Ok ok Downgrading to 4.x - 7.x (Help)

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by jazariz, Aug 28, 2014.

1. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    Ok i know the way to downgrade is to do that open you ds mumbo jumbo and dump the nand back up. I tried that it didn't work . H. so im thinking is there any other way of doing it? I read somewhere here if I had a back up of my 3ds data before updating it could work (not sure if I read it right). Which i did before i knew Gw was a thing. so someone please let me know how that works and if it doesn't idk tell me an easier of doing it.

On the side noteish I want to try to help figure out another way. Im wondering stupid question but, can bricking your 3ds downgrade it some how and the only reason why I bring this up is that i heard there is a way to un-brick your 3ds. So im just throwing out ideas.

I would really appreciate the help.

- Jazariz​

2. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    1. Back up your nand while still on 4.5. you have to do this first. if you didn't, you're outta luck.
    2. mod your console to be able to flash it with a backup nand
    3.flash it back with the nand you got in step 1 whenever you please.

3. Ronhero

Ronhero Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die

Jun 28, 2014
    United States
    Arizona Bay

Ok let me get this strait you made a copy of your 4.x or lower firmware via a hardware mod before you knew gateway was a thing?

If you didn't previously back up your nand then your SOL

4. PhoenixWrightX

PhoenixWrightX GBAtemp Regular

Jun 11, 2014
    United States
    There is nothing you can do except go on Ebay and buy a 3DS XL for 150$ 4.5- like I did.

5. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    s
    sigh then i guess im out of luck

I backed up all my stuff on my computer . -. Im not sure if the nand is in there but eh

6. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il

Shiz that was my first plan to just play monster hunter 4 but ha Its alot of money i don't have plus its to late now i wasted like $80 on the gateway might just have too wait unless some god figures this out

7. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    So no one knows how bricking works?

8. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    it wont matter, you are already on a higher firmware
    the bricking and restoring method would only work for whatever firmware your are currently on
    so if a 4.5 firmware user bricked with a flashcart and didnt make a NAND backup they would still be able to recover it since its still stored in the 3DS NAND
    since you updated you can no longer restore the 4.X nand in the event of a brick, only the current firmware you are on would be restored

9. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il

ok thanks looks like im waiting for a 8.x update . H. wonder how long that would take

10. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    If you wish to destroy your 3ds, just dip it in water or throw it hard at something hard.

If you want to try to downgrade the 3ds via bricking as you mentioned in the OP ... No.

On a serious and actually positive note, just wait a few weeks. There is a lot going on in the homebrew scene and what used to only be possible on 4.5 may become possible on 8.1. : )

SLiV3R likes this.
  11. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    probably not till oct. hopefully earlier

another dumb question i believe i already read this but so can i or cant i get a friend nand back up and do that ?

12. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    sure hope so dont want to waste money. you guys are the best thanks for the help

13. IronClouds

IronClouds GBAtemp's Pokébro

May 8, 2010
    United States
    You can only restore your own NAND to your own 3DS. You just can't catch a break, bro :(

14. Abcdfv

Abcdfv What comes around goes around.

Dec 24, 2013
    United States
    It won't be able to play gamebackups though, just homebrew. Your gateway will still be useless.

15. noki@

noki@ GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    The only thing you can do is to sale it and buy a new one.... Best option... and only option really

16. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    please tell me more cuz if you boot the blue card why wouldn't i. (i know at this point i wasted money but, i would like to know more about it so i don't mess up again

17. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    What he is saying is Roms will only work with a 3DS under firmware 4.5.0 with a flashcard such as a Gateway card, Smea's exploit that is incoming only uses homebew titles/apps and not roms and also I doubt gateway will ever work over firmware 4.5.0 so if you have not got your 3DS nand back up on your PC then your out of luck my friend :)

18. jazariz
    OP

jazariz GBAtemp Regular

Aug 28, 2014
    United States
    Some place in Il
    any good places i can get a new 3ds? that inst Amazon

19. CFallenleaf

CFallenleaf GBAtemp Fan

Mar 19, 2010
    United States
    Amazon sold by amazon. For the l9ve of god avoid ebay. More and more assholes are putting partially updated 4.5/6/7.x consoles. Walmart target local electronic store. Pawn shop. Take your pic. Anything 2012 or under. If its a 2012 model you have to see if you can check the serial number.

There is a list here somewhere.

20. Reecey

Reecey Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)

Mar 7, 2010
    At Home :)
    Trouble is finding a 3DS now with 4.5.0 firmware and below is becoming very hard and everyone knows this so the 3DS's that are are selling with that firmware on are for mega bucks! You can try this place: http://www.infinitydream.com/newsde...=152&osCsid=aaf82f00fb8251da9a06bf0a2e40b77e& for genuine 3DS's on the correct FW also be very careful with selling sites like ebay.co.uk that the chappy above said there are alot of 3DS's being sold with partially updated systems, be very careful always ask the question has the system menu got miiverse or not!