I have a Dell Dimension 4700 Link
and i have about £100 to spend on it (not alot of money, but im only 16
blink.gif
)

Specs:
512MB of RAM,
230GB Hard drive,
ATI Radeon X300 Series graphics card

I know its old, i got it off my step dad when he got a new one.
I'm looking to get 2GB of RAM, and a new graphics card. I don't really know the prices of stuff, and i doubt i can get a graphics card if im getting 2GB of RAM also, but any help finding will do
moogle.gif
I live in the UK, and if i have to order online i can do
tongue.gif
If you need any more info i forgot i'll give it to you. Oh yeah, I'm hoping to get Windows 7 working on it too
rolleyes.gif

Sao Mortel

Trophies
Website
shoptemp.com
XP
Country
Canada
All I know is you don't need windows 7. it is made for dual core computer and up and will not improve your PC and there is good chances it will run slower than XP even with 2 gb ram. Keep all your pennies for a new computer that is my advice (which you dont have to follow)

edit. XP hates 512mb also thinking about it.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
wolffangalchemist said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820134701
about $70 USD, though don't know if newegg ships to the UK.

though win7 should run ok on 512 i'm running it on 638mb fine can even use aero.

thanks, i'll look into it. Is that 2, 1GB Ram? Because my computer has 2 RAM slots (both with 215MB i think, up to 512MB anyway)

QUOTE(Sao Mortel @ Oct 30 2009, 02:00 PM) All I know is you don't need windows 7. it is made for dual core computer and up and will not improve your PC and there is good chances it will run slower than XP even with 2 gb ram. Keep all your pennies for a new computer that is my advice (which you dont have to follow)

I know i don't need it. I just want something different than XP. I've been using XP since i can remember now, and its abit boring.
and what do you mean it hates 512MB? Its running smoothly with 512MB for me
blink.gif

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium
I installed Win7 Professional on a AMD Athlon 2500+ with 512Mb and 80Gb HDD, works fine (just for testing purpose)
It even runs better then Windows XP SP3.

If you want a faster OS and descent speed, XP SP2 is the option.
It's soon christmas and newyear, who knows what money you get then, try to save the $100 it and see what options you have after newyear

It would be a pitty to spend now $100 and come tot the conclusion you want to upgrade again or buy a new one in january of 2010, those few extra months are worth the wait i bet.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
DjoeN said:
I installed Win7 Professional on a AMD Athlon 2500+ with 512Mb and 80Gb HDD, works fine (just for testing purpose)
It even runs better then Windows XP SP3.

If you want a faster OS and descent speed, XP SP2 is the option.
It's soon christmas and newyear, who knows what money you get then, try to save the $100 it and see what options you have after newyear

It would be a pitty to spend now $100 and come tot the conclusion you want to upgrade again or buy a new one in january of 2010, those few extra months are worth the wait i bet.

Oh yeah your right
moogle.gif

I might install Win7 to see how it works, if it doesnt go so well i can always install WinXP again.
yay.gif
thanks

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
da_head said:
wait wtf? $70 USD for 2gb?!?! that's a fuckin horrible deal. i can get a 2gb for $35 CAD IN STORES.

what were u thinking?

2gb for 35 cad? you sure? ddr2 prices are going up like crazy now. 2gb of ddr2 these days is about $45+ US

monzamess

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Older memory is more expensive. Supply and demand. It just cost me $70 US to upgrade my P4 desktop to 2GB and that was after shopping around so I believe it.

However it also illustrates that you get more bang-for-you-buck with newer stuff. If you want to play the newest games, don't waste any more money on this computer. Any money you spend on this aging relic only puts you that much behind on getting a new one.

If you mainly do non-gaming apps, like I do on my P4, then the memory upgrade is your best investment, followed by a fast hard drive (plus you can move the HD to a new computer later).

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
monzamess said:
Older memory is more expensive. Supply and demand. It just cost me $70 US to upgrade my P4 desktop to 2GB and that was after shopping around so I believe it.

However it also illustrates that you get more bang-for-you-buck with newer stuff. If you want to play the newest games, don't waste any more money on this computer. Any money you spend on this aging relic only puts you that much behind on getting a new one.

If you mainly do non-gaming apps, like I do on my P4, then the memory upgrade is your best investment, followed by a fast hard drive (plus you can move the HD to a new computer later).

I don't play games on my computer, just downloads etc.
I want the memory for Windows 7.
But i'm thinking about getting a new computer that i know supports Windows 7.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
.Radiant said:
da_head said:
wait wtf? $70 USD for 2gb?!?! that's a fuckin horrible deal. i can get a 2gb for $35 CAD IN STORES.

what were u thinking?

2gb for 35 cad? you sure? ddr2 prices are going up like crazy now. 2gb of ddr2 these days is about $45+ US
i bought it about 2 years ago at futureshop.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
theres not much you can do, im pretty sure the ram slots are limited to 512MB each
that was the case for my dell 4550 anyway

Sao Mortel said:
All I know is you don't need windows 7. it is made for dual core computer and up and will not improve your PC and there is good chances it will run slower than XP even with 2 gb ram. Keep all your pennies for a new computer that is my advice (which you dont have to follow)

ffs people that dont have any idea how much ram an OS needs

XP will run fine with 64MB of ram

wolffangalchemist

This is bat country!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deanxxczx said:
I don't play games on my computer, just downloads etc.
You could just get a extra 512mb stick, if you only want to use it only for internet, downloads, music, and some video.
I tested win7 by doing all of that and my ram usage never went above 600mb(this is all with aero still on) i'm thinking of just getting a 512 stick to upgrade my 256mb stick, 7 doesn't hog memory like vista does thankfully.
My problem now is SMART shows two of my HDD's are going to immanent fail.
frown.gif

Well fuck i don't have any money, but i think it's the IDE cable since one HDD isn't even a year old and they are both on the same cable.

prowler

Sony
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Joe88 said:
theres not much you can do, im pretty sure the ram slots are limited to 512MB each
that was the case for my dell 4550 anyway

-snip-
Dell Dimension 4700 can only go up to 2GB, with 2, 1GB ram slots.

wolffangalchemist said:
QUOTE(deanxxczx @ Oct 30 2009, 03:06 PM) I don't play games on my computer, just downloads etc.
You could just get a extra 512mb stick, if you only want to use it only for internet, downloads, music, and some video.
I tested win7 by doing all of that and my ram usage never went above 600mb(this is all with aero still on) i'm thinking of just getting a 512 stick to upgrade my 256mb stick, 7 doesn't hog memory like vista does thankfully.
My problem now is SMART shows two of my HDD's are going to immanent fail.
frown.gif

Well fuck i don't have any money, but i think it's the IDE cable since one HDD isn't even a year old and they are both on the same cable.

That's on a clean install right?
Plus on Dell's website for a 512MB its £21.85, and a 1GB is £24.86 for that extra 3 pound i might buy just one.

Thanks for your help everyone
moogle.gif

Raki

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
wolffangalchemist said:
deanxxczx said:
That's on a clean install right?
Yes it was a clean install, still running too even though my HDD's are supposedly dying(stupid IDE cable) left it on last night to stress test it still no slow down.

maybe it's the IDE controller...the powermac g3 (b/w) back than had a buggy IDE controller which could kill hdds over 6GB

Nimbus

sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you wan't something different from XP, try Ubuntu, or it's KDE varient Kubuntu.

Ubuntu only needs about 4 GB of Hard Disk space, and can run on a minimum of 256 MB of RAM. In addition it is a completely free, open-source operating system, which offers in my oppinion even more than Windows ever could and ever will. It is a debian based Linux Distribution

Best of all, the software that comes bundled as part of the default installation as well as any other software you install via the Add/Remove panel on the Applications menu, as well as software you can find on the internet for Ubuntu, or Linux for that matter is free. Best thing is that none of them are trial versions that expire in X amount of days, they are fully functional and free to use for as long as you wish, and in many ways are even more feature and function-packed than their propriatary equivalents.

Ubuntu is also the most user-friendly Linux Distribution I have ever used before. It makes everything considerably pain-free and easy. The interface is also fully customizable (Not like in Windows though), you can skin it will all sorts of skins that people have made (Google Gnome Themes sometime), you can install and enable cool effects and animations for your interfaces. So if you ever wanted your windows to dissapear in a blast of flames, now you can.

Ubuntu will also allow you to install it right alongside an already existing Windows installation. It will allow you to resize the windows Partiton in order to make some free space to install Ubuntu on. Windows will try to run a CHKDISK after you resize it's partition because after Ubuntu has to resize it, Windows will think it's MBR is possibly corrupted,. Do not panic though, it will be just fine because at the end of the CHKDISK Windows will change it's MBR to reflect the new partition size.

You will notice a change with your Bootloader, as it will be replaced by GRUB which is a cleaner and more effective and functional bootloader to me than the one built in by Windows. Ubuntu, or Linux for that matter needs this bootloader to load, as the one Windows provides doesn't have the capability, and probably will never have the capability to load Linux.

You can also redistribute Ubuntu, Modify it's source code, behavior, etc provided you give credit to everyone who created that code, install it on as many computers as you want (Yes you heard me, you aren't going to run into licensing issues like you do with Windows), Download it legallyas many times as you want (Yep, no copyright issues from copying, downloading, or sharing it either).

To make matters even better, the ISO's of Ubuntu should or usually all contain a Live feature, which allows you to run the entire Ubuntu OS from the CD you burn and try it out before you install it.

As always, If you do decide to do this I advise you backup everything on your hard drive before you install Ubuntu or any of it's variations. Also, like every other OS Ubuntu and Linux in general will require a little getting used to.

You should also be aware that you most likely will need to have some sort of way of connecting through a wired connection to the internet in order to download utilities to get Wireless up and going, such as bfwcutter (For broadcom wireless cards. It allows you to cut and paste the firmware from your card so that it can write a driver for you that works. It will not from what I undestand allow you to ever get ahold of those firmware files from your interface so that you can distribute them. You might get lucky and have a wireless card that works right off the bat.

Printers are also something that you'll have to do a bit of tinkering to get to work, although alot of printers nowadays are a little more compatible with Linux.

Other than that Ubuntu is a great alternative to Windows as a whole. I successfully convinced at least half of one of the classes I am in at college to try it out and 8/10 of them have decided to stick with it as their OS. So, yeah if you don't have anything on that old computer, or even if you do, download Ubuntu, burn it to disk, and try it out through the Live CD feature (Current version is 9.10, although due to compatibility issues I am using 9.04 right now on my tripple boot macbook. I am actually posting this through Firefox from Ubuntu right now.) If you don't like it, then fine you aren't out anything other than some time and a CD-R, and you can still keep/or install Windows by itself. If you do like it then install it and spend some time getting used to it. Trust me, Ubuntu will treat you well, it's Linux for Human Beings!

Edit: Oh, I actually forgot to add this in. Ubuntu, and Linux for that matter as a whole, are completely immune to the effects of Windows Viruses. This doesn't mean you don't need an anti-virus, as you can still be infected by a Windows Virus. What I mean by this is that Linux wont be affected by them, as it's kind of like talking in Japanese to someone who only understand German, it just doesn't work, as they are completely seperate languages. Now, there are proof of concept Unix/Linux and Mac OSX viruses out there, but nearly if not all of them require you as the victim to purposely set up your computer in specific ways so that the virus can run, so unless you are really gullible you aren't needing to fear much.

ClamAV is a free-open source antivirus that is designed for Linux, Mac OSX (Called ClamXAV), and Windows (ClamWIN), it updates itself quite frequently and is very clean in terms of it's interface. It's only drawback is that it can only quaraunteen, remove, or if you so desire against best judgement ignore them. It detects Windows, Mac OSX, and Linux/Unix viruses.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just want to say, that if it's the interface of XP you don't like, look up WindowBlinds and other similar programs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1