PC Engine Mini Announced

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
True but they know the proper OG otakus will import anyway so its less of a financial risk. Gotta say that out of all the Minis ever this is the one that most surprised me and the fact that they didn't just go for the easy money and make it Japan only is wonderful.

After all outside of people who frequent boards such as these how many people ever knew anything about a PCE back in the days or even now? It was super niche.

Was going to order a Jap MD Mini the other day just for those 6 button pads but decided to give it a miss as I'm going to get the white PCE as I'm sure it'll get a lot more play.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think it is more of a surprise for us as we never got a release back in the day, but I'm told it did alright in the US (still niche compared to other consoles). So yeah, I really thought it would be Japan-only if it ever happened.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Some extra info turned up on Amazon Japan.. https://www.amazon.co.jp/b/?ie=UTF8&language=en_US&node=6974564051
The compact version of the classic console currently features a range of 50 retro games containing select titles that overlap in both the TurboGrafx-16 and PC Engine lineup.

The console will be available exclusively on Amazon from March 19th 2020, with an Amazon Prime exclusive pre-order period starting from July 15th.

This is turning into something epic.. I see Sapphire on there so it's not just standard CD games but Arcade Card compatible too, and Daimakaimura which is SuperGrafx!

TurboGrafx-16 Titles
(in English)

• Air Zonk
  • Alien Crush
  • Blazing Lazers
  • Bomberman ‘93
  • Bonk’s Revenge
  • Cadash
  • Chew-Man-Fu
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • J.J. & Jeff
  • Lords Of Thunder
  • Military Madness (Nectaris)
  • Moto Roader
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • New Adventure Island
  • Ninjaspirit
  • Parasol Stars
  • Power Golf
  • Psychosis
  • R-Type
  • Soldier Blade
  • Space Harrier
  • Victory Run
  • Ys Book I&II
PC Engine Titles
(in Japanese)
  • Akumajō Dracula X Chi No Rondo (Castlevania: Rondo Of Blood)
  • Aldynes
  • Appare! Gateball
  • Bomberman ‘94
  • Bomberman Panic Bomber
  • Chō Aniki
  • Daimakaimura (Ghouls ‘N’ Ghosts)
  • Dungeon Explorer
  • Fantasy Zone
  • Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire
  • Gradius (Nemesis)
  • Gradius II – Gofer No Yabō (Nemesis II)
  • Jaseiken Necromancer
  • Nectaris (Military Madness)
  • Neutopia
  • Neutopia II
  • Ninja Ryūkenden (Ninja Gaiden)
  • PC-Genjin (Bonk)
  • Salamander
  • Snatcher
  • Star Parodier (Fantasy Star Soldier)
  • Super Darius
  • Super Momotarō Dentetsu II
  • Super Star Soldier
  • The Kung Fu (China Warrior)
  • Ys I&II

Last edited by subcon959,

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Woop!

core_pdl_installed_tbg_1180x1420_en.jpg

core_pdl_installed_pce_1180x1660_en._CB441807482_.jpg

POINT 01
Save at any time with Quick Save!
The console features a Quick Save function that allows you to save at any point during a game.
Save your progress and continue playing when it's convenient for you!
POINT 02
Choose from various display modes!
Not only is the console ready to plug and play using the included HDMI cable, it also features different modes that let you choose how your games look, such as by replicating the scanlines on a CRT TV.
POINT 03
Simultaneous five-player gaming with a multitap!*
By using a multitap to connect additional controllers, up to five people can play together simultaneously.
*Multitap sold separately.

Turbo Pad is a separate addon, boo! But yay as well! Speculated price is $100 for the PCE and it may be an Amazon exclusive.

Hype!

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
People on other sites are actually complaining that the EU/US releases will feature Jap games! Moaning that they should either translate, leave them out or region lock, WTF? Some people just want to hate for no reason, putting everything as one is dope because that means you don't need to buy multiple SKUs. It does show that they know their Otaku styled audience quite well though as this may be the most fanservicey Mini yet.

Importing the white one suddenly seems like less of an important thing really when you consider the extra cost, import duty and having to buy another pad. But those memories! Arrrghh!

The March 2020 release date only adds fuel to the produced by M2 rumors as it makes sense they don't want this to cut into the MD Mini sales so they can keep those residuals rolling in. Either way, still hyped!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status...iframe/2/twitter.min.html#1149650492751921152

Looking very M2 with the menus here.

Hands on:

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/kikaku/1195989.html

Price confirmed at ¥10500 (around £80) and an Amazon exclusive that you need to be Prime for to preorder.

Decisions..

5_o.jpg

3_o.jpg

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The part I'm not sure about is whether it's an Amazon Japan exclusive or not as there is no mention of it on UK Amazon. If the pre-order date is accurate (3 days from now) then that is a bit strange. I'm pretty sure Prime membership doesn't carry over between regions so that would be a big thumbs down.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Yeah, thats seems really weird because right now it does appear to be that way which is crap. Prime is region locked but I've thought of signing up for a 30 day trial to order it then cancelling but that may cause an issue with the shipping. Hopefully the vocal nerds who are vocally nerding out will get them to see sense.

Sneaky suspicion that Konami might make this scarce on purpose, wait till the scalpers kick in and then join the resellers themselves because thats how they roll...

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They went a weird (lazy) direction with the game list so who knows. It seems like it's gonna be a cool little console so it would be a shame if it's impossible to get hold of, but it does seem likely to me that they would deliberately make fewer units to begin with.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Amazon as exclusive distributors confirmed:

This morning Konami announced the 50 games included in the Mini PC Engine, now comes new details about the European release date and the price of the new mini console, available from the beginning of 2020. [19659002] PC Engine Mini will be on sale starting March 19, 2020 exclusively on Amazon for the price of 89.99 euros, Prime passes will be able to pre-order from July 15, the day of launch of the Amazon Prime Day 2019, at the moment we do not know when the preorders will open for all customers.

Konami then chooses to contact the giant Amazon for the European distribution of the CoreGrafx Mini PC Engine (this is the official name on our continent) thus ignoring physical stores, chains of electronics and department stores.

https://freegamesapk.org/2019/pc-en...n-prime-day-the-price-in-europe-revealed.html

The Turbo Pad in white isn't official as its made by Hori as are the accessories.

Can't do the free Prime/cancel thing in Japan as you apparently need to have an active account when it ships.

UK/FR/GB Amazon will be listing the PAL model, the States gets that nasty looking thing and Japan gets the original.

90 bucks retail is quite steep all things considered, they really are screwing the handful of people that actually want to buy this.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn they're really trying their best to make it difficult for fans to get hold of one of these. I guess Amazon won't take any money for the pre-order so there's nothing to lose but still.. limiting to Prime-only members is a shitty move.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Was reading earlier that the reason for the Amazon exclusivity and huge lead time is so they can secure the funding, know how many to expect to sell and then manufacture accordingly so they don't end up in PS Classic land. The other side says that its all due to Amazon wanting to have something new to list on Prime Day to get the traffic. Either way it does seem Konami is cheaping out everywhere it can...

They've also botched a few of the game select screens due to not licensing the cover art and that looks really crap as it sticks out so much. Here's hoping its easily hackable at least so we can fix that.

Part of me isn't keen on dropping nearly a hundred on this with so little info and so much speculation because the emulation could be crap even though its hard to mess up the PCE you never know with Konami and their cash grabs.

subcon959

@!#?@!
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Prime day thing is weird because if they wanted some big launch event then why haven't they been advertising the crap out of it for the last few weeks? Even a couple days before Prime day there is zero mention of it on UK Amazon.

It's also really strange that a company as big as Konami is taking such a cautious approach instead of just concentrating on delivering a solid product.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Its a quick money grab, thats all. Konami have evidently cut corners everywhere on it and are aiming to maximize profits whilst limiting their own exposure. Advertising costs money so they're obviously counting on nerds like us to spread the word for free, having Amazon handle all the distro cuts the overheads whilst maximizing profits as well.

This Mini is going to be as niche as the original was way back when it seems.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
Links are up on Amazon Japan:

JP:

EUR:

USA:

Multitap:

Turbo Pad:

Spoke to Amazon UK and they didn't have a clue about this release so it appears we may just have to import them all, irrespective of where you are. You'll need to click the 30 day Prime trial to order the JP PCE to the UK.

Can cancel the preorders anyway unlike the JP MD Mini so dive in in case this is the way they're going to go.

Deleted member 42501

Trophies
XP
No free shipping, they calculate that at checkout along with prepaid import duty which brings the cost in at around 15000 Yen that exchanges to £110.

It really is looking more and more like this is going to be the only way to get them because why else would they list all 3 SKUs on the Japanese site, complete with regional shipping restrictions depending on the model you pick?

Odd that the accessories are already listed on the US site so thats a glimmer of hope that you will just be able to the order the Core Grafx on the UK site for the £90 as stated earlier. Latest update is from Express who say it should be listed tomorrow:

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...ndo-Sony-PC-Engine-Core-Grafx-mini-games-list

Theres been no prehype, talk and even the staff didn't have a clue about the UK listing so we shall see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://gbatemp.net/threads/ps5-m2sdd-quit-working-in-ps5.622567/page-2 guess I'm not the only...