gokujr1000

OP
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
11318051708.jpg

[P= ]Patrick Campbell was 14 when the stroke came. He was in gym at school, felt a pain in his head, and went to his locker. He thought it was strange that he couldn't recall the combination. A girl came by and asked if he was okay. That's all he remembers.

When he came to in the hospital, he'd lost the use of the entire right side of his body.

Today, he's 21, a student in San Francisco. Through hard training and the support of his family, he's learned how to walk, albeit slightly slower than an able-bodied person of his age. He says he has a speech impediment, but it's barely noticeable. However, he has never regained the use of his right hand, and likely never will.

As a 14-year-old Campbell loved two things - drawing and gaming. He is naturally right-handed. The stroke robbed him of both these passions.

"When I came out of the hospital I went to a friend's house and he was playing Super Smash Bros., which was a game that I had loved to play. I just couldn't play without my right hand. I thought that it was over for me as a gamer."

But that sense of defeat didn't last long. He started to draw pictures with his left hand, and began to regain his previous skills, as well as a new artistic direction born of his experience. He picked up game controllers and experimented, ramming the controller on his leg and using every finger available to master the buttons.

Today, he plays games well. He's no pro-gamer, but in an online head-to-head game, you'd better be good if you want to own him. "I play online a lot. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose. But if I'm playing, say, a driving game of eight players, I'll always come first, second or third."

There are no genres closed off to him, although he prefers action games, fighters, drivers and shooters. The only trouble he gets are from games that make use of the d-pad and shoulder buttons at the same time, but he's figured out a way to deal with this, shaping his hand around the problem.

"Friends play me and seeing that I use one hand, figure they'll win. But I usually kick ass," he says.

Campbell is studying illustration. He wants to work in the games industry and practices his art by drawing the people he knows and by creating monsters, minions and anti-heroes.

His favorite character is called Xepher, a warrior with robotic arms. "I'd like to be more like him" he says. "Having robotic arms would be great, but more than that, he just doesn't care what people think about him. People look at me because they see I'm different and I get tired of that. But I can't just stop caring, otherwise I wouldn't have achieved the things that I have."[/P]

icon11.gif
Source

I think it's great to see that even after his stroke he still did what he loved to do, good on him!

Reactions: 2 people

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hell yeah Guild, I could say the same myself!

Everyone I deal with at work needs to read this, and stop being so damn greedy.

If a guy can kick ass at Video games and life with only one arm, then he definitely deserves my respect.

Reactions: 1 person

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Even with all of this shit going on, he still pursues his goal.

He's a real hero for the physically impaired people.

Now somebody's gotta go find that guy and show him all of the comments on this thread. He deserves it.

post moar guys

Reactions: 1 person

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's impressive that he can use a two-handed pad with one hand, especially with fast-paced action games. Back in the PS1 days I broke my wrist so bought one of these -

ascii-grip.jpg

I was absolutely useless with it so had to stick to turn-based RPG's and Music2000 until the cast was removed.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Know what this guy would be good with? Simple Wii games.

That controller really is neat. it's the first official controller designed to be wielded with one hand.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYZD7ykz9aQ