OpenLara - GBA port

EvilJagaGenius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How will the full version work? I presume you can't distribute a GBA ROM with all of Tomb Raider 1 in it. Will we need to compile it with the Tomb Raider data ourselves, like with the PrBoom port?

Technicmaster0

Trophies
Website
www.flashkarten.tk
XP
Country
Gambia, The
How will the full version work? I presume you can't distribute a GBA ROM with all of Tomb Raider 1 in it. Will we need to compile it with the Tomb Raider data ourselves, like with the PrBoom port?
Probably. Or maybe he can write a tool that converts and attaches the assets to the rom. GBFS like.

Reactions: XProger

hias

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Wow, great work! :-)
Unfortunately the provided ROM does not work with my very old "SuperCard CF to GBA Adapter". (it loads, but displays only a black screen)
Is there a way to fix this on my end?

XProger

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Wow, great work! :-)
Unfortunately the provided ROM does not work with my very old "SuperCard CF to GBA Adapter". (it loads, but displays only a black screen)
Is there a way to fix this on my end?
Check this ROM please, or this in case if the first one won't work

Last edited by XProger,
Reactions: zfreeman and hias

TheHandsomeDan

Trophies
Website
fetlife.com
XP
Country
Hi guys, I'm the lead developer of OpenLara engine.
More than year ago I released a tech demo, back then I was not sure that the GBA is capable for such game. But over time I improved my ARM skills, found new ways to optimize rendering and logic. The result is what I can honestly call an alpha version. There are many further improvements in the plan, as well as optimization of content and video to fit the entire Tomb Rader game in a 32 MB cartridge, but so far only 3 levels are available.
Just wanted to say "thanks", it's so great to see people still doing really great things with the GBA hardware. You're doing impressive work, I look forward to seeing more!

Reactions: XProger

Charli

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It can be compiled now, here's the latest commit, there have been a few changes since Github's binary. Maybe not related to GBA, idk.
Thanks, this includes fixes for a few minor issues with the GBA version:
  • #392 Fixes Lara losing tracking of enemies in her left tangent when she should still be tracking them, and restoring Lara's torso and head rotations when a target has been properly lost.
  • #389 Fix minor bug with Lara being able to draw weapons immediately after trying to exit a body of water
  • fix "No" sound (commit)

Last edited by Charli,
Reactions: zfreeman

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Two more:

commit 0a481523b124a11f302f740f400d1aa44738ff0d (HEAD -> master, origin/master, origin/HEAD)
Author: XProger <[email protected]>
Date: Fri Jan 21 04:34:34 2022 +0300

#368 fix weapon state while moving the block

commit 2c8f55a22b2dc25bc82d3dab0aebe04e61e82d9f
Author: XProger <[email protected]>
Date: Fri Jan 21 04:24:52 2022 +0300

#368 GBA TEX_2PX akill texturing, fix FTA/GTA unaligned VRAM write

Attachments

• OpenLara.7z
    4 MB · Views: 44

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
New changes. I have been testing it and the latest changes could have broken some things, for example the two bears positions in the second level are weird, the first tries to clip through walls and the second is in the second floor! I have never seen it there. Bats act weird as well. I guess XProger has downgraded the IA to save cycles, maybe?

Slow memory has made it compatible with more platforms, like some flashcards, open_agb_firm and such, but it tends to crash after a while, randomly, sometimes it can be completed, other times it just crash.

Adrian-E-C

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi guys, I'm the lead developer of OpenLara engine.
More than year ago I released a tech demo, back then I was not sure that the GBA is capable for such game. But over time I improved my ARM skills, found new ways to optimize rendering and logic. The result is what I can honestly call an alpha version. There are many further improvements in the plan, as well as optimization of content and video to fit the entire Tomb Rader game in a 32 MB cartridge, but so far only 3 levels are available.

I cant help but think of the implications of this for other PS1 games potentially finding their way to GBA. Is this even possible? One of my biggest complaints of the GBA library was the lack of many M rated games, especially survival horror.

How likely is it that this could lead to something like RE3 (the smallest of the original RE games, and my personal fav) being in the realm of possible on GBA?

What would be required to achieve such a task?

Reactions: assassinz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs