Iceland

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There probably are ways to tell from the PCB as there were differences (different batteries, different chip counts/numbers and such), however I and nobody I know has ever really bothered to look and make a chart. Simpler thing may be when did you buy it? By 2015 they were rare as hen's teeth so if you got one after that it will probably be one of the GBA only batches as the EZTeam released another run in 2015..

What do you aim to do with it anyway? About the only thing it is any good for is dumping DS ROMs, and if you can connect to an access point then you can use the various wifi options (most people only want the saves from games as ROMs are otherwise easy to download).

Proxy-Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
There probably are ways to tell from the PCB as there were differences (different batteries, different chip counts/numbers and such), however I and nobody I know has ever really bothered to look and make a chart. Simpler thing may be when did you buy it? By 2015 they were rare as hen's teeth so if you got one after that it will probably be one of the GBA only batches as the EZTeam released another run in 2015..

What do you aim to do with it anyway? About the only thing it is any good for is dumping DS ROMs, and if you can connect to an access point then you can use the various wifi options (most people only want the saves from games as ROMs are otherwise easy to download).
I bought it in late 2014. Yes, I'm mainly interested in dumping ROMs and saves, but I've heard that it's also possible to boot DS games from there. Do you have any info on that?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On playing DS games. I do indeed know about such things and use it myself to this day, though as a legacy thing rather than a real thing.

You patch games with EZ4client, boot in DS mode (flashme, nopass, whatever else you might have to make it happen), run game. Some ROM hacks, cheats unless you go DSATM and other such fun features are not going to happen.

Last patch update for EZ4client was early April 2009, anything much beyond about May 2009 (numbers will vary between lists but about 3600, if you don't have a preferred database of such things then http://www.advanscene.com/ is good stuff) then will likely not work.

If you have a SDHC supporting DS slot cart it is almost certain to be better. Best to save the EZ4 for GBA purposes.

Looking at the thread you made when seeking one you probably got one of the last ones when there were very rare and hard to come by. To that end it should support DS mode, and even if not then it should not brick it (it was the really new models I am unsure about).

I forgot to also mention. If you have or have access to a hacked 3ds then you can dump games and saves easily with that, even more so than this.

I should also say said DS mode dumpers will not support SDHC like some of the newer kernels do for games. Depending upon how much you have loaded your memory card up and what size it is (those 2 gig miniSDs are not so common) then if dumping games you could find yourself having some fun shuffling files around to make space.

Proxy-Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
On playing DS games. I do indeed know about such things and use it myself to this day, though as a legacy thing rather than a real thing.

You patch games with EZ4client, boot in DS mode (flashme, nopass, whatever else you might have to make it happen), run game. Some ROM hacks, cheats unless you go DSATM and other such fun features are not going to happen.

Last patch update for EZ4client was early April 2009, anything much beyond about May 2009 (numbers will vary between lists but about 3600, if you don't have a preferred database of such things then http://www.advanscene.com/ is good stuff) then will likely not work.

If you have a SDHC supporting DS slot cart it is almost certain to be better. Best to save the EZ4 for GBA purposes.

Looking at the thread you made when seeking one you probably got one of the last ones when there were very rare and hard to come by. To that end it should support DS mode, and even if not then it should not brick it (it was the really new models I am unsure about).

I forgot to also mention. If you have or have access to a hacked 3ds then you can dump games and saves easily with that, even more so than this.

I should also say said DS mode dumpers will not support SDHC like some of the newer kernels do for games. Depending upon how much you have loaded your memory card up and what size it is (those 2 gig miniSDs are not so common) then if dumping games you could find yourself having some fun shuffling files around to make space.
I do indeed have a 2GB MiniSD. I don't intend to keep the backup saves on there, and no, I don't have a hacked 3DS.
I just downgraded the EZFlash and used it on my DS Lite which has Flashme, but it boots into a white screen..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You might have to force boot something.
Try holding select when you power on, and if that does not work then try holding A+B+X+Y. What will work varies with the version you have installed.

Proxy-Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
You might have to force boot something.
Try holding select when you power on, and if that does not work then try holding A+B+X+Y. What will work varies with the version you have installed.
Holding select gets me in the normal DS menu. Holding ABXY still sends me to the white screen. I have flashme v8a, though I don't know if I did anything wrong .-.

Last edited by Proxy-Pie,

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you were using later kernels you might have formatted the ?SD card differently. Only thing which needs to be on the card is a folder called saver so if you want to format it as FAT or FAT16 (same thing really but different programs/OSes call it different things) and then make a folder (or copy your old files back) and try again.

Proxy-Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
If you were using later kernels you might have formatted the ?SD card differently. Only thing which needs to be on the card is a folder called saver so if you want to format it as FAT or FAT16 (same thing really but different programs/OSes call it different things) and then make a folder (or copy your old files back) and try again.
The SD card is already formatted to FAT and already has a saver folder.

Proxy-Pie

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Is the DS Loader something that's included in the old firmware? Say for example I want to play Pokemon Platinum or Mario 64 through the thing, is it enough to just send them through the EZClient to the SD card, or do I have to flash a DS loader or something?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah the DS loader was included in all the old versions save for the modulo nonds version. It selected which loader at time of boot automatically depending upon what the DS said to load (or just loaded GBA if it was in a GBA slot of something else). You will know the DS one when it loads as it will look quite different and be on both screens.
I can't rule out there being something else tripping it up here but at this point I would say it is done and best to get a DS slot flash cart. Get a good one if you can but you can probably pick up a really cheap one for next to nothing and enjoy most of the DS library on it (looking around even on the expensive European sites you can get a TTDS which you can then put a nice hacked ysmenu on and get most things done).

Equally pokemon platinum, being a 2010 game, would likely be too new as the patches stopped being updated in April 2009.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)