Oops! Accidentally updated to 10.2 :p

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by mashers, Oct 28, 2015.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I booted into recovery mode to delete the update and stop the nag but forgot to turn wifi off. I feel like such a noob! I totally freaked out when I saw the progress bar appear thinking I had just made a huge, huge mistake. Thank goodness I've got a Cubic Nin cart and Ironhax 1.1 and don't care about future kernel hacks, so this won't actually affect me at all. But just to caution others to quadruple check you've turned wifi off before trying to delete the update :lol:

fmkid, nxwing, KingVamp and 3 others like this.

2. br3compactor

br3compactor GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2015
    Brazil
    lol Everyone makes mistakes, I guess

3. lolzvid

lolzvid GBAtemp Regular

Dec 26, 2014
    Brazil
    You could have switched the WiFi off during the update, that helped me saving my 3DS updating from 9.2 to 9.3.

4. A_Random_Guy

A_Random_Guy Officially That Dev

May 22, 2015
    Malaysia
    Smea's closet
    I thought this is the end of Grid Launcher. Gratefully, you still have other exploits

Pingu likes this.
  5. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    So did i! I was sitting in bed drinking tea when I did it, turned to my other half who was next to me and I literally shouted "I've just completely fucked my DS! After all this work I can't use my own launcher any more!" I got his DS to swap SD cards as his is still on 9.9, but then calmed down and realised that my hax will still work :rofl:

Ammako, SoyAlexPop, nxwing and 3 others like this.
  6. Marko76

Marko76 GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Clydebank
    It's nice to know that a genius like Mashers is prone to moments of madness just like any other person lol

7. JJTapia19

JJTapia19 I fight for my friends.

May 31, 2015
    Puerto Rico
    Pressing on cancel on the recovery screen also deletes the update nag even with wifi enabled :teach: Glad you have cubic ninja @mashers. That was a close one!

Zidapi likes this.
  8. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Heh, I wouldn't say genius. The real geniuses are people like smea who do the hard part and find the hax!

I wa followings YouTube video where somebody did it with an o3DS. I saw him flick a switch on the edge but never having used an O3DS I thought it was the power so ignored it. I now realise it must have been a physical wifi switch!

This did get me wondering actually why Nintendo can't do anything about Cubic Ninja. I realise they can't update the game since it's on a cart, but couldn't they patch whatever vulnerability the exploit takes advantage of, or block the game from running at all?

Ammako likes this.
  9. Baccabechoppin

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    Why patch a game that people still "play"?

10. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Does anybody actually play CN?!

11. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    Take your nand backup and get a hard mod done by @gamesquest1 so you can flash it back.

12. Baccabechoppin

Baccabechoppin GBAtemp's Finest Bacca!

Aug 10, 2015
    Australia
    Magnolia Town
    There might be a chance that some uneducated people still do, that's why I put quotes around play. I don't really think Nintendo would block a game because if people still played it it would cause some outrage :P

Ammako and daxtsu like this.
  13. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I don't have a NAND backup. I thought you needed to be on <=9.2 to do that.

Oh I see. Well, judging by their recent updates I would think Nintendo would rather have the outrage of a few people than all of us... *gasp*... playing emulators on our 3DSs :P

Baccabechoppin likes this.
  14. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    NVM I assumed someone like you had a console below 9.2 disregard what I said then.

15. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Oh bloody hell, if I was <=9.2 before then I would be fucking furious right now! No, I was already on 9.9 ;)

Ammako likes this.
  16. Xenon Hacks

Xenon Hacks GBAtemp Guru

Nov 13, 2014
    United States
    You should sell the one you have now and buy a new Old 3DS or XL they will be below 9.2 or you can go to gamestop (or is it EB games for you guys?) and check the firmware of used units.

17. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Well, I'm only really interested in homebrew and I like owning carts so I don't have any need for CFW :)

18. SomeGamer

SomeGamer Within Hyrule Castle

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    They would need to fix gspwn, which is almost a hardware flaw, I really think that they just can't patch the vuln, so they patch the entrypoints.

Ammako likes this.
  19. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Oh I see. So the only option would be to completely block CN from running, or perhaps deny it access to the camera so it cannot scan the QR code (though PowerSaves would still be an option for injecting the NH save...)

20. SomeGamer

SomeGamer Within Hyrule Castle

Dec 19, 2014
    Hungary
    Yeah, but they wouldn't do it, because it affects people legimately playing the game.

Ammako likes this.