Okamiden news and hype thread

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Leach, Sep 1, 2009.

Sep 1, 2009

Okamiden news and hype thread by Leach at 10:31 PM (2,445 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. Leach
    OP

Newcomer Leach Advanced Member

Bulgaria
    Yep, Okami sequel comnig to the DS.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Capcom confirmed previous rumors today and announced the first details behind the Okami sequel they've got in the works. Formally titled Okamiden: Chiisaki Taiyo (Japanese for something like "Okami Legend: The Small Sun"), the wholly original title is due out for the Nintendo DS sometime next year in Japan. A playable version will be on display at the Tokyo Game Show, which kicks off September 24.

The Okamiden project is being handled by a Capcom internal staff led by producer Motohide Eshiro (Ace Attorney) and director Kuniomi Matsushita, who worked on the Dino Crisis games and directed the group that ported the original Okami to the Wii last year. "Around December last year, Matsushita came up to me and talked about making a new Okami that could be enjoyed in portable format," Eshiro told Famitsu magazine this week. "He's very passionate about the game, and he already had a test version created by that time that was extremely high quality, fully capturing Okami's unique visuals. Seeing that, I thought we were safe to make it an official project."

For his part, Matsushita explained to Famitsu the reasoning behind making the new Okami a DS game. "As you know, Okami's visuals and game system are extmely unique," he said. "The original idea was to take what makes this game special and expose it to more people. That was why we chose the Nintendo DS -- being on a portable system will allow people to easily pick up and play it, and you can also use the touch pen as a brush."

Okamiden revisits the world of the previous game, set a few months after Amaterasu restored things to normal and left the scene. The wolf-god may be gone, but for some reason the demons he eradicated have come back to menace Kamiki Village and its surroundings. Sakuya responds by summoning divine help once more -- but what she gets is Chibiterasu, a creature that looks basically like a puppy version of Amaterasu. Is this the original hero's son or something? "That will remain a secret for now," Eshiro said, "but it's true that he's a young form of existence, not fully grown. He can use the brush and attack with the imperial regalia, but he doesn't have Amaterasu's raw power, which will be reflected both in the story and gameplay."

Basic gameplay in Okamiden will be familiar to fans of the first game. Chibiterasu will travel around the fantasy-Japanese world, fighting demons in a move to restore balance to the surroundings. As before, you'll be able to stop time and draw directly on the screen using a brush, filling in broken bridges and solving similar puzzles. The brush can also be a weapon -- draw a straight line through weaker enemies, and you can cut them in half.

A new aspect of gameplay lies in the partners Chibiterasu will work with throughout. Each partner will work in tandem with the hero in battle and exploration, and you can use the brush to move him or her independently from Chibiterasu, which is required to overcome some obstacles. "The basic theme of returning life and nature to the world is the same as in Okami," Eshiro said. "What's different is that the relationship with your partners will be given just as much weight storywise. The themes are the same, but the nuances are different."

Capcom has revealed one of these partners: Kuninushi, the young son of Susano and Kushi from the previous game. (Matsushita states that Kuninushi was born after the previous game, although how he grew up to be a regular kid in a few months' time will be revealed later on.)

It'll be interesting to see how the gameplay system works in action once Okamiden makes its TGS debut in a few weeks. "

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3175844
    http://kotaku.com/5349980/new-okami-is-com...the-nintendo-ds
    http://ds.ign.com/articles/102/1020328p1.html

Teaser:
    http://www.capcom.co.jp/tgs2009/theater/swf/banner4.swf

There are no other screenshots or videos of the game, but it looks good nonetheless.
    The DS seems perfectly suited for the drawing mechanics and the cell-shaded graphics look really nice... I always wanted Ocarina of Time DS or Okami DS and here it comes! Chibiterasu, the little pup'!

P.S. Sorry for stealing the thread title hah.

2. Bmcs

Member Bmcs GBAtemp Regular

Portugal
    Never played that game, but from what i saw in youtube....it's going to be great [​IMG]

3. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    same here the game always just slip through me
    hope to see this game for DS soon [​IMG]

4. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Yeah, I think there are a lot of folks in your same boat. I was, too, until the Wii version released. The Celestial Brush had issues being read properly, but the game still manages to be outrageously amazing. This news of a DS sequel is just music to my ears.

5. luke_c

Member luke_c Big Boss

United Kingdom
    can't wait for this, the PS2 Version was awesome, painting was made for the DS [​IMG]

6. KingdomBlade

Member KingdomBlade Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)

Philippines
    Um, maybe I can make a more detailed one. (expect a new thread)

7. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    Expect it to be closed. [​IMG]

8. Leach
    OP

Newcomer Leach Advanced Member

Bulgaria
    Oops, sorry for not making it detailed enough. I edited the first post sometime ago, and well... there are three articles and one scan of a magazine currently. What more can I put up there?

9. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    "is DS gaming dead?"

If these screens doesn't convince you it isn't just what the hell will? :/

10. jgu1994

Member jgu1994 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I feel as if this thread was made way to early. The game probably won't be out for a good 6 months i'm guessing.

The screens do look nice though, and I love the art style. I never played okami though but i'll give this one a shot.

11. Hop2089

Member Hop2089 Cute>Hot

United States
    I agree this was created early like with the Golden Sun DS hype thread.

12. xCuteBunnyx

Member xCuteBunnyx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    omg yay!
    and darn!
    My brother beat the game on PS2 it looks so freaking fun and cool! Also I was hoping they would create Okami for DS.
    After learning the news I would have to way forever till the game releases in English! -.-.
    And so...the long wait begans.

13. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    Dont forgot that Okami was existed on Wii too. [​IMG]

14. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Okami was okay. I might check this out

15. ZeroEXE93

Member ZeroEXE93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Okami was one of my favorite PS2 games. Hopefully this will be as good. The game looks amazing though so I don't think I'll be disappointed.

16. tenkai

Member tenkai GBAtemp Regular

United States
    alright this looks great ill be getting this game for my ds.

17. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    Yeah this is a game that will be perfect for the DS definitely looking forward to it.

18. CloudSE

CloudSE Newbie

19. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
  20. Supertwigs

Newcomer Supertwigs Newbie

United States
    I wonder if this sells if a port of Okami would be out of the question.