FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
While I had heard of them before ( https://www.cracked.com/personal-ex...elping-people-cheat-at-college-for-money.html being one such thing. RIP the once amusing version of cracked.) the following popped up as something to watch so thought I would

Short version. There are services out there that allow people at least theoretically engaging with seemingly any level of education to have essays written for them, some even claiming to mimic your writing style. Apparently they have also got to be quite popular in higher education.

Now I am years out of school, and I doubt anybody that reads more than a few posts of mine (never mind that I do work for) would take issue with a claim that I am quite content to write my own essays even then (to say nothing of my general opinion that grades are boring and I would rather learn something), but I am curious about it all.

Anybody had an experience with the services, seen others use such services* or indeed written for such services? One of the articles I saw had some engaged in writing the things claim they did it for any number of subjects, which I both don't doubt but also have some doubts as to the end results (XKCD because why not https://xkcd.com/451/ ) but in most cases I would rather have a subject matter expert.

*in a previous discussion on nootropics aka smart drugs ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/nootropics-smart-drugs-thoughts-and-opinions.399108/ ) some reckoned it would provide an unfair advantage. While I still think grading on a curve is stupid then even with such things I was not inclined to follow along with such logic. This however makes curves even more dubious a concept and thus I would actually deem it an unfair advantage, even if the end result you got/handed in was drivel. By extension no chance of catching me writing for such things -- as it stands then even around here I make it a policy to not do someone's homework for them, though I will help them along in the right direction. Closest I would get there is having a discussion/bouncing ideas with someone and checking the end results of their writing, which is what people do in universities if they are doing it right, is pretty much the definition of peer review for even higher end academics, and much the same in almost every profession I have otherwise interacted with (certainly science, medicine, law and engineering. General accounting not so much but forensic accounting most definitely.).

I don't know that I agree with legal sanctions for engaging with or running such services, even without the tissue thin veneer of "they are inspiration works", though content enough for said universities to say "goodbye my son" should they catch on (don't know what goes about operating a sting as it were, though that is mainly because you would be facilitating it for others at least and that is dubious).

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
problem is the professors tools to detect such plagiarism are getting more advanced the only way to defeat their tools make sure the writer does it personally (meaning not mass copy portions of the essay (this is one reason i self taught my skills couldn't write as essay to save my life) also i have no debt but no credit line either

AliceTras

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Sometimes we all have problem with study and writing especially.To create a good essay you need to be interested in its topic.But this is not always possible.I often have no motivation to write such works.And I often use different services.After all, we all dream of getting good grades.Well, or get more free time.

scubersteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
a few years ago when i first dropped out of university i took up writing papers for high schoolers, advertising my services on craigslist. i made a few dozen hundred dollars writing about books i'd already read but very quickly got bored of having to repackage the same talking points over and over again, and the paranoia of having all these writings traced back to me only grew as i continued to do this sort of work...needless to say, i stopped doing it as soon as i had an actually legitimate income

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
i made a few dozen hundred dollars writing about books i'd already read
wow really interesting! how much were your prices, and did you ever give the same essay to more than one customer?
how often did you get feedback from the student, with the grade?
I want to know more!

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

scubersteve

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
wow really interesting! how much were your prices, and did you ever give the same essay to more than one customer?
how often did you get feedback from the student, with the grade?
I want to know more!
most often it was 12th grade students who actually "needed" the grade for their college applications; these papers were typically 1500-2000words max, and priced myself at $150/assignment...i heavily drew inspiration from the papers i wrote when i myself was in high school only a few years prior, but i always made an effort to make every single one "unique"...i would never take two assignments from the same class in the same semester, that felt like i would have been setting myself up... the people who bought the papers would be happy with it as soon as i showed it to them, like, they could read it and see that it was grammatically correct, that i made mention of important points in whatever book the essay was about (because all of these teachers and classes want the same answers for these supposedly "open-ended" questions)...i never really asked about the actual grade the papers got but they'd recommend me to friends who were taking the same class next semester, so i must have been doing something right

zellko

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used such services when I was studying at the university. I remember when I was preparing my research papers on literature, I was terribly late. I addressed for help and they saved me in the last week before the deadline. So such services need to exist even though someone things this is a plagiarism. But I indeed think if a person is studying well, they'll know how to turn it in to own advantage.

Last edited by zellko,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I just want a Pokemon Hell Raiser fan game 😭
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Anyone wanna play with my joydock
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Biomutant looks cool tho, may have to try that
  • Quincy @ Quincy:
    Usually when such a big title leaks the Temp will be the first to report about it (going off of historical reports here, Pokemon SV being the latest one I can recall seeing pop up here)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I still like how a freaking mp3 file hacks webos all that security defeated by text yet again
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have simulators for everything nowdays, cray cray. How about a sim that shows you playing the Switch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's called yuzu
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I want a 120hz 4k tv but crazy how more expensive the 120hz over the 60hz are. Or even more crazy is the price of 8k's.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No real point since movies are 30fps
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Not a big movie buff, more of a gamer tbh. And Series X is 120hz 8k ready, but yea only 120hz 4k games out right now, but thinking of in the future.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Mostly why you never see TV manufacturers going post 60hz
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I only watch tv when i goto bed, it puts me to sleep, and I have a nas drive filled w my fav shows so i can watch them in order, commercial free. I usually watch Married w Children, or South Park
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Stremio ruined my need for nas
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I stream from Nas to firestick, one on every tv, and use Kodi. I'm happy w it, plays everything. (I pirate/torrent shows/movies on pc, and put on nas)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Kodi repost are still pretty popular
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What the hell is Kodi reposts? what do you mean, or "Wut?" -xdqwerty
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Google them basically web crawlers to movie sites
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    oh you mean the 3rd party apps on Kodi, yea i know what you mean, yea there are still a few cool ones, in fact watched the new planet of the apes movie other night w wifey thru one, was good pic surprisingly, not a cam
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Damn, only $2.06 and free shipping. Gotta cost more for them to ship than $2.06
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I got my Dad a firestick for Xmas and showed him those 3rd party sites on Kodi, he loves it, all he watches anymore. He said he has got 3 letters from AT&T already about pirating, but he says f them, let them shut my internet off (He wants out of his AT&T contract anyways)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That's where stremio comes to play never got a letter about it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just use a VPN, even give him my login and password so can use it also, and he refuses, he's funny.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted. No text, no internet, only phone calls. Old, old school.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I had to find and get him an old style flip phone even without text, cause thats what he wanted...