PC Engine Mini Announced

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
So surprised they actually made this. Hands on says its 85% of the size of the original with the controllers still being the same size. Would've imported the Japanese version for extra geek points but they've gone proper old school and used the non Turbo Pad version (which the US/EU gets as standard).

Wonder how the emulation quality will be? Mini Megadrive is shaping up to even better than the SNES thanks to M2 being involved, lets hope this follows suit instead of taking Sonys approach.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It all boils to quality, not quantity...

"That lame brand owner" (Sucky, I mean, sony) can't understand that.

Hope Konami does.

Nintendo did put the flag way up and away from most copycats!

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I heard a rumour it could be M2 for emulation again but that seems unlikely to me. The fact that they've announced CD titles is huge though. If they go a step further and do Arcade card compatibility I'm pre-ordering.

I was considering an SSD3 earlier this year but so glad I waited now.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
The only thing that makes sense from the M2 rumor is that they did help out Konami with some collection on another console but the link is very tenuous. Still it would be great if they were.

Are you getting a EU/US or JAP version @subcon959? I really want to keep it funky and get the original white one but the lack of Turbo pad seems like a huge oversight so it might have to be the not so sexy UK one.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you getting a EU/US or JAP version @subcon959? I really want to keep it funky and get the original white one but the lack of Turbo pad seems like a huge oversight so it might have to be the not so sexy UK one.
My first choice is a white one as I've already got a CoreGrafx and TurboGrafx (oddball PAL version). The controller thing is a real issue though since I mostly like the shmups so I guess I'll see if they sell extra pads or just get a UK one too.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Yepm, shmups without turbo? Eughck! Its such an odd choice, super keeping it real as thats what the first gen shipped with but really strange considering they added the Turbo Pad to the other releases but not the JAP one. I mean this:

japanpalm.jpg

Just looks absolutely wonderful. This:

europepalm.jpg

Not so much...

WHITE POWER!

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Interesting development. Konami JP are asking the people what they want to see on the machine and the top 20 requested are:

D9pALj3VUAAQbGh.png

https://www.konami.com/games/inquiry/jp/

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
What if it's AtGames? :P:lol:

(even joking about it hurts)

NOT EVEN IN JEST!!!1111!!

One thing I am wondering is how they're going to decide region specific games? If you look at the release list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TurboGrafx-16_games

You see how loads of the best titles stayed in Japan. The initial PCE foray into the UK/EU was via that semi official French company and before them the importers so they must know there is a market, just how will they cater to it?

Going by the NA Wii U VC list is probably going to be a good guess as we know those titles have no licensing issues and were their first round picks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...s_for_Wii_U_(North_America)#NEC_TurboGrafx-16

Really quite hyped for this, hopefully enough people email them about the white PCE needing a Turbo Pad and then I can just import that although I have started to come round to the CoreGRAFX a bit more as the design is quite a nice refresh but that huge blue logo, eugchk! Maybe its just the OG associations with the white one same as the Super Famicom was - which is another case of the USA getting the crappiest design again! Still its very impressive that they are actually making three different types instead of just giving Japan fanservice and leaving the other regions out in the cold.

Personally I think these Mini consoles are wonderful as I dislike rPi and its emulation/nerdiness. Ease of use, instant boot, emulator features, super cute looks, original control pads, HDMI output, quite decent emulation and the ability to customize - whats not to enjoy?

Last edited by Deleted member 42501,

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've set up an email notification for Play Asia to tell me when ordering starts. I've decided to definitely get the white one as anything else just won't feel right. The game list won't be a huge issue as they are bound to get hacked, and hopefully something will be done about the auto-fire issue by then.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Will do but to be honest I'm pretty sure the final product will be fine. We've probably only seen renders so far that were made from the original pad.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Yeah, thats what I'm hoping as the stream said the console models were only prototypes and it would be a strange omission. That said it would be very Konamiesque to sell the white PCE with the standard pad and then rinse a few more bucks from people who want the Turbo upgrade like they've hinted they'll do with the USB hub in a shell aka multitap.

Such a classic machine though, speaking of which the size has been confirmed as 85% of the real one:

turbografx161.jpg

turbografx163.jpg

turbografx164.jpg

Controllers stay the same size. This is also worth paying attention to:

Finally, the various versions of the TurboGrafx-16 mini are only set to be sold in their respective regions. However, Konami have said that they are willing to look into releasing the other versions as Limited Editions in each respective region if there is enough demand over social media and the like.

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/06/14/a-first-look-at-the-turbografx-16-mini-from-e3-2019/

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it was me, I would release all 3 in each region. When you're mostly relying on nostalgia for sales you're more likely to get people who are willing to double-buy.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: For real for real