Old computer! Foolishness! Explosion!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by epicCreations.or, Apr 27, 2010.

Apr 27, 2010
  1. epicCreations.or
    OP

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok, recently I took out an old computer from my closet. It hasn't worked for around 5 years, but I thought I'd give it a go again. It made a low whirring noise, but none of the LEDs on the machine responded at all, and it gave no output. So, I opened up the monster, and reconnected what looked like a detached hard drive wire. And so it turns out... The computer exploded after I tried to run it again. [​IMG] A lot of the inside is charred up, but I was just wondering... do you think it would be worth it to salvage the drives? I'd need to buy a cable to hook it up to my current computer, but do you think it's worth trying at all?

2. DCG

Member DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    If it "exploded" when you connected a wire to it you will need to let it test before you hook it up to your current pc, or els you could fry that one.

3. epicCreations.or
    OP

Member epicCreations.or GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Sheesh. How the heck did that happen anyways? Sure was exciting seeing it shake and smoke like that though [​IMG]

4. DCG

Member DCG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    lol I once fried two pc power transformers, two pc's and a home cinema set. Just by sticking a fork in a bread toaster XD
    the failsafe (don't know how it's called in english) in the house seemingly didn't work becaus the things were fried when we turned it on again. the sent of fried condensers hang around the house for over 3 hours XD