Review OnLive Review

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Seeing as I get a crappy internet connection Onlive refuses to work for me at all. It says something about not having a good enough connection and won't let me start up the program.

So much for this 'new age of gaming'.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I just signed up though I had a hard time because of my American account. Thank God for the +'s you can enter into gmail e-mails.

Apparently I have to wait while they finish activating my account and then I'll test out some games on my netbook. :3

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wizerzak said:
Seeing as I get a crappy internet connection Onlive refuses to work for me at all. It says something about not having a good enough connection and won't let me start up the program.

So much for this 'new age of gaming'.

No offense, but there's a difference between OnLive having high requirements and you just having a shit internet connection. I wouldn't bash OnLive, I'd more so bash your ISP.

The UK just has significantly different internet services than over here. Over here it works fine.

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is strange. Upgraded my internet speed from 3MBps to 6MBps. The graphics improved a lot on onlive, but now the gameplay can get real glitchy at times, it never glitched while on the 3MBps speed.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
blahkamehameha said:
This is strange. Upgraded my internet speed from 3MBps to 6MBps. The graphics improved a lot on onlive, but now the gameplay can get real glitchy at times, it never glitched while on the 3MBps speed.

How so?

Only thing I noticed is sometimes the image freezes but the game keeps playing. It takes a few seconds for it to get back on track. I think that's more of a computer issue than an OnLive issue though.

Also notice that some games have some actions that give temporary bad input delay. Like I was playing Homefront (it was on sale yesterday, shut up) and whenever I picked up a document or whatever and exited it, it'd be really delayed for a few seconds. Nothing major but just an odd occurence.

Side note: There's a THQ sale all week, different titles on sale every day. Yesterday was Homefront at half off, today is Metro 2033 at 75% off. THQ does Red Faction, Warhammer 40k, and Darksiders for reference, so they may be going on sale. I'm hoping for Darksiders to be at like $5... Or Space Marine to be really cheap.

rdurbin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is 8 THQ games on onlive, there are 7 days for the sale. Most likely they wont put the new space marine game on sale, so we will most likely get the other 7

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, my thinking was better internet speed = smoother gameplay. that's why I found it strange that gameplay actually got worse (though with better graphics)

maybe it has to do with my linksys wrt54g. maybe it's hard for it to stabilize the 6MBps connection, where it could the 3MBps one.

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I heard that you need to to be connected to the internet via cable in order to use OnLive. Is it true you can't use OnLive with computers using WiFi for internet access?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
RE4zombie said:
I heard that you need to to be connected to the internet via cable in order to use OnLive. Is it true you can't use OnLive with computers using WiFi for internet access?
You'll hear a lot of "wireless sucks" from people that don't know how it works and set theirs up incorrectly.
tongue.gif

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In response to the THQ comment:
Homefront was on sale for 50% 2 days ago(50% off or I think 60% off for subscribers)
Metro 2033 was on sale yesterday(75% off or 82% off for subscribers, basically $3.50 for subscribers)
Darksiders is on sale today(same as Metro 2033, $3.50 for subscribers)

The sale lasts till Sunday. There's 8 THQ games on OnLive:
- Red Faction: Guerrilla DONE(same as others)
- Darksiders DONE
- Metro 2033 DONE
- Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Chaos Rising
- Homefront DONE
- MX vs. ATV: Reflex DONE(same as other deals)
- Red Faction: Armageddon
- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (might not go on sale since its new)

No telling what game will be on sale next. So if anyone's interested in trying the service and maybe possibly buying a game then this is a good time to start.

*EDIT* MX vs. ATV: Reflex is on sale today. $5 for normal users or $3.50 for subscribers.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I just bought Darksiders, I've been waiting for it to go on sale.

Odds are Red Faction will come up next (probably Guerrilla). That's about all I need from THQ unless, by some divine power, Space Marine goes on sale.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work