long story short, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon. I know some may point out the same had been said about GC emulation in the past but this is an entirely different matter, Dolphin was already a pretty well-optimized cross-platform emulator and also had an ARM port. On the other hand XBOX emulators are still not that accurate/optimized but there are also much bigger hurdles to keep into consideration here: the two main XBOX emulators, Cxbx-Reloaded and XQEMU, are written in such a way that makes it infeasible or borderline impossible to make them run on a Switch without rewriting them almost from the ground up. Let me explain quickly:
  • Cxbx-reloaded: While the emulator does, in fact, emulate the console's hardware as well as some specific CPU opcodes, most of the CPU instructions aren't really emulated at all and are instead ran natively, thus taking advantage of how both the XBOX and your host PC both have an x86 CPU. While this gives the emulator a significant performance boost on supported machines, it also means it will not run on other architectures like the Switch's ARM SoC. Not just that, but the emulator relies on Win32 APIs to reimplement the XBOX's kernel and its HLE graphics backend is based on DirectX 9, which also means it's completely Windows dependent and will not run on any other OS as it is. Long story short, porting the emulator to other OSes and architectures will be a true pain in the arse which may also end up killing its performance completely.
  • XQEMU: This one takes a completely different approach from the other one as it's a LLE (instead of HLE) focused almost entirely torwards accuracy rather than performance. As the name suggests, it's a modified QEMU package which emulates an entire x86 system (in this case, the XBOX of course) on your machine. Anyone will tell you that emulating x86 instructions on ARM is a big no-no as it's slow as hell even on devices more powerful than the Switch, but things become even worse if you take into consideration that XQEMU has almost no performance optimizations due to its nature. In a nutshell, even if it may run somehow (even using Ubuntu L4T instead of HOS), it will most likely be too slow to play anything.
TL;DR - Gamecube, very much likely in the future, with some caveats. XBOX, don't bet on it.

Last edited by RattletraPM,
D

Deleted User

Gamecube emulation is currently under Lakka (Linux Retroarch Distribution) possibly but runs not very good.
Linux does actually a pretty good Dolphin Emulation with 30 FPS but Linux does crash often (and has Networking Problems).
XBOX Emulation is actually something what i think when the Emulator runs good and dont has problems like the Dolphin CORE. (so maybe soon)
PS2 maybe a Port of the PC Emulator because its written in C++ but i think only Linux is the single option you have to emulate PS2 and Xbox NOW

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F