Hacking Odd NAND problem - unable to update?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I'm the guy who accidentally updated his real system NAND to 6.3 instead of the emuNAND due to setting up Wi-Fi settings which booted me back to the system NAND.

I just got my 3DS back yesterday after sending it off to get a NAND flashing port installed.

The guy who installed it for me flashed my 4.5 image back as a way to test his work. That worked successfully, and that's how I got it back.

Since I have a way to restore my NAND, and I wanted to play my retail copy of Pokémon Y, I figured I would update the 3DS XL in the meantime, since I can restore back to 4.5 any time I want to use the Gateway again.

But something weird happened. I first tried updating from the game card itself, to 6.1, and after about 10 seconds it said "An error has occurred" and shut off. I added a Wi-Fi connection, tried updating from the Internet, same error. I formatted the memory from system settings and tried again, same error both times.

Now here's where it gets interesting. I prepared another SD card by backing up the NAND and then formatting the emuNAND, started that up and while it was in Gateway emuNAND mode, put in my Y game card (I was using Classic Mode obviously). Tried to update and this time it gave me a black-screen error, similar to you get when trying to use a flash cart that was blocked.

I was able to inject my 6.3 NAND dump (the guy who installed the flasher backed it up before restoring 4.5) into the emuNAND partition... but due to that KeyY thing, I can't play my retail copy of Pokémon Y anyway. I'm really hoping for a way I can update the system NAND so I can at least play Pokémon on my drive back to Michigan next week (a solid two days of driving, gives me a lot of time to play)

Unfortunately I broke the SD card adapter so the NAND flasher is as good as useless right now until I get another one made. I don't have a soldering iron down here with me and am not about to go buy one just for a $1 adapter. I'm able to get the 3DS to boot into the blue-screen NAND flashing mode, but the wire that fell off the SD adapter is the far left one, which I believe is used for data, so naturally my computer does not think anything is plugged in.

Does anyone know why my 3DS would be perpetually stuck in 4.5 like this? It's really frustrating.

krzz

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well. Maybe you can just wait until the Gateway team update their firmware so you can play Pokémon Y.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but that's more of a temporary solution than anything. I don't know if the system is crapping out because it detects a NAND flasher connected, I really have no idea how any of that works but obviously I was able to update it (accidentally) before, I just cannot do it again.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... I did a system format again and now I can't even get past the profile setup. It either freezes up after saying "profile saved" and doesn't do anything (music keeps playing) or it black-screen errors me and starts over.

God dang it, I think my 3DS is just boned at this point...

--Edit--

Ugh, great. Finally got the setup complete, and now every time it tries to load the home menu I get black-screen errorred.

Literally, I press power and am greeted with an error. Tried it about 20 times. Not sure what to do now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?