mudrik

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Turkey
Hi all!

libnds 3D API is very similar to OpenGL, but it's not quite the same. Yet, at a first sight it wouldn't seem too difficult to create a wrapper library to increase compatibility, in order to make porting of existing games easier.
Has anyone studied the possibility of realizing such a wrapper? Or do you know if there is already a project for it? A quick search online didn't lead to any results.

Reactions: NotImpLife

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I saw one to go more in for directX approaches once.

Anyway I am not aware of such a project and doubt there will be -- DS stuff like this is mostly considered a finished affair at this point. This also says nothing of such things being possible -- the DS 3d hardware (which I know a lot more about) is rather limited compared to most things openGL will have and I would have to ask if the limitations you see in the library are caused by hardware limitations rather than programmer laziness, lack of concern or the like.

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The libnds OpenGL wrapper is fairly good for simple usage. But the ds 3d is quirky enough that in almost ever case creating something to target the ds hardware directly is going to be a better solution.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
If you read the following sources very, very carefully, you'll figure out pretty quickly how OpenGL 1.0 ports (WIN32 [Visual Studio 2012] to GX 3D hardware (ToolchainGenericDS + VideoGL), including how OpenGL accelerated DisplayLists API through NDS GX FIFO!) can be pulled off:

this

then

this (Which consists of a single codebase shared between WIN32 GLUT [OpenGL API] and NDS GX 3D VideoGL library, even using a single light per scene.)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended