Original 3DS common scratches on top screen

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Nuxx20, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Nuxx20
    OP

Nuxx20 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    So in my pursuit of a used 3DS I stumbled upon quite a few systems in good condition, but they still had these two scratches on each side of the top screen, caused by the lack of gap between the two screens when the console is closed. Are these usually serious scratches that appear in game as well? it was hard to tell from the online photos.
    If I decide to buy a brand new 3DS, is there any tip on how to avoid getting these scratches other than being extra cautious when closing the console?

2. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    Take some rubber bumpers off of a laptop or something, and stick them on top of the 3ds bumpers to increase the distance a bit.

elmoemo and Nuxx20 like this.
  3. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    I can't say I notice them when I'm playing, if I'm not looking for them.

4. shinyquagsire23

shinyquagsire23 SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy

Nov 18, 2012
    United States
    Las Vegas
    It ruins the 3D for me, doesn't kill the experience per se, but it's definitely unsettling and annoying. Love my N3DS for this reason, they finally moved to a much better material for the top display this time around rather than the unibody-ish plastic thing. I believe you can replace that part though fairly easily if it really bugs you.

Ryccardo likes this.
  5. Nuxx20
    OP

Nuxx20 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 6, 2015
    United States
    Ill just get a N3DS white then. Probably a Japanese one as they are cheaper

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    Ofc having a screen protector on means if the cart he's do appear you can just replace the screen protector

7. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Its not terribly noticeable to me, but when I do notice them I can rub them off with my fingers without issue.

8. ravihpa

ravihpa GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 11, 2007
    India
    Just be careful if you're ordering a Jap console. I would say either wait for Gateway to release support for N3DS (which will enable you to play region-free games) or get a AU N3DS.

If Gateway releases an update, then you're good to go with a Jap console. If not, then you'll be stuck with Sky3DS and Jap roms. But if you get an AU N3DS, at least you'll be able to play PAL games :)

9. Unkn0wn

Unkn0wn Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 1, 2015

A lot of people have this problem. I just put screen protectors and decals on my system, as well as a metal case. My console it pretty much in mint condition. The decals and screen protector protects the top screen from being scratched. I don't know why no one else has thought of this - decals make your system look better and protect it.