Old Laptop

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by zeromac, Aug 16, 2010.

Aug 16, 2010

Old Laptop by zeromac at 9:59 AM (1,804 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. zeromac
    OP

Member zeromac Finally reached 1000 posts EXACTLY

Australia
    Well I might be getting a new computer soon so i have no idea what to do with this old Laptop [​IMG]
    Its pretty crappy,
    Toshiba Satellite M70
    here are the specs:
    • 1.86ghz
    • 2gb Ram
    • 15.4" screen
    • Intergrted graphics card
    • 60gb HDD
    • Windows 7 Ultimate
    Well i have no clue what i should do with it so i started surfing the net for ideas and i came to a Lifehacker article talking about a Hackintosh. Now i have no idea what a Hackintosh was but alittle research later told me that it was just a PC running OSX; such a pretty name for something so mundane..(But definattly cool)

So i started looking into Hackintoshes and was thinking of transforming my laptop into a Hackintosh as one of those uses i could use this laptop for.

My only question is would this Laptop be able to become a Hackintosh?

PS: If it can't, what other uses can i use this laptop for?

2. LuckyChannel

Newcomer LuckyChannel Member

United States
    If you have money to buy a new one, hack the old one. If you don't have spare bucks you better stick to: "If it works, don't fix it"
    At least that's my opinion

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
  4. Scorpei

Member Scorpei GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    Use it as a media PC (/HTPC)?

5. JonthanD

Member JonthanD GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hackintosh could be a fun project on it, or use it to learn Linux its plenty enough machine to run any distro out there.

My recomendation is either Ubuntu or Puppy Linux (I am using Puppy 5.0 right now on this laptop with 256MB's of RAM and it flies)

I am very RAM limited but I can run any emulator from the 8/16 bit days [​IMG] I could try running the PSX emulator since Doom runs great but I believe since I am running the VESA driver and not a native X driver it will not work (no OpenGL support in VESA if I am correct)

Put Puppy on your machine get a USB Joystick and turn it into a portable arcade/emulation machine [​IMG]

Look into something called Puppy Arcade 8 (the current version) Its either a bootable ISO you can use with out installing or its an add on for a regular Puppy Linux distro. (another nice thing about Linux you can try it out and see if it works with out breaking anything or installing anything)

You could download all the same emulators for Windows 7 but Windows 7 is pretty RAM hungry and 2GB's is getting close.

Something else to consider is that Linux drivers may suck for your wireless card and graphics card, if that is true then a Hackintosh would also have the same weakness. They are not exactly the same OS but they share a lot of the same problems and solutions.

Another point of interest is that Puppy will consume something like 256MB's of hard drive space for its OS when installed and I think Windows 7 is close to 12GB? (have to check my main machine since I love it on that, 8GB's of RAM and proper hardware makes Windows 7 awesome lol)
    So using a smaller distro will give you more space for emulators and ROM's.

Anyway keep your old laptop it may feel slow under Windows but a nice small Linux distro will make it feel like a new machine.

6. Nimbus

Member Nimbus sudo /usr/bin make-me-a-coffee --nosugar --cream=1

United Kingdom
    I'd advise something much different, believe me. I am an actual Mac owner, and I admit that OSX isn't all that fuzz and glitter it's cracked up to be. Ubuntu and any Linux Distro besides OpenSuse will kick OSX's rear any day. In fact the truth is OSX is a overhyped, grosly exagerated, bloated-up, BSD based OS. I only use it to backup Windows 7, manage my iPod Touch, store copies of my schoolwork and documents on, my EFI bootloader "rEFIt" resides there, and beyond that it's used only furthermore to clone via a GUI my Data on the Journaled HFS+ partition in which it resides which serves a dual purpose once it's cloned to my external drives as a bootable medium.

Yeah, again, this is coming from a Mac Owner., and even I think it's like that. The Hardware and Customer service is pretty much the only reason why I bought it, besides the fact that I had $2000+ in my bank at the time which I didn't know what to spend on until I realized a really needed a newer laptop. <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(I dont care what anyone says, any company that can send my computer off the day after I drop it off to be repaired to a place halfway across the country from me, get it fixed that same day, and send it back and get it to me at 10:30 the next morning through FedEX, has good customer service in my books)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

So, without further adu, and you'll have to excuse this horribly long post....

I would advise Multi-booting Ubuntu/Some Other Distro/and then Windows 7. I've had a few college mates who have tried making a Hackintosh, and from what they have all told me, it's really more trouble than it's worth one way or the other. Believe me, once you settle into using a Linux Distribution that works well such as Ubuntu, Mint, Debian, or Fedora you realize how awesome Linux is. I certainly have become somewhat greatly smitten with Ubuntu overall, and Fedora I'm also loving quite a bit.

Heck, I'll even walk you through a guide to do this, it's rather long but it isn't rocket science to be honest.

First Here are some advantages you'd get over using Linux rather than a hackintosh

-Linux has Compiz Fusion and a ton of cool eye candy effects for your desktop. Which will pointlessly impress anyone wondering how they can do that too. While OSX has some, it's not near as many, nor as cool as Linux Distros provide

-It's free and legal, and you're not violating some companies EULA by installing it like you would when you install OSX on a PC. Not that I'd stop you or anything, and not that anyone really cares about Apple's EULA (Seriously, is it just me or does nobody read those anymore). You also wouldn't be having to download OSX illegally, which I can't really endorse, nor stop you from doing on a opposite note.

-It's open source, meaning nearly every application has source code available for it (Besides those that aren't licensed under a GNU GPL or some other Open Source or Free Software license such as Adobe Acrobat reader, Bitdefender for Unices, etc)

-You have thousands of free applications available to you through various package managers (Ubuntu Software Center, etc). Most if not all being of great use in some way or another. OSX on the other hand may have NeoOffice (OSX port of Openoffice), the GIMP, and some other common programs that Linux includes, but other than those, amongst a few others, every other application that OSX borrows from Linux usually has to be Ported via Macports, often the Macports versions are nowhere near as updated and current as those for Linux are, and even then there aren't a whole ton to choose from in Macports that are of much use. OSX in more ways than one, is limited in terms of available software that is actually useful, or in the very least OSX pales in software selection compared to Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, or Linux in general.

Openoffice for example, is a free open source, full blown Office Suite, capable of opening and saving in Microsoft Word, Corel, and OpenDocument formats.

Emulators such as ZSnes, Nestopia, Dgen, Mupen64, and many others also exist.

Photo editors and managers such as the Gimp, FSpot, and Digikam also exist.

Disk burning apps such as K3B and Brasero are available.

Media playback and editing is available through Amarok, Audacity, Banshee, and countless others all supporting many different formats though native support, or additional packages.

IM Clients such as Pidgin, Empathy, Skype, and many others are available.

Email Clients such as Evolution, Kmail (From KDE), and others exist.

Firewall Utilities such as Firestarter, Guarddog, and others exist, some of which are sometimes included by default in certain distributions.

Other Network Security utilities such as Wireshark, Zenmap (GUI Version of NMap), and others exist.

Google Chrome is available, as is Google Earth through additional repositories that will be mentioned later.

Virtualization of other OS's inside Linux is possible with Virtualbox.

ClamAV is there to take care of any Windows Viruses. Bitdefender also makes a (And you'll need to find this on your own) a Unices version of their Anti-Malware for Debian/Ubuntu (GUI included), and a command line only version for RPM based distros. Bitdefender does not have open source code, and it also requires you sign up for a license, which you can probably use a dummy gmail account for, as well as a fake 000-000-0000 phone number, which I'm not sure they even bother looking at.

Celestia provides a good realtime space simulator, as does Stelarium, just for fun.

Contrary to popular belief, games do exist for Linux, Super Tux Racers, Several Mario Clones, and a number of other apps exist. Heck in Wine, I've heard World of Warcraft runs pretty damn good, but I'm not into MMORPG's so I haven't tested it.

Wine is available to run some Windows Applications in Linux and does well with more vanilla-like Windows Apps (Personally I just run an XP Virtualbox machine inside of Ubuntu if I need it).

Adobe Reader is available through partner repositories, although it's source code isn't free to access it's there if you need it. Gnome seems to include a good PDF reader already, and from what I have tested, it works pretty well.

Printer Drivers and such are available at <a href="http://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=openprinting&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8" target="_blank">OpenPrinting</a> in either 32-bit (i386) or 64-bit (x86_x64/AMD64) .deb and .rpm, and most of them work pretty well <!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->(Unless your Printer is Called an HP PSC 1315v All in one, I've never gotten that one to work and quite frankly we own a Epson Workforce 600, which works with all our OS, including Linux, and kicks that HP printers arse any day)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->.

Wallpaper Tray and Wally are both good wallpaper changing utilities that are included. Wally, in addition to individual files and folders of images can use various other sources such as websites such as Flicker, Photobucket, etc. Wally does make KDE4 Crash unless you install the specific version made for it, which probably runs on Gnome anyway, I suspect it's due to Gnome Wally's inability to integrate well with KDE. Why a Wallpaper Cycling function hasn't been built into Gnome by now forever eludes me, but I like Gnome more than KDE in most cases anyway.

Compiz Fusion as mentioned earlier provides more eye candy than you can shake a stick at. 3D rotatable Desktop Cube, skydomes for the Cube, effects for your Windows, tons of them are included with the Advanced Compiz Config Setting Manager, which is accessable as well as the Compiz Fusion icon/plugin via Ubuntu Software Center.

-So many more free apps I couldn't list them all here.

-You can easily use programs such as Avant Window Navigator and a Mac Theme for Gnome to make it look just like OSX

-It runs more efficiently than any other OS I have used.

-You have in addition to Gnome, access to various other Desktop Environments such as KDE, XFce, and a slew of others.

-Most applications designed for one Desktop Environment work just fine on any other. Example: K3B, a KDE Iso/disk burning/copying application, runs perfectly under Gnome. Also GParted, the Gnome Partition Editor runs fine in KDE.

-Ubuntu's current version is a LTS or Long Term Support release, meaning you get 3-4 Years of support on the desktop and by the end of that time another LTS will have been released. This means that you do not actually need to upgrade the distro to 10.10 when it comes out in October, nor any other release for that matter in order to stay current, that is until the next LTS release comes along.

-Significantly more secure than Windows in many ways. For example, research the <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudo" target="_blank">sudo</a> system Linux and other Unix-like OS's use, it's freaking brilliant if you know how to use it effectively

-You won't be affected by Windows Viruses. Even if they do infect your Linux Partition, which I have yet to witness, Antivirus programs exist for Linux such as ClamAV a free Anti-Virus utility that will happily beat the shit out of any Windows Virus, or any other virus for any other OS for that matter.

-Very few malware exist for Linux, and most of them are so sparse you'll probably never run into them

-It can read/write to a multitude of Filesystems for other Operating systems such as NTFS, Fat32 used by Windows, HFS used by Mac OSX (Does not seem to play nice with, or even work sometimes with HFS Journaled varieties)

-There are so many damn themes available for the OS that you'll probably go crazy trying to figure out which one to use first

-Runs well on computers that don't have a ton of ram, but runs like a freaking demon on those that do.

-The communities and the organizations that back or distribute these distros usually always provide fantastic and useful support. Well, at least those that aren't called Novell or the openSuSE community. Back when I had to sue a SuSE VM, they were never any help at all.

-Fast bootup time, Ubuntus is round about 3-10 seconds excluding the time spent selecting it from Grub

-Incredibly stable, I actually haven't had it actually "crash" once myself.

-Usually the only time you need to actually restart after an update is if a new kernel is installed as part of the update

-Updates, unlike those in Windows or OSX, for the most part seem to actually do something, whether or not it is apparent at the time of update

-You can lock certain packages in Synaptic so that they don't get updated beyond their current version. I did this with Grub2, since I use it's graphical cousin BURG, and updating Grub2 causes Grub2 to overwrite BURG, as well as install it to what seems like every partition aside from my OSX one on my macbook, causing at least 1-3 extra Tux icons to appear in rEFIt, my EFI bootloader, which is redundant and doesn't look that pretty.

-The Linux Mascot <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tux" target="_blank">Tux</a> is cute, but he kicks so much arse.

<u>The only downside is you'll have to mostly give up, as well as deal with.</u>

-iTunes (Not a huge issue, since a version of iTunes is available for Windows. iTunes doesn't run well in Wine under Linux). Even so, if you install the right packages (Hint, they are available through Synaptic Package Manager), you can get iPods to work in Linux. It takes some configuring and work though. Alot of MP3 players may also work with Linux with some configuration, or in some cases Linux just supports them natively.

-Microsoft Office (Not really even an issue, since OpenOffice does everything it does. Office doesn't even install properly under Wine for the most part.)

-Although drivers exist for Windows to load ext3 filesystems, ext4 drivers do not. In addition, there is a nasty <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem" target="_blank">unix time bug</a> in ext3 that I would advise avoiding, and using ext4 instead since ext4 delays this time bug for another 248 some odd years). This bug has to be fixed in ext3 or in other words you'd have to migrate to ext4 by 2017 or it'd be too late.

-Propriary software holding you back....oh wait this isn't a downside! Silly me!

-Steeper learning curve, but once you get used to it it's pretty easy. Seriously.

To start, I'd copy this entire post into a word processing document and print it off, since you'll probably need to refer to it at some point or another, should you go the route I suggest.

Buy a 500GB SATA or IDE Hard Drive (Needs to be 2.5" and 9mm in depth, meaning the highest you could possibly get away with is 640GB, any higher capacity and an additional drive platter has to be added, meaning it wont fit in the drive bay). Check which one you have first. Should cost you between $80-$100 depending on the capacity. I'm guessing just by when the Laptop was released, it should be

Buy a cheap but still good, SATA-to-USB enclosure, shoud cost about $40-$60

Download Infranrecorder or some other free ISO burning utility.

Download <a href="http://clonezilla.org/download/sourceforge/stable/iso-zip-files.php" target="_blank">Clonezilla Live</a> (A free open-source disk/partition cloning utility) and burn it to disk using InfranRecorder or something similar.

<a href="http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download" target="_blank">Download Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx from Ubuntu.com</a> (Make sure you download the one for your archetecture. If it's 64-Bit, download the AMD64 release, 32-Bit download the i386 Release. Ubuntu is a free open source Linux Based OS. Burn this iso using one of the programs mentioned earlier.

Heres<a href="http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=55" target="_blank">Linux Mint</a> if you want to try that too. Again, make sure you download the right one for your computers architecture. i386=32-Bit, x86_x64/AMD64 (Also including any Intel 64-Bit processors)=64-bit

Now, mount the drive in the enclosure, plug it in via the USB cable put the Ubuntu CD in your computer and reboot. When the CD loads (You may have to tell your BIOS to boot from the CD)

Tell it to try Ubuntu without changing your computer (First Option). This effectively runs the OS from the CD, and that's what we need it to do.

Wait for Ubuntu to fully load, and then once it has, go to the top panel System, then Administration. then Gparted.

Once Gparted loads, go up to the corner where it lists /dev/sda, and switch that down to /dev/sdb. You are now ready to start editing the partition. WARNING: It is very important that you make sure that you are editing /dev/sdb.

Now, since the new drive in the enclosure may already have a huge fat32 partition on it, you'll want to delete that. Skip this step if it doesn't have any partitions on it

Now, go up and click on the icon that says "create a new partition"

Since GParted measures things in MiB, you'll want to use the calculator app in gnome located under accesories. 1024 MB is a GB, so say the partition you are creating is 100GB. Take 100 x 1024 and you will get 102400, which will be the number you'll put into Gparted's dialog when you are making said partition. Also make sure you turn off the "cylinder rounding" option in the add new partition dialoge, it seems to help make partitions more even.

Now, create your partitions as such.

Windows 7 (Has to go on the first 4 partitions, or primary partitions in this case)
    Ubuntu
    Other Distro (If you desire)
    /Home (Having your home on a seperate partition is invaluable. Since the root Filesystem is normally modified if you have to reinstall the distro, or if you are switching distros, your home partition usually isn't totally preserved. If it's on a seperate partition, nothing happens to it, and provided the same details are provided when you reinstall/install a different distro (This means the exact same Username, including the shortened terminal name, as well as the Password), your home directory will still be there when you reinstall/install another distro. The only thing you'll ever be out if you do it this way, is having to re-add all your software sources, as well as reinstall the applications you had installed previously in the last installation.
    /swap (Swap is something that most any Linux Distro will bitch about if you don't create it, so make sure it is either the same size as the amount of ram or double that amount).

So for example, say we have a 500GB hard drive (You'll probably only be able to use 465.76 GB of if considering that computers interpret the space as Binary) an example partitioning as well as the filesystems used, space (including GParted MiB equivalents is listed below)

Windows 7 (Filesystem=NTFS, Size=140GB, Gparted MiB equivalent=143360)*
    Ubuntu (Filesystem=ext4, Size=60GB, Gparted MiB equivalent=61440)**
    /home (Filesystem=ext4, Size=200GB Gparted MiB equivalent=204800)
    /swap (Filesystem=linux-swap, Size=4GB, Gparted MiB equivalent=4096)
    Other Distro (Filesystem=ext4, Size-Whatevers left, Gparted MiB equivalent=Just accept whatever it says is left)-It's always good to have another distro just in case your main one fails to boot. That way you can still get into one of them and research on the issue to see if you can find out whats wrong and solve it.

*Yes Gparted can do NTFS partitions. It actually as of Lucid Lynx does not seem to possess the odd MSFTRES bug it used to have, which caused the NTFS volume to not be recognized by other OS's or bootable. Good to see that was fixed.

**I do not advise giving Ubuntu a whole crapload of space dedicated to it's partition, none of the apps nor the OS itself take up a whole ton of room like Windows does. Maybe 50-60 just for safe measure. The OS actually takes up about 3-5 GB at the very most for the Gnome version

Also, note that as long as you keep the partition setup similar to the one above, and provided you keep track of whats what on the new drive and the old drive, you can pretty much partition it however you wan't (Windows 7 must still be in the First 4 Partitions, I'd advise putting it first.)

As for Wireless drivers, most of the time Ubuntu includes them or provides them. Broadcom drivers for example always seem to be provided, even though they aren't free in the terms of having access to the source code. They are actually provided to Ubuntu via Broadcom. Ndiswrapper also exists to setup windows drivers to work under Linux. The broadcom drivers for example can be installed once you get into the OS and get it setup via the Hardware Drivers under the Adminstration sub-menu located in the System Menu. You may either need the CD or an Ethernet cable, and a router with a spare Ethernet port since they may need an internet connection to be downloaded and installed. I also advise rebooting after they are installed and if they still don't work, run update manager under System/Administration so that it downloads the latest kernel and that should make them work.

So after you get this all partitioned, make a paper note of each partition, its size in GB, and it's dev/sdx label, including the one in your drive currently in your Toshiba, most likely you'll be looking at the following

/dev/sda1 = Windows Partiton on internal drive. If in doubt, look to see if it's marked NTFS, and the size or 60GB In your case should give it away.

/dev/sdb1 = Target Windows Partition for your existing installation
    /dev/sdb2 = Target Ubuntu Partition
    /dev/sdb3 = Target Home Partition
    /dev/sdb4 = Target linux-swap partition
    /dev/sdb5 = Target partition for another distro.

Now go up to the button on the top right side, choose restart, keep the USB-to-Sata mounted drive plugged in. Remove the Ubuntu CD, and put in the Clonezilla disk you burnt earlier. Now tell your computer to boot from the cd, and when clonezilla boots accept the default menu entry.

Now, once clonezilla completely loads, you'll want to go through the prompts, choose English, then on the next screen choose don't touch the key-map, then on the next choose Start_Clonezilla. On the next screen choose device-device, and then on the next screen choose "local partition to local partition clone".

It will list various drives at this point. This screen is asking you which partition you wish to use as the source, or in other words the one you'll be cloning data from, so we would need to choose /dev/sda1. On the next screen it's going to ask us what partition will be the target, or in other words the one data will be cloned onto choose the partition marked with NTFS in it's description (Assuming the scenario from earlier, this would be /dev/sdb1) or in other words the drive mounted in the external enclosure.

On the next few screens it will give you a multitude of different options, just accept the defaults, and also when it asks if you want to create a new partition map, choose to not do so, as it will bork up the one we made when we partitioned the drive earlier. Answer yes to the questions it asks in the terminal that appears soon after, clonezilla will now begin cloning your data from your current internal drive to the new one.

Grab something to drink, watch something on tv, or do something else until it's finished. It may take between as little as 15 minutes, to as long as an Hour. After it finishes, it'll give you some options, choose the one to restart, and remove the Clonezilla CD. Now, unplug your computer from the wall and it's cord completely wait about 10-15 minutes for your computer to cool down before advancing.

Open up your computers hard drive bay, and remove the current drive. Be careful not to break anything on it. Unscrew the EMI gaskets/case around it, and put them aside. now take your new Hard Drive out of the enclosure, and put your old one into that enclosure. Now put the EMI shielding/gaskets onto your new drive and pop the new one into your computer.

Now, grab that Ubuntu 10.04 CD you burned earlier. Insert that when your computer boots up and restart as necessary if you don't get a chance to tell it to boot from CD when it boots up. These following instructions may be applied for most any distro provided they remain the same install-wise

This time, once the Ubuntu CD boots up, we will instead be choosing to Install to Hard Disk, now the next part is critical since if you don't follow these instructions carefully you might end up without Windows on your multi-boot, or you might not be able to boot anything at all.

When the Installer appears, follow the on-screen guides. Select your timezone, language and keymap. When it asks for your language, select whatever one is your best. If it's English accept the default keymap since it tends to work better than most the others.

The Partitioner will be the next thing to appear, and it is *VERY CRITICAL* that you follow this guide at this point.

Select to specify partitions manually. Another dialog will appear. At this point I am assuming you followed my directions earlier and made the partitions ahead of time. I am also assuming that you created them in the order I listed and that the /dev/sdx# match those listed earlier. adjust the /dev/sdx# as needed. Your partitions will be appearing as /dev/sda# (Where # is the partition order) since it is now mounted internally.

Now, on the partition you intend to be your /home partition, click on it, and click edit. Since we already made the partitions earlier, we need to do is to check "use this partition" and tell it to mount it as /home. You may still need to tell it to use ext4 as it's filesystem and I advise you do that anyway just for safe measure. Click OK.

On the partition intended for Ubuntu, highlight it, select Edit and tell it to use ext4 and check "use this partition", furthermore and this is critical, tell it to mount itself as / "also known as root".

On the partition intended for use as Linux-Swap, merely tell it to use that partition. It should detect what you are trying to do automatically. Now click ok.

Do not do anything with the NTFS partition, nor anything with the partition you intend to use for any other Linux distro.

Put in your user details when it asks for them, and keep following the on-screen prompts. Eventually you should arrive at a summary screen, click the install button at this point. Linux by default will install GRUB2 it's native, effective, but somewhat un-snazzy bootloader which is required for it to effectively boot. Later on I will list a few commands that will put a prettier graphical bootloader in place of it.

After Ubuntu finishes installing, it will ask you to reboot. Remove the CD and do so. Wait awhile and grub will appear. If Windows isn't listed in some way in it you'll need to run sudo update-grub /dev/sda to allow it to detect. Select Ubuntu nonetheless, and wait for it to load. Login with your credentials and proceed.

Alternatively if you are going to install another distro such as Debian Lenny, or Linux Mint of some various flavor, you can take those same above steps above with some minor differences. First instead of mounting /dev/sda2 as / like we did for Ubuntu, we will be telling it to use /dev/sda5 as /. In addition we would use /dev/sda3 as home, but you probably will want to create a different username so that you don't bugger up your desktop on the other installation, even though a shared desktop between distros is possible. You can use the same password for the two account though. We also need to tell the other Distro to use /dev/sda4 and mount it as linux-swap.

We also at some point through the installer, will tell it not to install a bootloader (Grub2), this is usually presented on the "Advanced" button on the Installation summary screen. If this leaves your system unable to boot, in which it may, just use your Ubuntu CD boot into the first option and run sudo grub-install - -force /dev/sda and it should reinstall grub. Burg can be used to replace grub should burg be installed on the live cd.

You may need an Ethernet cable so that you can plug straight into a router, or some other means of a wired connection if the wireless drivers fail to install from the CD. In some cases however with or without the CD the drivers get loaded along with the OS, but you just need to activate them and restart. Remember if they fail to work after rebooting, plug directly into a router and run Update Manager under System->Administration. It should install a new Kernel and upon selecting that one in grub they should work at that point.

After your wireless is up and going, refer to this guide to install a ton of extra goodies that aren't normally installed or included with the ubuntu installation, as well as some various utilities, applications and a Mac theme that I will provide

<a href="http://www.my-guides.net/en/guides/linux/193-ubuntu-lucid-lynx-1004-post-installation-guide#mwbuttons" target="_blank">Ubuntu 10.04 Post-Installation guide</a>.
    Note: Even though Cairo Dock is mentioned in the above article. I'd advise installing Avant Window Manager over Cairo Dock. Cairo is a resource hog, and is kind of tacky if you ask me, as well as slightly buggy. AWN Is quite stable, and one of the lighter themes looks almost like OSX

Avant Window Manager is available, along with it's Extras under Synaptic Package Manager located under System/Administration. Install it, Run it once, and select it's AWN icon once it loads, then click on the Dock Preferences where you can select for it to load automatically as well as change it's themes, behaviour, make it look 3D, curved, flat etc, as well as the icon animations. As well as add additional applets and stuff, including a Main Menu which functions just like Gnomes does. For AWN to look like OSX, pick it's lightest theme, change the icon effects to Classic, and select for it to be 3D. You can also select the Task Manager panel and drag launchers from your Main Menu into it for easy access, and drag them around and rearrange them.

Mac OSX Themes for Gnome
    <a href="http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/MacUltimate+Leopard?content=82844" target="_blank"><b>MacUltimate Leopard Icon Pack for Gnome</b></a>
    <a href="http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Mac4Lin+ver.0.4+GTK+Metacity+Theme?content=71999" target="_blank"><b>Mac4Lin GTK Theme</b></a>
    <a href="http://www.hackourlives.com/make-ubuntu-9-10-look-like-mac-snow-leopard/" target="_blank">Make Ubuntu 9.10, 10.04, or above look like a Mac</a>
    <a href="http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Aurora+Leopard+BSM?content=92131" target="_blank"><b>Aurora Leopard BSM theme for Gnome</b></a>-probably the most complete of the bunch. Also includes a .deb installer for the Aurora GTKengine

<u>Aurora GTK2+ Engine (Needed for Some Themes, as well as the above Mac themes. Copy and paste these commands into a terminal.</u>
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:merlwiz79/aurora
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install aurora
    There are many more on Gnome-look as well.

To Install any of these, go to System->Preferances->Appearance, then select Install on the Window that appears, and browse to the location in which you saved the .gz file to and it should install without any hassles. You may however need to go in and edit the theme and piece together the Window Borders, controls, etc manually.

<u>Terminal Command to add the BURG (Graphical version of Grub) repositories as well as install it and make it your bootloader. </u>

Note when asked for your password from using the sudo command, you will not be able to actually see it being typed in. This is not something I believe is changeable about terminal. Also when installing anything that requires use of the sudo command/elevated privileges, you will not be able to install anything in any other application that requires elevated privileges until the program using them has finished/closed out.

<u>Terminal Commands to Add BURG Repository (Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Only) </u>
    <b>Add the Repository+GPG Key:</b> sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bean123ch/burg
    <b>Refresh Software sources:</b> sudo apt-get update
    <b>Install Burg Bootloader+Themes for it:</b> sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install burg-pc burg-themes burg-emu

Follow this guide if you need to: <a href="http://BURG%20Bootloader%20guide%20on%20Ubuntu.com" target="_blank">https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Burg</a>

<u>Gdesklets (Little cute apps and desklets for your desktop)</u>
    <b>Terminal:</b> sudo apt-get install gdesklets

<u>Gnome Art Manager (Theme download/management thing for Gnome)</u>
    Search for it in the Ubuntu Software Center.

<u>Ubuntu Tweak (Various utilities to tweak different aspects of Ubuntu) </u>
    <b>In a terminal</b>
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tualatrix/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu tweak

<u>Install Gimp (Similar to Photoshop, for some reason Canonical, the company backing Ubuntu decided not to include it in default installations of Lucid)</u>
    <b>Terminal: </b>sudo apt-get install gimp
    *Also installable via Ubuntu Software Center or Via Synaptic Package Manager*

By the time you're finished with all these instructions, provided you followed them closely, you'll have a system that multi-boots Ubuntu, Another Distro, and Windows 7, with a dedicated partition for /home which is where all of your themes, settings, documents, but not your applications are stored.

You'd be saving money using Clonezilla instead of worthless and unstable Norton Ghost/"Whatever name they use for their Failure product now", and since you would be using Linux and wouldn't be buying a copy of OSX which costs about $30-$60 retail, and you're not risking any fees due to your ISP potentially catching you download it illegally (I do not endorse such a thought, but not like I can really stop you anyway).

So overall the most you'd probably end up spending is $10 for a 30 pack of DVD-R, $40 or so for the SATA-To-USB enclosure, and 80-100$ for the 500GB or more internal Drive for the Laptop, you are looking at a $130-$150 expenditure, which isn't bad.

As long as you never any OS to format that partition you marked/designated /home, and provided you tell the Linux Installer to mount it as /home like I mentioned earlier, and provided you present it with the same username, password, and short-name (the one used in terminal), can reinstall any Distro as much as you want without losing anything except the applications you installed previously.

In fact this command below when punched into Terminal in Linux will back up the sources list. However you will need root privileges to edit it, as well as copy it back.

<b>sudo cp /etc/apt/sources.list /home/typeyourusernamehere/sources.list.old</b>

Keep in mind, since Windows cannot natively read ext4. Even if you did use ext3 for your Home partition, and even if you did use an ext3 driver, that ext3 driver for Windows is so unstable under Windows 7 that it just isn't worth trying to use the driver. Trust me...

I made a backup image of 7 via Winclone on OSX once before installing it, the first thing I got after 3 seconds of it trying to mount my ext3 home drive, was a Stop Error, which would return every time it tried to mount it upon Windows loading. I ended up waiting about half an hour restoring the image I had made and giving up on using the ext3 driver in 7. It also doesn't always load automatically in Windows XP as it should, and even then sometimes It refuses to load period.

So any ext3, ext4 partition or any partition for that matter that is not formatted with FAT(16), FAT32, exFAT, or NTFS will be seen in Computer Managment in Windows as "Unused Space", whatever you do do not attempt to create a partition through Windows in that space, it will destroy your Linux partitions!

What you can do with Linux in many ways exceeds what you can do with OSX or Windows, provided you have the balls to survive it's steeper learning curve, and provides you get to know the OS very well. Linux basically does everything that Mac OSX would probably do, and has an equivalent to most anything that Windows probably could do, only it does them better on every level that you could imagine. Even so, with this kind of setup, you'd again still have Windows for programs like iTunes and other applications that don't want to run in Wine under Linux, or that don't have a Linux Equivalent. Yet you'll have potentially two Linux distributions at your disposal as well.

Now with that over, where is my award for (Longest post that wasn't just a long return line, or massive amounts of smilies.)

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    ^^^

Are you promoting Ubuntu? lol

The best thing about Linux is there is a lot of distro. Ubuntu/Fedora/Mandriva/openSUSE/Slackware/Arch more and more.

I would also recommend that you look into BSD, specifically PC-BSD, a distro based on Free-BSD.

8. Advi

Member Advi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    PC-BSD is a wonderful version of FreeBSD. The KDE is meh but it's rock stable and easy to use.
    Also, other good distros:
    Mint, Chakra, Debian, CrunchBang, HMBC (for HTPC's), Pardus, Sabayon.....the list goes on.

9. Nimbus

United Kingdom
    As far as I'm concerned, I'm a Linux Whore.

Yep I said it.

It just so happens that Ubuntu is the distro I not only like the most, but the one I think is most user friendly.

openSuSE can go die in a pit out in the middle of nowhere for all that I care though.

10. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    Thanks for the suggestions guys [​IMG]

But I don't really like Linux as (this is my opinion) i see it as not a solid OS, with so many distros it just seems like a jumbled OS to me

Thanks for that extremely long guide BTW, might want to put in spoilers but I'll definatly be looking that guide up whenever i need it [​IMG]

I kinda see the laptop as really junky and i guess like a throwaway laptop to a point of extent. Like I'd care if it broke but i wouldn't be "OMG I'm so fucked right now"

Right now Hackintosh seems tempting [​IMG]

Any other suggestions are awesome as well [​IMG]

11. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    hmm...
    - upgrade HDD to 160GB or 250GB
    - play some free MMOs
    - use emulators to play some games [GBA, NES]
    - communication [skype]
    - media base [put all of your music and movies onto it]

that's all i got...

12. Nimbus

United Kingdom
    Funny, cause I see Linux in general as a diverse, and solid operating system. Otherwise it wouldn't be my main OS of choice. Heck I've got an old dell tower I can into possession of awhile ago, along with a Acer Mini-tower, guess what the first thing I did with them was.....yep.

It's funny, Linux to me breathes new life into old hardware. My brother even uses Ubuntu, after I showed him that even with his 4-year old compaq laptop which used to belong to me was capable of using all those cool effects with only 1.5GB of ram, and the boot time of 3 seconds, coupled by the fact that it runs like a dream, he started using it right away. Course, my dad and him share that same laptop so I kept XP Professional on it for him. I'll be upgrading the hard drive in it once I get my tuition paid and all that, and get another paycheck after that to about a 250-320GB drive, so that my brother can have a seperate /home partition (Trust me, I know how to move or copy the /home directory to a completely seperate partition and still preserve permissions and all that), as well as more storage in general for the Two OS on there. I had been intending to upgrade it's HDD since way before I got my Mac.

13. Mantis41

Member Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I hakintoshed my old lappy. It ran ok but after a couple of days f'ing around with the dock and what not I was like Meh!, so I removed and installed linux with the Beryl 3d desktop. Now that was fun to play with and it surprisingly ran ok even with an old 32mb Radeon 9600 graphics chip.

14. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    I have no idea how to upgrade the HDD lol but it would be nice for this laptop to have like 200gb HDD instead of 60gb, would make it pretty great.

15. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

according to the osx86 wiki

16. zeromac
    OP

Australia
    I did not understand anything in that spoiler lol

Is he talking about my Laptop model?