Oculus Reveals New VR Headset

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Hydrazine, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Hydrazine
    OP

Hydrazine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    Canada
    The original Oculus headset dev kit was released last year, but now there's new one. Not the final consumer version but anyone can buy and already for pre order. The Dev kit 2 it is know. Similar to Sony's hmd in resolution of 1080p. DK2 differs with higher refresh rate of 75Hz and a wider fov of 100 degrees. Also has positional tracking and low-presistance tech that flashes the image before blacking screen to reduce motion blur. Cost is $350. Pre-order is now, ships in July.

[​IMG]

This is personally what I'm more interested compared to the Sony headset. Better specs on paper, built for PC, probably cheaper. But competition is good in any case. So which of the headsets you looking out for more?

2. yuyuyup

yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

Apr 30, 2006
    United States
    USA MTN timezone
    I wanna buy the new Dev model rather than wait for who knows how long for a retail version. Even if the retail version might be close to market as well, if that was the case, how much different would it be from this 2nd dev model ?

3. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    does this also come with a tf2 hat :creep:

4. Hydrazine
    OP

Hydrazine Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 19, 2014
    Canada
    The consumer version is said to be "at least as good as DK2". I personally think the different will only be ergonomics and design. Maybe also more adjustable, but pretty similar.

DK2 already has everything you could want from VR. 1080p OLED display at 75Hz, 100 degree FOV, low-presistance, full positional motion tracking. What else could be desired?