Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
summer-of-rift-touch-399-sale-1024x576.jpg

Several online shops (probably around the world) have the Oculus Rift including Touch Controler and 7 Games listed for "only" 400$ ! In Europe 450€ !

Usual price for only the Rift + Touch Controler is ~600$ / 700€ add the games which are supposed to be "worth" another 120$ you will save up more than 300$ with this bundle

Here a Link for Amazon :

http://a.co/6qckE8P

Included Games :
  • Robo Recall

• Lucky's Tale

• Dragon Front

• Quill

• Medium

• Dead & Buried

• Toybox

P.S. as allways there should be a Wireless XBOX360 Controler included in the pack, amazon takes 60$ for an Official controller ... You can probably sell it for an okay price on ebay if you don't need it so you can save another few bucks on this.

--- edit ----

not sure about the games as I can not see it on amazon.com but on the German shops they say its some kind of special promotion from Oculus that they give everyone these games who registres a Rift and Touch Controler (no idea how long this will be working and no idea if its world wide but it would be weird if not)

Last edited by Youkai,

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
but 400 usd are 350 euros what a rip off <.<

If I am not mistaken its 400+ taxes while in Europe the 450 includes taxes already ...

still about $300 off from where it should be. No VR headset should cost more than a current-gen game console.

Tell that Nintendo with their punny little tablet which is more than 400$ .... (+ another 60$ for the Pro Controler)
And wasn't the new xbox supposed to be sold at 400+ as well ?
Playstation VR is ~400 too plus you need a ps4 which still is about 200+ depending on where you buy.

I think 400$ for a propper VR device is very good ! and you get the XBOX One Controller plus these Touch Controllers as well ...
For me it was a hard descission as it is a lot of money and I am not rich but I could try this thing at the last cebit and it was awesome so after the price dropped so much I just had to order it.
Hope for it to come tomorror or the day after tomorrow.

Last edited by Youkai,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Tell that Nintendo with their puny little tablet which is more than 400$ .... (+ another 60$ for the Pro Controler)
The Switch is only $300 retail. And the Pro controller is $70, but SO worth it. Best controller in my house by far.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I still don't know anyone who has a VR headset... Still not convinced this won't just be a fad (again), something that's amazing for a couple of hours/days.

But if it lives on, I'll get it when it's 150 bucks in a year or three.

Reactions: Jayro

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I still don't know anyone who has a VR headset... Still not convinced this won't just be a fad (again), something that's amazing for a couple of hours/days.

But if it lives on, I'll get it when it's 150 bucks in a year or three.

I doubt that this would ever happen XD
But at least they will get better thats for sure

https://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-rift-components-cost-around-200-new-teardown-suggests/

This Teardown suggests that the parts are about 200$ (including xbox controler) without the touch Controler and without the games and of course noone who put all these parts together for you plus developing the software for this and whatever ...
So I would actually not be surprised if they already sell it with a loss here to get their storehouses cleared.
Not so many people that are into VR (probably because of the price for the device plus the need for a strong computer) so they do not sell a lot of these things and only pay for them sitting around waiting in some storage.

Well who knows maybe when I finaly got it I will come here and tell everyone how bad it is ... but I hope that this won't happen ;)

Last edited by Youkai,

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
I understand the notion that adopting VR this early will help fund better VR hardware in the future, but from what I've seen of VR as it is now, it look like a huge step backwards in terms of gaming. It's going to take a lot more than what they have to show for themselves now to make me pick up a VR device at any price.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I doubt that this would ever happen XD

So unlike all other tech ever produced this is already as cheap as it's ever gonna be..? If parts are already that cheap now then where does the doubt come from? I'm sure you could make a teardown of a 32" flatscreen TV and show they just couldn't cost less than $2000 and only the king of Saudi Arabia could afford one that was 37" if you go back enough years.

Pimax VR is cheaper than this sale (not included controllers or games though, so maybe not, but pretty much on par).

Let's both of us bookmark this and check back in three years from now. My guesstimate is that it's either dead or costs $150.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So unlike all other tech ever produced this is already as cheap as it's ever gonna be..? If parts are already that cheap now then where does the doubt come from? I'm sure you could make a teardown of a 32" flatscreen TV and show they just couldn't cost less than $2000 and only the king of Saudi Arabia could afford one that was 37" if you go back enough years.

Pimax VR is cheaper than this sale (not included controllers or games though, so maybe not, but pretty much on par).

Let's both of us bookmark this and check back in three years from now. My guesstimate is that it's either dead or costs $150.

Maybe you are right, tech gets cheaper but there is always a limit how cheap something can get.
Maybe in the future everything is free as everything is completely done by robots who know, but it will probably take long enough until this is so completely outdated and will probably feel like playing a nes game now XD

that Pimax have 4K thats true but several tests I have just read say that this is not really an option for gaming as while moving everything gets blury and some sensors are bad and there is not a lot of software for this. (but thats just what I have read so far)
And as you said no controller and no free games/programs ^^V

But well who cares, if Oculus would be my company it would be understandable to fight so much for it but its not and maybe it does suck bad ... I hope not.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well on German Amazon its already sold out now.

got the Oculus launcher yesterday and already downloaded most but not all free games/videos/programs ~48 (+ a hand full that I didn't even want for free)
and with the pack I should get the above mentioned 7 Games/Programs as well so about 55 already which should probably be enough for a few days XD

I have read that you can even play Vive games on it, just some games mit not feel that well due to the difference in the controller but most should work.

Last edited by Youkai,

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Nha, there aren't any games worth of purchase and it requires a VERY powerful pc to run properly this expensive accessory tho...
The only game worth of money maybe is Morty and Rick :D

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I would probably hold off on buying these $400 sets. There's word traveling around the media that Oculus plans on releasing a $200 lighter, more powerful version not too far in the future. https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...200-untracked-wireless-headset-for-next-year/

Not only this, but others are planning on releasing VR headsets which may be better in various ways such as Lenovo which doesn't require external sensors to provide room scale.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/01/03/lenovo-vr-headset-windows/

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Not a bad price, but I still stand by my decision that VR is just not quite there yet and I'll be waiting for them to reach 4K or at least close to it before I'll consider one.
The Gear VR is the only one that has a half decent resolution where you don't see the individual pixels as much, but it still has a rather jarring "diagonal lines" effect that is really visible in bright scenes.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The main problem I have is that my gaming PC isn't powerful enough. It's not far below what is recommended, but that makes it a hard bargain. And I really don't want to upgrade right now.

still about $300 off from where it should be. No VR headset should cost more than a current-gen game console.
Erm...that's not going to happen soon (or maybe even 'ever'). The problem is that the current game companies only get minimal profit or even a loss at their console sales, and then make up for that with a percentage on the software sales. But since both the oculus and the rift are open platforms (which they need to be to draw attention from developers in the first place), the profits aren't going to come in that way. In other words: they simply cannot afford to go toe to toe with console prices.

Youkai

Demon
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well the one for 200€ is just a headset with the phone included so I doubt the grafic will be anywere near to the original Rift in the next few years.

But yeah the Cable and sensors are a little bit problematic.

I had to adjust my whole room because the Sensors only have abour 1-2 meter Cable (not sure how much exactly) so I could not put them wherever I want, would have hoped that there are 10m cable or that they wouldn't need to be connected to the pc so that I could have put them on my TVs usb :/
Online some people wrote that not all extension cables would work and those that the people suggested (usb 3 with amplifier) are kind of expensive ...

The Rift has a 3 meter Cable which can be extended as well but with even more problems, needing special cables (seems some cable do work with some grafic card and the same cable wont work with another so its very bad and you need to test with some different settings) still for me after adjusting everything in my room it works fine. I have about 1,5m left and right and 2 meter back and forth.

When playing sometimes the cable is slightly in the way but most of the time I don't notice it !
There are not that much great games but some like Robo Recall are AWESOME !!! and the free short videos are nice too ^^
Even though I am playing a lot and even had a friend stay over for two days at the weekend we could not try all the games and stuff I have yet. Especially cuz my friend was so fascinated by robo recall that he could not stop playing XD
Oh yeah and Luckys Tales is sooooooo cute, must play for everyone who likes cute foxes and super mario. This game plays really well in VR and the level look very good so far.

But one Problem remains, after like 30-60 minutes I feel kind of exhausted and thats not only because of the way you play but also because this VR stuff feels like its hard on your eyes and you are to much involved sometimes. After playing to long my friend and I feld like we still are in VR while sitting in the pub drinking some coke.
Oh yeah and some games give me a very bad motion sickness or VR-Sickness https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_reality_sickness

I guess I might not use it much in a few weeks / month but that happens with like everything sadly ... for now this thing is completely awesome.

Last edited by Youkai,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
The main problem I have is that my gaming PC isn't powerful enough. It's not far below what is recommended, but that makes it a hard bargain. And I really don't want to upgrade right now.

Erm...that's not going to happen soon (or maybe even 'ever'). The problem is that the current game companies only get minimal profit or even a loss at their console sales, and then make up for that with a percentage on the software sales. But since both the oculus and the rift are open platforms (which they need to be to draw attention from developers in the first place), the profits aren't going to come in that way. In other words: they simply cannot afford to go toe to toe with console prices.
So do these headsets have any graphical power in them, or added CPU power? Or are they just corded glorified Google Cardboard with $400 of accelerators in them? I'm REALLY trying to find the reason for the justified price of four hundred dollars, but I'm not buying the bullshit.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+Vive+Teardown/62213
Your graphical power is going to come from the gpu, there are cpu's on board but they are handling everything else on the device, and more sensors then you can count
These vr headsets create a virtual space in which your head and hands can be tracked, something like google cardboard doesnt have anything like that and has to rely on the few phone sensors to track your head movement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    WPiso @ WPiso: m