Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Okiwi 0.2 alpha released

Web browser application

okiwi.png
Pedro has released a new version of his homebrew web browser for the Nintendo DS - 'Okiwi', version 0.2 alpha. Added is partial support for CSS 2.1, new zooming levels and more. But Pedro states that a lot more is still needed to be added and that updated versions should be released more regularly now.[title:Okiwi 0.2 alpha]The new alpha is here

At last, after several days in which I have been one with my computer, I'm releasing the second alpha of Okiwi (version 0.2).

It allows to read files from the card (by entering addresses like file:///path, like, for example, file:///test.html) or Internet (http://...). Some pages are displayed fairly well (specially blogs, like this, which is preconfigured as the home page), while others don't work at all, so I'll have to investigate little by little what Okiwi fails to know.

By now it's able to interpret numerous CSS 2.1 properties, like margins, paddings, floating, colors, etc., altough there are several missing. Some other things not done yet are: tables, forms, cookies and images. There are also some other bugs and lacks I'm aware of.

To scroll a page, dragging with the stylus is still the only way. 75% and 150% zoom levels, which were missing in the first version, have been added. To follow a link, it's enough to "click" on it, altough it doesn't work always, and I must debug it.

The good news is that, from now on, new versions will be released with a much higher frequency. I'll release one each time I implement one of the lacking features or fix important bugs.

The installation procedure of this release is the same as the last, so I encourage the reading of the instructions I published that time. If someone has still the old version in his card, it's recommended to erase it completely before installing this one.

Well, I hope you like it and keep on there.
download.gif
Download
icon11.gif
Official site

Thanks to 999roy999 for the heads up.

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
FI-NA-LLY!!! I was thinking this would go like Gnirfleo. No images, though.
frown.gif

SuperDinoYoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im glad he is doing this, and think that this project is great,

But I doubt any homebrew browser will end up better than the Opera one.

On Computers, there is no better browser than Opera, so why would it be different anywhere else?

Tomobobo

Champion.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get this to resolve any hosts. It now has the option to retrieve and view web pages from the internet, or am I mistaken and it still only views pages stored on the card?

HBK

Clover - Fearless to Speak Now. ;)
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal

modshroom128

Trophies
Website
modshroom128.imgur.com
XP
Country
United States

KINGOFNOOBS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
On Computers, there is no better browser than Opera, so why would it be different anywhere else?

Opera blows compared to Firefox. It sux on computers and even worse on DS.
You are wrong, Firefox is only good because of extensions. In fact Opera has must functionality that Firefox needs threw extensions, not to mention that Firefox is cluttered (file size). There has been various tests, Opera is much faster then Firefox.

So yeah.

kellyan95

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, one of the big reasons Nintendo went with Opera for the Wii and DS was that Opera has better programmers on payroll (they don't use as much free/community code as FF) and it's much smaller ram requirments compared to FF.

I use Opera even though I have 2GB of ram, with the build in email/IRC/ect running it still uses less than half the ram as FF.

This browser is pretty good, but still no pictures for homebrew browsers.....

Flozem

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's a cool feat that this browser can be used to view local html files... Now I can finally upload the Wheel of Time faq for some reading goodness...
smile.gif

Raisingod

Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland

Opera blows compared to Firefox. It sux on computers and even worse on DS.
You are wrong, Firefox is only good because of extensions. In fact Opera has must functionality that Firefox needs threw extensions, not to mention that Firefox is cluttered (file size). There has been various tests, Opera is much faster then Firefox.

So yeah.

Opera (so called) extra features aren't the most usefull extensions (greesemonkey anyone?).

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for being ON-topic, but is it possible that someone could list the features for this browser? The main page appears to be in Spanish (or some form of Latin), and I can't quite glean what all this particular piece of homebrew can do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, hi