NULL

WIP OpenMW for Switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Emulation, Homebrew & Software Projects' started by fgsfds, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Masana

Masana Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2016
    France
    Actually there is no return on hbmenu, but I find myself again with an endless black screen ... I still have 10 go on my card sd can be it is slower, I test of other games to be port but I have no problem

openmw.log :

Loading config file: ./config/openmw.cfg
    Loading config file: ./default/openmw.cfg
    OpenMW version 0.46.0
    Revision: bbb3dcb727
    Using default (English) font encoding.
    OSG version: 3.6.4
    SDL version: 2.0.8
    Loading settings file: ./default/settings-default.cfg
    Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/Morrowind.bsa
    Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/Tribunal.bsa
    Adding BSA archive ./data/Data Files/Bloodmoon.bsa
    Adding data directory ./resources/vfs
    Adding data directory ./data/Data Files
    Adding data directory ./data

Last edited by Masana, Jun 9, 2019
  2. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    I can shortcut this - all that you did so far didnt hurt, but didn't help either.

If you are using a openmw.cfg from a PC installation - the only thing that I had to do to squash all errors in the log file, was to delete the data line. Thats it. That - and the data folder contents from a new installation are all that is needed. At least for the german version of the game.

If you have used mods before - do a fresh installation of the game via GOG Galaxy - and then copy over the data folder contents again.

I just did the same to see if I could reduce initial loading time with the german installation (sadly no still about 3:30 min), so thats all that is needed. If you then get a black screen, wait on the black screen for at least 10 minutes (touching the analog stick or digipad once in a while so the switch doesnt go to sleep) - and wait for the game to load.

log will not produce any more information (from that stage on the game is actually loading).

Thats all. Should work that way.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I am now adding trilinear filtering to "graphics settings you should use". Again, this comes at almost no performance cost and improves visual fidelity.

So here are recommended settings (in my book) in one screenshot:
    [​IMG]
    (Trilinear filtering, Anisotropic 1, and viewing distance at max)

Also think about setting cell preloading to true in the default cfg the release comes with. (A bit more stutter when entering some areas, but far less loading zones in the game over all.)

Last edited by notimp, Jun 9, 2019
    yondertoy likes this.
  3. Masana

Masana Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2016
    France

Hello,

thank you for your help, I deleted the line
    data = "D: \ Program Files (x86) \ Steam \ SteamApps \ Common \ Morrowind \ Data Files"

in openmw.cfg file pc moon and erased the openmw.log file

Unfortunately I have a return hbmenu after 2 sc

I do not understand what I'm doing wrong, my version comes from steam

4. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    And here are two more in game videos with the new settings and original Switch video encoding - just for good measure. :)

Those will probably be the last videos I post. :) Captured all the spots in game that I wanted to capture on video by now. ;)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

When you delete the line in openmw.cfg the default config data entry line should "take over" - and point to ./data - if the game is crashing within seconds, this doesnt happen which is odd. At this point I'm out.

(Replace the line with ./data instead if you want to, then the log will tell you that it will ignore the duplicate ./data folder should still work - but lets not babystep you for another page here, if we can help it.. ;)

Again - all that was needed for the german version to run are the contents of a freshly installed Data Files folder from a GOG install - and the openmw.cfg from a PC install of OpenMW running that install - minus the data line (just deleted it in an editor in windows). Used notepad++ to edit it probably (in case that makes a difference). Then put the file in the config folder on the switch. Nothing else needed.

From then - wait on the black screen for four minutes, touch the digipad once in a while so the switch doesnt go to sleep.)

Last edited by notimp, Jun 9, 2019
  5. fgsfds
    OP

fgsfds GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2018
    Russia
    When it crashes, the crash reason is almost always in config/openmw.log or fatal.log.

notimp likes this.
  6. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    And when it doesnt crash within seconds, the game usually loads - it just takes time. :)

7. Masana

Masana Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2016
    France
    Thanks for your help

here is the detail of the file openmw.log once the line deleted:

Loading config file: ./config/openmw.cfg
    Loading config file: ./default/openmw.cfg
    OpenMW version 0.46.0
    Revision: bbb3dcb727
    Using default (English) do encoding.
    OSG version: 3.6.4
    SDL version: 2.0.8
    Loading settings file: ./default/settings-default.cfg
    Error: Archive 'Morrowind.bsa' not found

But when I change the line to data = "./ data / Data Files"
    I have an infinite black screen.

I tried everything but nothing makes it.

8. PatrickJr

PatrickJr GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2017
    Bridgwater
    Good stuff!

9. switchisfun

switchisfun Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    Hey, I'm interested in this. Could you tell me the order of install for those two things? Do they interact at all? Do you use the 'smooth' options / hd texture options?

Don't know if there's a way to see your FPS within MW. I'd love to get it somewhat optimal with FPS the primary target, but also looking nice.

Anyone played around with it more? Or know how I can track the difference FPS-wise on Switch if I mess with some texture / patch stuff myself?

10. terrabyte25

terrabyte25 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United States
    There isn't a particular order of install, you just extract their meshes and textures.

11. sj33

sj33 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 22, 2013
    Japan
    You are actually supposed to install Morrowind Optimisation Patch last because it overwrites some of the meshes in the other packs, but not all.

switchisfun likes this.
  12. burial

burial GBAtemp Regular

Aug 15, 2018
    United States
    So how do you install mods like better bodies?

13. terrabyte25

terrabyte25 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United States
    Same as any other mod, except in OpenMW.cfg you add this: content=insertmodname.esp or .esm

Edit: Question, would anyone be remotely interested of multiplayer Morrowind on the switch?

Last edited by terrabyte25, Jun 10, 2019
  14. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Dont put the Data Files folder in the data folder, put the contents of the Data Files folder in the data folder.

Then either delete the data line in openmw.cfg, or set it to ./data (no spaces). Preferably delete it, as it gets carried over by from another default config file either way.

Thats how mine is set up and it works.

The other thing that we are pussyfooting around is, that if OpenMW on the switch goes to sleep during one of the initial menus - it might crash. Thats why - just in case, press one of the digi pad buttons to prevent the switch going to sleep.

If none of that solves your issue - it might be the french language version of the game in this specific case (probably not though). Anyone else got the french version of the game to run?

15. zniel0

zniel0 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    United States
    Can anyone recommend settings to reduce the loading times in the outer areas, as in the settings file has preload options (cpu threads)

Im using Morrowind Graphics Overhaul textures(extracted) I have no issue running the game, fps is good as well...however there are constant loads.

On the linux version of switch morrowind does load faster so perhaps there are tweaks we can use.

16. Underprivlidged

Underprivlidged Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    I am curious about this as well. I just downloaded the mods, and extracted the files. Put them all in a nice 2 folders... But OpenMW on the Switch doesn't have the meshes or texture folders there. So... Do I just drop them in data files?

17. zniel0

zniel0 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 13, 2018
    United States
    All in the data folder. Works for me

18. Underprivlidged

Underprivlidged Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    Ok, so put the "meshes" and "textures" folders in /switch/openmw/data? Or /switch/openmw/data/Data Files?

19. terrabyte25

terrabyte25 Member

Newcomer
    Jan 29, 2019
    United States
    "Data Files", the same directory as Morrowind.esm.

Underprivlidged likes this.
  20. notimp

notimp GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2007
    Installed the Project Atlas and Morrowind Optimization Patches as well (Atlas after Morrowind Optimization Patches), no issues. :)

Also still had to make another video about dungeon exploration and tavern talk. In my previous videos conversation partners in larger venues tended to die on arrival (probably a savegame related bug (from the transfered over Xbox savegame) ;)), so I hadn't had those moments in the past videos yet. :)

Video also shows performance with the mesh/texture optimization patches installed for the first time. (And the three settings tweaks from the posting with the screenshot, and cell preloading set to true in one of the default .cfg files that come with OpenMW for switch.)

Last edited by notimp, Jun 10, 2019
    yondertoy likes this.