Old 3ds reset How to install Gateway

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Raybrand, May 22, 2017.

1. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    Hi I have an old 3ds with a system firmware of 9.2.0-9E.

I had gateway set up on my system but I had trouble getting gateway to boot, so I formatted sd card and now I want to install gateway from scratch. (I had installed some extra additions, must have screwed something up and couldn't start gateway now I just want a clean start)

Can someone provide a step by step guide how to do so?
    For a clean restart is it safe to apply format system memory

2. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You should just need to put the launcher.dat back on the SD card, assuming you're not using A9LH or *hax (with GW.3dsx)
    If you're using GW.3dsx you'll have to set up HBL again.
    Make sure the card is FAT32 formatted.

3. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    I don't know what A9LH or HBL is, I remember when I first installed it I went to gateway website on my 3ds which installed the system, then by going into setting and profile it would activate gateway. but with the launcher file added entering profile does nothing. how do I get a clean start or what else should I try?

4. Garou

Garou GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 13, 2015
    activating gateway from DS profile only works on 4.5 by default, unless maybe you've hacked your 9.2 system
    there are lots of ways to run gateway but the easiest one I think is by put launcher.dat on your sd card root and running this android app https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.igarcias.gw3ds_loader&hl=en

apparently this app stops working on marshmallow device based on the reviews
    so maybe you need to find other web to launch gateway (no idea if gateway's own server still running or not)

Last edited by Garou, May 22, 2017
  5. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    I want to avoid using my android device, how can I install and launch it locally, I've tried to insert the blue card with the files but on screen it says there was an error and has to shut down, how do I fix that?

6. Garou

Jan 13, 2015
    You don't need to use blue card anymore, put the files on the sd card
    By the way have you tried opening http://go.gateway-3ds.com/ in the browser?

Honestly these methods are already outdated, so I no longer use it myself anymore

7. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    I tried that, I had trouble connecting, is the service still running?

its running but I keep getting an error and the interment app shuts down and get pushed back to the home menu

Last edited by Raybrand, May 22, 2017
  8. Garou

Jan 13, 2015
    Should be. I can open it using my phone browser, I don't see why it won't work on the 3DS

9. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    it worked, it just took several tries, how do i update emunand, when I go into system settings im forced out of gateway mode

10. Garou

Jan 13, 2015
    There are 3 ways
    1. Open settings and update WITHOUT leaving the settings menu (make sure the version number starts with GW something). However this leaves you with 11.4 and gateway stops working on firmware above 11.2, so you won't want this
    2. Use 3DNUS to download firmware as CIAs and use DevMenu/BBB/FBI to install those CIAs
    3. Update using game cart. Not sure if emulated cart using gateway will work

11. Raybrand
    OP

Raybrand Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 5, 2009
    United States
    I remember how to use 3DNUS I'll try that, how do I start gateway without the internet, I my 3ds was able to do that by selecting Nintendo ds profile but now that doesnt work.
    I remember there was a something called menuhax but that homebrew stuff is how i got into this mess

12. Garou

Jan 13, 2015
    Yep, use menuhax
    Just follow this https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax

If you're feeling adventurous, there's new thing in the 3ds scene called b9s. You might want to try that as well (can't help you with that though, still won't using it until this weekend)

Last edited by Garou, May 22, 2017