Homebrew Offical Release Thread Pictochat3D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Chat clients wont work from wednesday on.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The first one to reverse egineer it was 2 days ago btw. They were not the first.
Pretty easy to be honest

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The method they are using is pretty basic, the only thing they had to reverse engineer was te ip, port and login method.
Form wednesday pn it'll be a little harder.

From 17 september nearly impossible

Chesta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
The method they are using is pretty basic, the only thing they had to reverse engineer was te ip, port and login method.
Form wednesday pn it'll be a little harder.

From 17 september nearly impossible
Why would you even want to ban such clients? I mean they pose no threat or anything to your users and connect even more people to eachother.
If you want to prevent uncontrolled clients with malicious features, we could work together and release an official Windows client alongside with its 3DS counterpart. I think a lot of people would appreciate that (as you can see by the reactions to our client in this thread).
Btw. what are you planning to do to make it "nearly impossible"?

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Why would you even want to ban such clients?
I mean they pose no threat or anything to your users and connect even more people to each other.
I'm not banning such clients.
But i'm doubting a lot if i would allow people to create their own.
Yesterday there was someone spamming the server so hard that 3DS clients crashed (max 500 messages)
He did this with his own made pc client.

If you want to prevent uncontrolled clients with malicious features, we could work together and release an official Windows client alongside with its 3DS counterpart. I think a lot of people would appreciate that (as you can see by the reactions to our client in this thread).
I was planning to release an official pc client for a while now.
I'm working on a web client as well.
Since i'm a mac user, I'll release a mac version as well.

I'm dedicating a few hours today to add some spam filters on it.
Which will ban people from pictochat after a few warnings.

Final word on this for now:
I'm not sure yet if i will enable people to use their own made clients.
My decision will most likely be made by the people on the server the coming days.
I think it would be incredibly cool to see what you guys make from your clients,
And see if you can compete with mine xd
But if i have to do daily updates to the server to protect people from spammers i will ban them for sure.

I already decided to release an official pc version which will both run on mac and windows (maybe linux as well).
And there will also be a webclient.

There will also be a ban system which i intend to be universal for all my future projects.
And believe me, if you enjoy 3DS homebrew you don't want to be on that list.

Chesta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
I'm not banning such clients.
But i'm doubting a lot if i would allow people to create their own.
I'm sorry but I don't really see much of a difference between banning them and not allowing them to be created...

I was planning to release an official pc client for a while now.
I'm working on a web client as well.
Since i'm a mac user, I'll release a mac version as well.
We could cooperate and I could do the Windows/Mac/Linux versions if you like, like this, there will be less delay between the releases as you can concentrate on the server/3DS(/Web?) stuff.

Yesterday there was someone spamming the server so hard that 3DS clients crashed (max 500 messages)
He did this with his own made pc client.

I'm dedicating a few hours today to add some spam filters on it.
Which will ban people from pictochat after a few warnings.

There will also be a ban system which i intend to be universal for all my future projects.
I happen to know this user and how he did this. Spam filters probably won't help here. But as I don't know your code, this is the only thing I can say.
Also, I don't think it is particularly difficult to bypass any bans, as on most routers/modems you can switch to a new IP address at any time (or simply use a VPN/proxy). Also, anyone can choose any username (multiple users at once are even possible) and thus bypass username-bans (if such a thing would even be implemented as it doesn't make much sense).

I'm not sure yet if i will enable people to use their own made clients.
My decision will most likely be made by the people on the server the coming days.
I think it would be incredibly cool to see what you guys make from your clients,
And see if you can compete with mine xd
I think it would be rather difficult to compete with your client as you have access to the server's source and protocol, and we are limited to what we can "see".
It would be great to see custom clients in the future though, especially if this is going to be big. And it would certainly help to get big.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm sorry but I don't really see much of a difference between banning them and not allowing them to be created...
Banning them = no pc clients, not allowing them to be created = only official client

We could cooperate and I could do the Windows/Mac/Linux versions if you like, like this, there will be less delay between the releases as you can concentrate on the server/3DS(/Web?) stuff.
I'll pm you about this in a minute.

I happen to know this user and how he did this. Spam filters probably won't help here. But as I don't know your code, this is the only thing I can say.
Also, I don't think it is particularly difficult to bypass any bans, as on most routers/modems you can switch to a new IP address at any time (or simply use a VPN/proxy). Also, anyone can choose any username (multiple users at once are even possible) and thus bypass username-bans (if such a thing would even be implemented as it doesn't make much sense).
The next release will clarify this.

I think it would be rather difficult to compete with your client as you have access to the server's source and protocol, and we are limited to what we can "see".
It would be great to see custom clients in the future though, especially if this is going to be big. And it would certainly help to get big.
True xd

Last edited by Tjessx,

Deleted member 370283

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's really, REALLY dumb. If one person does something wrong in an app and is banned, that's fine and dandy, but then restricting them from using any of your other UNRELATED apps doesn't even seem fair.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
That's really, REALLY dumb. If one person does something wrong in an app and is banned, that's fine and dandy, but then restricting them from using any of your other UNRELATED apps doesn't even seem fair.
If someone continues to spam on my hard work, after multiple warnings, why should i allow him to enjoy my other homebrew?
I'm not banning people for nothing, but if a person ruins everyones fun, and he/she deserves it? then i won't hesitate to ban him from all my projects.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
You don't have to worry about it as long as you don't spam, or behave extremely unacceptable.

That's how it sounded to me too

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Also, I can imagine that some doesn't care about being banned to just pictochat,
I don't think they enjoy being banned from my future projects

I'm gonna be honest,
That spammer from yesterday, when i heard it.
It kind'a hurt, i spend a lot of hours on this project, and we had a lot of fun in the chatroom.
Someone trying to ruin others fun? I don't need someone like that in my projects.

WeedZ

Possibly an Enlightened Being
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Also, I can imagine that some doesn't care about being banned to just pictochat,
I don't think they enjoy being banned from my future projects
I like you Tjessx, but that's fuckin crazy and elitists. If you prevent them from disrupting other users no other punishment is needed. Your a homebrew dev, not their parent.

Respect of course

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
You guys are right, i'll create 3 levels of bans
- temp ban (Temporary ban on the current project for people like spammers after multiple warnings and multiple kicks)
- local ban (Permanent ban on the current project after multiple temp bans)
- public ban (People that are local banned from multiple projects of mine and still)

This sounds more reasonable to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu