Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
---------
EDIT:
i need to really clarify this now.

i really dont think the problem itself is the exploit.

at one point, i got a bit further in browserhax than i did in my video and it gave me the same red screen as oothax.
the problem im having is that the menu itself wont come up and the system crashed.

if i ran oothax on another old 3ds at 10.5, im positive it would work.
----------
ever since 10.3, ive been having issues opening the home brew menu on my capture 3ds.

browserhax doesnt run properly on it and oothax while it gets to the loading process (back in 10.3, it kept booting back to the 3ds home screen), keeps crashing. is there some sort of backlog limit in system memory or something?

id like to change my custom themes

Last edited by omegazeroINFI,

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Browserhax can be made to work on 10.5 -- I had been struggling with the issue myself (I thought I was doomed!), but I came across a post on Yellows8's Github, where Yellows8 and another user (Goodlookinguy) figured out that adding garbage alphanumeric values at the end of the browserhax address can make it work.

So type something like -- http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php?asdfgbhnjmklijuytresxdcv -- and see what happens. You'll need to remember to add that question mark (the one after the .php), as it's basically a dummy "get query". They're still not entirely sure why that works, but Goodlookinguy suggests something to do with script caching.

I gave it a try, and can confirm it works.

Good luck!

Last edited by theodora,
Reactions: Arubaro

omegazeroINFI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i get a script terminated error even with that. it seems to stop at the script part before getting any further since it boots me back to the home screen

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you try clearing your save data first? When I tried it, I did that, and then -- once past the setup screens -- quickly pressed URL to input the browserhax address.

You might need to be patient with it. I know it's not as stable as some, but -- keep at it!

omegazeroINFI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clearing save data? exactly what will that do the digital games i bought? and where would i do that? (also, the earlier method wiped out my 3ds custom theme, so its themeless now :/)

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
clearing save data? exactly what will that do the digital games i bought? and where would i do that? (also, the earlier method wiped out my 3ds custom theme, so its themeless now :/)

initializing save data of your browser only deletes existing bookmarks and anything in the cache... so it won't affect your games.

its in browser settings (click the wrench) at the very bottom

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's just the browser save data you need to clear. Check the browser settings -- there's a button at the bottom for this purpose.

This will have no effect on your digital games or anything else. It's like clearing your cache on your PC browser.

omegazeroINFI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the error still persists, only now instead of booting me to the home menu, i get a black screen

An error has occured.
Hold down the POWER Button to
turn off the power, then turn it on
and try again.
for help, blah

N64

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the error still persists, only now instead of booting me to the home menu, i get a black screen

An error has occured.
Hold down the POWER Button to
turn off the power, then turn it on
and try again.
for help, blah

you likely have themehax installed. remove your sd card, power on your 3DS, put in the sd card, and change your theme. that will stop the error from occurring.
then you can try browserhax again

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can only cite from my own experience, I'm afraid. :/ Sorry to hear it's not working for you.

Reboot, clear your browser save data again, and give it one more go. There has to be someway of getting it to work for you.

omegazeroINFI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ive never used themehax/menuhax before. on this 3ds, up until the issues ive been having on 10.3, ive only used ocarina of time hax.

the black screen message i mentioned showed up after the browserhax only now, im feeling like a complete retard after realizing my sd card was never put back in the system.

browserhax seems to be theoretically working as its now giving me the same issue oothax was giving me. im stuck at a red screen on the lower screen.
whats stopping the homebrew menu from booting?

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
We've all been there at some point -- that one thing that should have been obvious, right? :D

As far as the red screen goes, I'm not sure. Yellows8 wrote a thing about the color codes, but I think I may have to defer to one of the other members for an explanation.

Have you updated your payload? It's the only other thing I can think of.

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can only advise on browserhax, I'm afraid. I don't have oothax (my old entry point was Ironhax).

Are you using Smealum's starter pack? Maybe try redownloading (from his github) and add it to your SD card again?

I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty, though. Here's hoping you'll be able to get it working.

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
There's a button a little further below the history and cookies buttons -- keep scrolling past the network information and the proxy settings, and you'll find another button reading, "clear all save data". Use that instead.

Basically, you need to clear your cache -- not just history and cookies -- because the cache stores downloaded pages, images, scripts, etc, for easier loading next time around. It also clears bookmarks, and I would imagine, your network settings, and search engine.

Give it a shot and report back. :)

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Give me a few minutes. :) I've taken some video using my mobile, and hopefully, I can show you my process when it's uploaded.

EDIT: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1mk32ws1g9t7fir/20160205_234747.mp4?dl=0

Okay, so -- the video above might be a touch blurry (sorry >.>; ), but this shows the process I use to reproduce the ability to access homebrew from the browser.

1) Enter browser, touch the wee spanner, scroll down to "clear all save data", and OK it. It'll exit out to your home menu when finished.

2) Re-enter browser. Go through the setup screens, and then as soon as you can, hit URL.

3) Type in the browserhax address -- http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php and add a "?" after ".php" and then a string of random letters and numbers. E.g., http://yls8.mtheall.com/3dsbrowserhax_auto.php?asdrsrdbvsxfhvb

4) Hit confirm.

5) Be patient and wait. Hopefully, homebrew should load, as it does in my video.

Here's hoping that with video and clarification (perhaps I maybe wasn't clear earlier?), this might work. <3

Last edited by theodora,

omegazeroINFI

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i need to really clarify this now.

i really dont think the problem itself is the exploit.

at one point, i got a bit further in browserhax than i did in my video and it gave me the same red screen as oothax.
the problem im having is that the menu itself wont come up and the system crashed.

if i ran oothax on another old 3ds at 10.5, im positive it would work.

Last edited by omegazeroINFI,

theodora

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
*Nod* According to the thing Yellows8 wrote on the colour coding, the red screen is the start of the "read file and dump to SD card" ropbin chain.
3: Read the contents of a file then dump it to SD. This uses OPENFILEDIRECTLY. 3dsbrowserhax_common.php must be modified in order to use this, see generateropchain_type3(). At the start of this ROP-chain, the sub-screen colorfill is set to display red, at the end it's set to display blue.

In some cases on Old3DS, a crash/"hang" may occur with an orange or white bottom-screen. If it ever returns to Home Menu when the bottom-screen was orange, then a reboot is required.

This loader will initially try to load the hblauncher ropbin payload from SD-card "/browserhax_hblauncher_ropbin_payload.bin". This is separate from the otherapp payload.
If loading from SD fails, this loader will then automatically detect the required payload, then download it with HTTP. This latter method is highly recommended(unless this method doesn't work well for the user): with a "/boot.3dsx" on SD card, there's zero other setup/user-input needed once the browserhax is triggered successfully.
When loading the payload with both of the above methods fails, a crash will be triggered.

Hanging at an gray-bottom-screen means *hax payload loading failed, normally this is due to network issues(you should reboot your system when this happens).

It sounds like something is getting stuck, but I'm not sure what. Maybe it's your SD card? Or your network connection?

Other than that, I'm not entirely sure, and I may have to defer to other forum members for an answer on this, if anybody can help, please?

Last edited by theodora,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    they be like which lite firefox exe pls
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Wut.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    GM all
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    butt
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    douche
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Touché.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Push it :creep:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Talk about propaganda.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Illinois is working to ban toxic food additives that have been banned for decades in other countries; additives that can be replaced and all those countries still have Skittles and Mountain Dew. Title of the piece: GUBMINT WANTS TO TAKE AWAY YOUR CANDY
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Gee, I wonder if the author is biased?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Sounds and smells like bullshit. They don't give you cancer, and California should know that. I don't get why they stick labels that say "may or may not cause reproductive harm or cancer".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Arsenic doesn't give you cancer either.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    California has already banned those additives BTW.
    +2
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Psi has been banned in the state of California.
    +1
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I am the cancer!!! lol
    Yayyy got arcade games on the Pi working lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Cool.
    Now to spend 6 months deleting all the garbage lol
    Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want to play and enjoy the old old ganes
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Mame should be two sets one for preservation of everything and one set for people who just want...