OpenTyrian DS

Xcist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
*sniff*

I freakin love this game, but I'm having troubles with the music! It's somewhat on-and-off.

It works when I start it up, but midway through the first level it turns off! (I think it turned off when you get the ball for the secret level). Since I'm absolutely in love with the music, I couldn't make myself go on.

Any idea what could be causing this?

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mewgia said:
great game
smile.gif
been looking for a good top-down shmup for the DS, I was disappointed when I booted up nanostray 2 and it was a side-view
sleep.gif
'
But this is really fun, the only problems are:
1) lag. I have quality set to low and it till slows down when there's a bunch of shit onscreen.
2)quiet. It's nearly impossible to hear the music...
3) where the hell is your life meter? I assumed that your shields recharged when you generator did but then I got to the first boss, got hit a lot, and this "WARNING" notice popped up along the bottom (accompanied by an annoying-as-fuck beeping noise) and would not go away until I died. However I did not see any sort of life bar...if that's just how tyrian is, well, that's a bit annoying.

Blue bar is shield (regenerates) and white bar is armor (life).

Shield upgrades with shield upgrades. Armor with ship upgrades.

Keep in mind this is a very direct port from the PC game with most features intact, so don't be expecting something perfect from a 0.1 version.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Harpuia said:
Mewgia said:
great game
smile.gif
been looking for a good top-down shmup for the DS, I was disappointed when I booted up nanostray 2 and it was a side-view
sleep.gif
'
But this is really fun, the only problems are:
1) lag. I have quality set to low and it till slows down when there's a bunch of shit onscreen.
2)quiet. It's nearly impossible to hear the music...
3) where the hell is your life meter? I assumed that your shields recharged when you generator did but then I got to the first boss, got hit a lot, and this "WARNING" notice popped up along the bottom (accompanied by an annoying-as-fuck beeping noise) and would not go away until I died. However I did not see any sort of life bar...if that's just how tyrian is, well, that's a bit annoying.

Blue bar is shield (regenerates) and white bar is armor (life).

Shield upgrades with shield upgrades. Armor with ship upgrades.

Keep in mind this is a very direct port from the PC game with most features intact, so don't be expecting something perfect from a 0.1 version.
Oh thanks. I noticed those bars but they never seemed to do anything.

And ya I know it's not going to be perfect, it's a 0.1 version after all. I was just pointing out the very-few flaws that this port has for me (though the music will just stop sometimes until I reboot the game, while sounds still go. Again, it's a .01, not expecting it to be perfect).

Probably the most playable first-release homebrew I've ever tried though, it's nearly done
smile.gif

notnarb

Not narbing it up
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If only raptor was open source too...
Besides most of the test being unreadable, I found this to be a very seamless port (although enemy fireballs don't seem to move as they should when the screen is scrolling horizontally)

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Raptor would be a great on the DS. I forgot how good the music was on this, though it does seem to be fairly low. I'm sure future versions will fix this.

Tony_92

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Finland
Anyone noticed that when you press start at the rear weapons menu one of the weapons goes to level 0. Sometimes it changes the weapon to a another weapon or levels the weapon completely or the weapon doesn't shoot anything.
rolleyes.gif

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Raptor would be a great on the DS. I forgot how good the music was on this, though it does seem to be fairly low. I'm sure future versions will fix this.

We could just bring the .wav files into an audio editor and crank up the volume.
wink.gif

EDIT: Heh, I did it! I cranked the volume on ALL 41 tunes in the game as high as I could without clipping. What's cool is that they are the EXACT same file size, right down to the byte, just louder. I tested them and they work and everything.
biggrin.gif

I zipped up just the amped wave files, since that is all you need to replace in the tyrian folder, but I don't have that much space on my webspace to host them. Where's the easiest place to upload them to where I don't need to register or anything? The file is 24.8 megs.

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I double posted in the hopes that it will push this thread back to the top of the list for the benefit of anyone interested in the amped music for Tyrian.

I uploaded it to Rapidshare. Here's the link:

http://rapidshare.com/files/101726615/tyri...edWAVs.zip.html

Just replace the old WAV files with these in the tyrian folder and the music should now be louder.

grog.gif

Harpuia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:
I double posted in the hopes that it will push this thread back to the top of the list for the benefit of anyone interested in the amped music for Tyrian.

Just replace the old WAV files with these in the tyrian folder and the music should now be louder.

grog.gif

Wow, thanks!
wub.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:

grog.gif
Nice work Sir.

yaynds.gif

vashmyvindows

Trophies
Website
danbookman.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting a "Guru Meditation error" whenever I start the .nds. I formatted the SD card with MacOS, but I've never had problems running homebrew before. /Ez-flash 5

Anyone else getting this?

Edit: It's dldi'd fine and the folder is on the card's root.

beefkeek

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yep also getting that error. Only I get it in Xmucane: Ice Exit in chapter 4. Oh well a few bugs like this are to be expected. I can't wait to see what this will evolve into ^^

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I played a fair bit of it.....not sure how far into it....two or three chapters at least, but it's been running great for me.

sphere9

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Rayder said:

grog.gif

wowee, thanks for that
biggrin.gif

downloaded it now
smile.gif

also no errors for me, running it on a cyclods with the graphics turned to low and there's very little slowdown
smile.gif

[EDIT]

damn, keep getting random guru mediation crashes whenever i seem to get the flare
frown.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/vKQN3UiNNHY?si=fP6ZlFe-DhQf9SW7