Oh! Those regional settings.

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by slitherin96, Feb 8, 2015.

1. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    I've got a PAL PS2 slim which is soft-modded and a PAL TV. Thing is, my games are all NTSC. I use SMB loading with OPL v9.1 and I can't seem to find the "force PAL/NTSC" option I've grown so accustomed to with my wii. interesting enough, I found some type of NTSC to PAL converter for the actual ISO's, but since the PAL version of God of War doesn't save with SMB loading, will the converted NTSC one work? of course I could skip the whole process of converting, if only I knew where to find that force PAL option...

2. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    never mind. I found a version of OPL that comes with GSM- an app designed to do just that.

3. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    What happens when the games are left NTSC? I'd be surprised if any name brand TV in the last few years is 50hz only.

4. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    it's not only the frequency. it's the colors as well. NTSC and PAL appear to have different color codings, meaning that playing in NTSC colors on a PAL tv will result in a black and wight picture.

5. Lumstar

Lumstar Princess

Mar 6, 2006
    United States
    Darling
    Try out SCART (RGB type) or component. Those don't use either NTSC or PAL for color.

6. slitherin96
    OP

slitherin96 Member

Newcomer
    May 22, 2014
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    scart is actually an AV format it does have color coding

7. Armadillo

Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 28, 2003
    United Kingdom
    No, scart is a connector type that carries many signals.

Passing composite or s-video over it, then yes it uses PAL or NTSC colour encoding. But you can also pass RGB over it, bypassing the issue, assuming both the cable and socket are wired for it.

8. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    nope, if you use a true scart (and not a rca\av to scart adaptor) the ntsc games will work perfectly fine (a bit darker than av, but quality will improve) and it will not appear as black and white.

i had a pal ps2, with a old pal tv, the ntsc games were black and white (i also remember a instable image..)
    then i bought a scart cable and it solved the problem...

note: my tv didn't had av\rca, only scart and antenna, so before getting the cable i was using a av to scart adaptor that come with the console, and this did nothing. the true scart cables uses RGB, therefore solving the problem