old3DS impossible CLK solder point

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by MarcusD, Feb 28, 2016.

1. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    a pixel between life and death
    Is there a proper way to solder a wire on the tiny CLK point? It takes me so long to put solder on it, that the soldering iron turns into a black sticky goo that can conduct electricity. Sadly it doesn't stay as a blob, so it's hard to solder wire on the sticky goo thing.

2. charlieb

charlieb Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 15, 2016
    use flux

3. dg_dex

dg_dex GBAtemp Regular

Feb 27, 2016
    Use a 15 - 20 watt soldering iron. Use a q-tip and use a slither of flux on the point. Use Rosin core solder/non acid type. Use a fine tip with your iron of choice, file down if needed. Touch the CLK for a maximum of 2 seconds. Apply solder to the spot while you have your iron tip on the CLK spot. Dip a clean q-tip end into isopropyl alcohol. Clean up the remaining flux with the q-tip dipped in the isopropyl. Job's a good'n.

Tip - don't think, just do it. The more you think about it, the more you'll work yourself into a panic state. Do NOT solder while your in a panic state of mind. Your hands will shake and you'll mess the point up. By the way, the black goo isn'y conductive. That's usually a sign or burnt Rosin or Flux.

Last edited by dg_dex, Feb 28, 2016
  4. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Thanks! Once I get earn steal pirate download acquire some money, I'll buy the tools above.

Btw, is there an alternate name to "flux"? Not Google, nor Wikipedia has a translation for "flux", so I don't know what to ask for from the seller :wacko:

5. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    Are the watts important if the soldering iron is temperature controlled?

6. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    iirc more watts = more, and faster temperature

7. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    That's what I was told, but on another post someone said " max 30 watt or you'll burn the PCB"

8. happydance

happydance GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    [​IMG]

in the past I solder the clk, but now I just poke a single small wire on the clk hole bend/tape and works fine

thaikhoa likes this.
  9. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    CLK hole?! For me it's a miniature solderpoint, just like DAT0 and others.
    Also, I wouldn't trust a tape, because I won't have other way of repairing the 3DS before I get the soldering tools if the tape loosens.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Yes, because the solderstick could get so hot, that it could damage the PCB/electronics around it.

10. pre10c

pre10c GBAtemp Fan

Jan 15, 2016
    Belgium
    But what if its temperature controlled? Because i have a 60watt temperature controlled soldering iron

11. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    You could probably calculate the maximum safe temperature if you're good in maths and physics.

12. thaikhoa

thaikhoa GBAtemp Maniac

Sep 16, 2008
    I did the same as @happydance on my 2 O3DS and they're still working very well. The thing is when getting everything in one piece it's tight enough to secure the wire from loosing.

13. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary
    Meh... I have so thick cables, that I can't reassemble the 3DS, because I don't want to damage the bottom screen. I managed to (accidently) make a "flush power button mod"

Warning: Spoilers inside!

thaikhoa likes this.
  14. happydance

happydance GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 16, 2009
    there's an actual hole there where you can insert a single thin wire so it won't budge and just need the tape to secure it.

I actually solder some projects smaller than that, but I got lazy on the reg o3ds since I could just stick a thin wire

Last edited by happydance, Feb 28, 2016
  15. j3yps

j3yps GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2015
    Manila, Ph
    Try soldering paste

16. MarcusD
    OP

MarcusD nobody's hero

Oct 16, 2015
    Hungary