Xeon ~ Pado

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Three, maybe basic, questions...

I saw many people were reading the 4.2U update, around 420 I guess yesterday, and I came up with those questions:

1- I got a 3.4U and I want to update it to 4.2U but dont know if it is safe since I got an old firmware version installed. If it isn't safe is there anyway to update to 4.1U safely?

2- Do I really need to install the firmware update or installing the IOS the game needs works fine?

3- This is a very personal opinion... Should I stay on 3.4U, because it's saffer or something like that or should I try to update to a newer version like 4.1 4.2U?

Thanks guys!

jeremy24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you use homebrew or plan on using it? If not then go ahead and update. Either way I'd recommend just upgrading to 4.1 for now.

synt4x_3rr0r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I dont see the point in updating anything. I'm still on 3.2 and every game I have thrown at it has worked so far. Yes, that includes Wii Sports Resort and other MotionPlus games.

And 4.2 will basically remove all your homebrew, cIOS files and even bootmii. Just stay on 3.4, no reason to update anything.

Ssseth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
jeremy24 said:
Do you use homebrew or plan on using it? If not then go ahead and update. Either way I'd recommend just upgrading to 4.1 for now.
Why would you recommend upgrading? I see no benefit of upgrading at all if everything is working. Zero.

jeremy24

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I dont recommend upgrading, just saying that if he really wants to upgrade it is safe to upgrade to 4.1 if he wants to use homebrew. If not, he is safe to upgrade to 4.2 even though there is no reason at all to do it. Just answering his question.

drmarvin

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would agree with the last comment. Sure, everything might work, but you don't have SD loading if you want it. There is no reason to stay with the old SM, but do not go any newer than 4.1. Use Wanininko's updater, and now you also need to update the Shop Channel.

Ssseth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
drmarvin said:
I would agree with the last comment. Sure, everything might work, but you don't have SD loading if you want it. There is no reason to stay with the old SM, but do not go any newer than 4.1. Use Wanininko's updater, and now you also need to update the Shop Channel.
You say there is no reason to stay with the old SM, but there is no reason to upgrade the SM either. None that anyone has told me anyway.

Lothlorian

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ssseth said:
drmarvin said:
You say there is no reason to stay with the old SM, but there is no reason to upgrade the SM either. None that anyone has told me anyway.

The only good reason to update a Wii from 3.2 to 4.1 would be this.

1) SD Card Menu (Launch Wiiware/VC from the the new SD Card Menu)
2) SDHC Support for SD Cards. 2Gb getting you down? You can now use SDHC SD Cards!
3) 4.1 fix's a bug in Wii Sports Resort that makes you watch the Motion Plus Video over if you launch from SD.

Thats about all I can think of. If anyone updates at all it should be to 4.1 . There is NOTHING in 4.2 that benefit the community

Ssseth

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Lothlorian said:
Ssseth said:
drmarvin said:

The only good reason to update a Wii from 3.2 to 4.1 would be this.

1) SD Card Menu (Launch Wiiware/VC from the the new SD Card Menu)
2) SDHC Support for SD Cards. 2Gb getting you down? You can now use SDHC SD Cards!
3) 4.1 fix's a bug in Wii Sports Resort that makes you watch the Motion Plus Video over if you launch from SD.

Thats about all I can think of. If anyone updates at all it should be to 4.1 . There is NOTHING in 4.2 that benefit the community
Thank-you! A well written, concise post. Now I can make an informed decisions about updating. Now that I know the facts, as soon as I get a bigger SD card I'll probably upgrade for the SDHC support.

Thanks again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over