opening a crt

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by steveroo, Nov 30, 2014.

1. steveroo
    OP

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    I'm on my second crt for retro gaming. I don't want to let this 28" toshiba go, because of a black and white picture from svideo. I think I broke the input from a tilting the tv in tate postion or else pulling the coaxil to the limit and it interfered with the svideo.

What I'm getting at is; is it safe to open a crt and solder a svideo female cord to theoriginal female input on the tv? or would I get shocked and possibly die? I've read that the power being held is in the tube it's self....

I just like the diy and not having to drag my crt to a thrift store and look online for another free tv.

2. assassinz

assassinz Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!

Mar 17, 2003
    United States
    The Internet
    I think you should be fine. Just keep away from the tube and areas marked as high voltage.

3. war2thegrave

war2thegrave GBAtemp Regular

Feb 12, 2010
    United States
    check out some youtube videos on discharging a crt and you should be fine.

4. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    What the others said. CRTs can be dangerous if you do not know what you are doing with them, however the lower voltage mainboards should be like anything else in electronics.

What I am more here to say though is before you start soldering do check the colour modes/decode modes on the TV. I see it a lot around here when people try this sort of thing and the TV decides to use a different decode mode (even if it was working fine before). It is not a great feeling to realise you just needed to press a button (often just the one) but you spent a while soldering beforehand. Admittedly this is in Europe where TV have a nice range of decode modes, North American stuff tends to be a bit weaker so it may be considerably less likely, however it is still worth a scan of the manual first (the button may be a different one to the normal picture mode -- my old samsung one had it on the red teletext button which was odd).

matpower likes this.
  5. steveroo
    OP

steveroo GBAtemp Fan

Dec 13, 2010
    Canada
    Oak Bay
    Thanks for everone's help on this tread.

I picked up a free sony triniton and didn't do the repair. I heard the picture and sound is better than the toshiba. only difference I notice is less hum when tv is on with the sony, I can change inputs manually on front of tv, different picture modes and there is no off hue on websites using a svideo to my computer. All in all, I got a better tv.