Hacking Hardware OLED won't boot OFW

terudax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I could use some advice on a problem I'm having with my Switch OLED not booting into OFW. When I boot into OFW using vol +/- or reboot -> OFW it goes straight to a black screen. The screen looks turned off and is not blue, nor is there a backlight of any kind. Just seems dead. It boots perfectly fine to CFW (SYSNAND) and CFW (EMUMMC) using the HATS pack. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find a problem exactly like mine, I apologize in advanced for a long explanation.

A little background on the things that occurred:

I have modded several OLEDs (5 at this point), and have all the gear: microscope, good hot air station, and soldering iron. Unfortunately this time many things went horribly wrong. It started out with my emmc being hynix (only dealt with samsung so far), and then I accidentally lifted the RST point during installation (was modding this at 2am...not a good idea). To restore the RST point, I scraped a small trace coming from RST and attached a wire to it, without connecting it to the resistor (attached a picture below from a another post on these forums). The diode value on B point was reading 2.9V. I tried to boot the switch, the chip would blink yellow/green and never go into training mode.

I decided to experiment further and measured the value of the B point while the chip was on by placing a black prong on the CPU shield, and the red prong on the B point located on the HWFLY. It measured at 2.4V when it was turned on...and if I kept the prongs on the B point it would begin to train...and sometimes boot into OFW and other times boot into hekate. During one of the hekate boots, I decided to dump boot0/1 and the rawnand while I had the chance. I then connected the RST point on the board to the resistor, ran a new wire to point B on the chip and everything was successful: I could boot into hekate with very slow boot / glitching times, around 20s. I tried to boot to OFW after that, and it was a no go. Black screen.

I have read in several places that it could be my hynix emmc being the problem. I decided to replace my nand and give myself an upgrade at the same time. Purchased a brand new samsung 256GB and following another wonderful guide from this community, installed it on my switch. Unfortunately, I am still unable to reach OFW. Black screen every time. Everything else works fine though, including the switch showing 256GB emmc in console info and inside the settings menu.

I know this was a long thread, and I apologize again, but I could really use some expert advice.

Thank you all.

Attachments

• CleanShot 2023-01-04 at 21.53.54@2x.png
    CleanShot 2023-01-04 at [email protected]
    1.3 MB · Views: 120

thesjaakspoiler

Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Might there be a mismatch between the number of fuses and the OFW version?
When you boot with CFW on the SysNand, the fuse count just gets ignored.
But when you boot with OFW on the SysNand, they supposedly get checked.
I recall Hekate can show the fuse count.
This is the list with the fuse count for each firmware version :
https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Fuses#Anti-downgrade

Another possibility might be that there are some incorrect settings in the Hekate config file that are used when you select to boot to OFW.

swutch

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Have you tried it with the "Stock" settings in Hekate ini ? Should boot your switch into OFW without fuse check.
{--- Stock ---}
[Stock (SYSNAND)]
emummc_force_disable=1
fss0=atmosphere/package3
stock=1
{}

terudax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might there be a mismatch between the number of fuses and the OFW version?
When you boot with CFW on the SysNand, the fuse count just gets ignored.
But when you boot with OFW on the SysNand, they supposedly get checked.
I recall Hekate can show the fuse count.
This is the list with the fuse count for each firmware version :
(URL removed)

Another possibility might be that there are some incorrect settings in the Hekate config file that are used when you select to boot to OFW.
Don't think it's fuses. The switch was brand new and came with 15.0.0. Hekate is showing 17-0 for 15.0.0+.

Have you tried it with the "Stock" settings in Hekate ini ? Should boot your switch into OFW without fuse check.
Using the config you posted, everything boots normally. Unfortunately I still can't do reboot -> OFW for w/e reason.

I'm positive Boot0 is corrupted. Use hekate and restore to a known good Boot0. Problem solved.
You are absolutely pro! This fixed my issue. I ended up using EmmcHaccGen to generate a new boot0. It worked! Booted into OFW right away vs hekate. Once I retrained the chip, it glitches instantly and everything works. Thank you so much!

Last edited by terudax,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

gokuz

Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
You are absolutely pro! This fixed my issue. I ended up using EmmcHaccGen to generate a new boot0. It worked! Booted into OFW right away vs hekate. Once I retrained the chip, it glitches instantly and everything works. Thank you so much!

The cause of this is due to mismatch ofw and cfw between nand and sd card. Keep it the same and you won't have any boot0 corruptions. Well, this always happens whenever a new firmware releases. Stop playing ofw awhile during that time.

terudax

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The cause of this is due to mismatch ofw and cfw between nand and sd card. Keep it the same and you won't have any boot0 corruptions. Well, this always happens whenever a new firmware releases. Stop playing ofw awhile during that time.

Can you elaborate further? How did it get mismatched? The switch was modded fresh out of the box and it was never updated on OFW. Both CFW and OFW were always on 15.0.0. Could the boot0 gotten damaged because the RST point was not connected properly? It was glitching slow after training, but now with a fixed boot0 it glitches instantly.

astrall

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
How to update properly? Update cfw (emunand) first then update ofw?

Glatzi

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi everyone!

I could use some advice on a problem I'm having with my Switch OLED not booting into OFW. When I boot into OFW using vol +/- or reboot -> OFW it goes straight to a black screen. The screen looks turned off and is not blue, nor is there a backlight of any kind. Just seems dead. It boots perfectly fine to CFW (SYSNAND) and CFW (EMUMMC) using the HATS pack. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't find a problem exactly like mine, I apologize in advanced for a long explanation.

A little background on the things that occurred:

I have modded several OLEDs (5 at this point), and have all the gear: microscope, good hot air station, and soldering iron. Unfortunately this time many things went horribly wrong. It started out with my emmc being hynix (only dealt with samsung so far), and then I accidentally lifted the RST point during installation (was modding this at 2am...not a good idea). To restore the RST point, I scraped a small trace coming from RST and attached a wire to it, without connecting it to the resistor (attached a picture below from a another post on these forums). The diode value on B point was reading 2.9V. I tried to boot the switch, the chip would blink yellow/green and never go into training mode.

I decided to experiment further and measured the value of the B point while the chip was on by placing a black prong on the CPU shield, and the red prong on the B point located on the HWFLY. It measured at 2.4V when it was turned on...and if I kept the prongs on the B point it would begin to train...and sometimes boot into OFW and other times boot into hekate. During one of the hekate boots, I decided to dump boot0/1 and the rawnand while I had the chance. I then connected the RST point on the board to the resistor, ran a new wire to point B on the chip and everything was successful: I could boot into hekate with very slow boot / glitching times, around 20s. I tried to boot to OFW after that, and it was a no go. Black screen.

I have read in several places that it could be my hynix emmc being the problem. I decided to replace my nand and give myself an upgrade at the same time. Purchased a brand new samsung 256GB and following another wonderful guide from this community, installed it on my switch. Unfortunately, I am still unable to reach OFW. Black screen every time. Everything else works fine though, including the switch showing 256GB emmc in console info and inside the settings menu.

I know this was a long thread, and I apologize again, but I could really use some expert advice.

Thank you all.
Lol, I've made the same mistake at 0am & lifted the RST Point. I'm not able to verify if the resistor on the left was connected to the RST point? Also the resistor got damaged & needs to be replaced. Can you give me infos regarding the value of the resistor (the one below I measure 28K Ohm, is the one with the red cross the same value?)

Thanks for any information

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU