OnLive

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I'm making this thread because I'm looking for OnLive players. OnLive is my second gaming platform behind the Wii and I just wanted to add a place here on Temp for honest OnLive conversation. Yes the service is just a year old and there ate still some things that need to be fixed but still, I'm a firm believer of the service. Anywho, lets get a conversation started!

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Onlive plays PC games, so...

That's true but OnLive is a separate platform From Steam or just buying and installing PC games. Onlive is on Windows, Mac, Android and iOS and they even have their own Micro Console (which has specs that are way more powerful than a Wii and comes close to a 360). To just toss the argument that "It just plays PC games doesn't do it justice." Steam "just plays PC games yet nobody treats Steam as if it's not a platform. OnLive is a platform hard and software wise and pretty soon you will see their Micro Consoles being sold next to the major three home consoles at your local retailer.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
i'm going to try Onlive on my macbook and see how it performs.

though I am located in China so I dont expect much
tongue.gif

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
onlivesucks.PNG

can't even try it
frown.gif

Considering that OnLive's UK servers aren't even up, I'm not surprised. You could always try a proxy. What's your connection speed?

Posts merged

QUOTE(Costello @ Jun 21 2011, 02:04 AM)
onlivesucks.PNG

can't even try it
frown.gif

Considering that OnLive's UK servers aren't even up, I'm not surprised. You could always try a proxy. What's your connection speed?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The difference between OnLive and Steam is that OnLive just plays already-existing PC games (unless something major has changed lately). Therefore it would best go into the computers section, since 90% of it applies to computers (even most of the platforms it runs on would belong there).

A proxy's just going to make latency worse.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
The difference between OnLive and Steam is that OnLive just plays already-existing PC games (unless something major has changed lately). Therefore it would best go into the computers section, since 90% of it applies to computers (even most of the platforms it runs on would belong there).

A proxy's just going to make latency worse.

OnLive just gained a lot of ground at E3 and the service isnt just a bunch of old PC games. They get plenty of new games and the new browser will put the others to shame. Check this next video out to get an idea of the possibilities that OnLive offers that normal PC gaming does not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoX0bs10-Vs...be_gdata_player

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I did not say "old", I said "already-existing". As in, PC games.

Steam has games created just for it. OnLive so far does not (I have not heard of this and the presentation you linked didn't mention that), it plays already-existing games (just like the GBA SP plays GBA games).

It plays computer games and runs on primarily personal computer hardware (such as desktops, laptops netbooks, that sort of thing).

Even in the cases where it does not, it stills run PC games, so I believe the small number of OnLive topics can just go in the computer section.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
I did not say "old", I said "already-existing". As in, PC games.

Steam has games created just for it. OnLive so far does not (I have not heard of this and the presentation you linked didn't mention that), it plays already-existing games (just like the GBA SP plays GBA games).

It plays computer games and runs on primarily personal computer hardware (such as desktops, laptops netbooks, that sort of thing).

Even in the cases where it does not, it stills run PC games, so I believe the small number of OnLive topics can just go in the computer section.

I feel ya. The thing is I hear that exclusives are coming but I think OnLive really needs to buy a few small developers. -another thought, why don't we have a PC gaming section created with three sections, Steam, OnLive an Direct Installs? Actually talking about PC gaming is different than talking about PC's in the sense of general hard/software and buying/tinkering. The E3 presentation I linked to is pretty cool and OnLive has a lot of stuff planned for the summer. I cant wait to see where things go within the year.

doyama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having a sub-section for OnLive seems pre-mature since it's not a mature platform yet.

Also considering that digital distribution is quickly becoming the norm, rather than the exception, separating 'direct intsall' vs 'digital install' is probably going to be moot in about 2 years.

I don't really see Online going too far with their device. They were wise in not charging too much money for the base console. However I think the business model is going to be difficult to sustain over time.

I think Gaikai has a much better and sustainable business model. Charging businesses money to have instant-on demos of their game. Especially since they can integrate into Facebook or their websites. This to me seems to be a better future for 'streaming' gaming.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
doyama said:
Having a sub-section for OnLive seems pre-mature since it's not a mature platform yet.

Also considering that digital distribution is quickly becoming the norm, rather than the exception, separating 'direct intsall' vs 'digital install' is probably going to be moot in about 2 years.

I don't really see Online going too far with their device. They were wise in not charging too much money for the base console. However I think the business model is going to be difficult to sustain over time.

I think Gaikai has a much better and sustainable business model. Charging businesses money to have instant-on demos of their game. Especially since they can integrate into Facebook or their websites. This to me seems to be a better future for 'streaming' gaming.

It's not as if OnLive isn't making money. heck they make money just by having some random kid login and play demos all day. I wont take any major guesses when it comes to major gaming trends because right now the industry is in total "cluster*uck mode". Anything and everything can happen within the next four years and it's going to be a wild ride. I will say this. If Onlive can get their service to run a bit better then it is now and actually start streaming the same games that the next gen systems will have, Gamers will have a tough choice on their hands. Buy a console @ 300-600 dollars or download an app or buy a 90 dollar Micro Console and just stream games which might be sold to you at a slightly reduced price due to a lack of a disc. If you're a gamer on a budget and I'm sure most of us are, it's going to be a tough choice.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not a big fan for OnLive, since games themselves are running on their servers. You basically own the monitor while they own the computer. On-demand service per say. Games themselves can go away as time passes.

It depends hugely on the internet. Your internet must be high speed, and have low latency.

I like Steam better.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Satangel said:
He's in China. Guess internet isn't that fast there.....
It really depends on where in China he is. In places like Hong Kong, you can easily get twice the speed of anywhere in North America, while small towns probably have a really slow connection.
Besides, I doubt the speed matters. Think of the the time it takes for data from the US to travel to the other side of the world (the ping). Since OnLive is a live streaming service based in the US, I'm pretty sure the ping would be too long to be playable, regardless of if he has a fast internet or not.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
trumpet-205 said:
I'm not a big fan for OnLive, since games themselves are running on their servers. You basically own the monitor while they own the computer. On-demand service per say. Games themselves can go away as time passes.

It depends hugely on the internet. Your internet must be high speed, and have low latency.

I like Steam better.

The need for a high connection wont always be there. I have a 5mb/s high latency connection and I can get fairly decent gaming session when the internet isn't in "prime time". OnLive's minimum is 3mb/s and when Tablet and SD support comes out, the minimum will drop to 1.5mb/s. Changes are coming so the current hate isn't deserved.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."