Old system with old Cyclowiz

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by TheAmericanNomad, Nov 3, 2011.

Nov 3, 2011
  1. TheAmericanNomad
    OP

Newcomer TheAmericanNomad Member

United States
    So I dug out my old Wii, and decided I wanted to catch up on the games I've missed for the past few years. The problem is that I never installed the update chip on it and so I didn't ever update my Wiz, I wasn't able to play Super Mario Galaxy (1) last time I turned this system on, so now if I go buy games at gamestop, they aren't going to work on my Wii.

Will I have to open her up and remove the chip? I don't have that weird screw driver I needed to open it up last time, so if possible I'd like to get the homebrew channel running on it or something, the system hasn't been connected to the internet in years, probably something like 2008. Would this be a decent work-a-round or should I just bite the bullet find somewhere to buy that screw driver, remove the chip and hope my system still works?

Thanks for any advice.

2. DinohScene

Member DinohScene The Gift of Dino

Antarctica
    You could hack it with Bannerbomb and install a discloader channel or USB loader.
    You won't have to update your Wii/remove the chip.

3. person66

Member person66 If it isn't edited, it isn't a true person66 post

Canada
    Yeah, just use ModMii to softmod it. You will probably have to update to at least 4.1, but ModMii will guide you through that. If games still dont work after softmodding it, then you may want to consider trying to remove the modchip.

4. TheAmericanNomad
    OP

Newcomer TheAmericanNomad Member

United States
    Cool, thanks for the info!

Wait, should I try bannerbomb or Modmii, or. . .?

EDIT: Nevermind I understand now.

5. kylster

Member kylster mich weich töten

United States
    Hey I'm in the same boat honestly; I have a launch Wii and the toggle switch (to turn it into update mode) was never installed so I could update

On a serious note this modchip is what makes me doubt anything Cyclo*** anymore. Softmods will still work and everything will run from USB just fine. Trust me on this as I have and older Wii with a Cyclowiz Modchip. The bright side to this is GameCube games will play very well :) but unless you plan on buying Wii games then USB loader is your only choice for newer backups.

Also your modchip provides extra brick protection cause even if the Wii is correct you will still be able to recover via SSBB "smash stack" hack :) I only see this as beneficial if you do not have bootmii backup but hey it's there for a reason :) and that funny little screw driver is called a "Triwing".

Grab ModMii and follow the instructions it's that simple; just tell modmii you have a virgin wii and begin from there.

I honestly can't think of anything besides newer burned Wii games that will not play on my console hm..... Nope nothing comes to mind; your also the only other person I know of who has this chip LoL

I should note newer burned Wii games will not work via NeoGamma or such app only through USB loaders and the only purpose to having a Channel for NeoGamma or such is for GC games only.

1 person likes this.