O3DS hardware problem

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i have a bit of a problem: my o3ds xl only works while being plugged in. When i plug it in it says it is at full battery, so it recognizes that the battery is there but completely disregards it. I bought a new battery with the same result. I just have no clue what to do

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What does it say when there is no battery insert and powercord is plugged in? So the battery can be charged? But cant used as standalone Powersource.

So it could be that there is a transistor damaged on the board, or maybe a chip that manages the battery.

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the console perform as normal when it's in this state and plugged in? Have you tried playing a game, and it doesn't stutter or anything? Increase the volume to hear if the sound is continuous and not-breaking..

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Could be set into kiosk unit mode, in which case it would be normal behavior. But if you had this 3DS before and this started happening only at some point, then it's a really weird issue, although I think it happened to others before.

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does the console perform as normal when it's in this state and plugged in? Have you tried playing a game, and it doesn't stutter or anything? Increase the volume to hear if the sound is continuous and not-breaking..
It works perfectly fine while plugged in with the battery. Games work fine. It just displays that it’s at 100%

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does it say when there is no battery insert and powercord is plugged in? So the battery can be charged? But cant used as standalone Powersource.

So it could be that there is a transistor damaged on the board, or maybe a chip that manages the battery.
it completely disregards the battery. i bought a new one with the same problem. when i unplug it it shuts off.

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it may be a fuse problem. are these places where the two fuses are?

Attachments

• 043E001C-4C87-44B2-9CB4-066715E52531.jpeg
    043E001C-4C87-44B2-9CB4-066715E52531.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 25

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

ok i checked the the fuses and there seems to be no continuity in the F2 fuse (i check the F1 fuse and there is continuity), if the the thing i circled was correct. Should i just buy new 3ds fuses or are the fuses not the problem?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yes these are correct, they are the fuses. Try replacing the F2. Get the right one with the correct size for your model.
But the question is why it breaks? There may be a short circuit or a temporary overvoltage. Check all ribons and connectors (they may get lose) that they are not damaged and correctly pluged in.

Source: https://www.reparation-electronique.fr/fusible-nintendo-3ds-xl/

When your Nintendo console does not turn on at all or when charging becomes impossible, a quick trip to the fuses may be necessary...

On the 3DS XL model, two fuses are located on the motherboard, the first is at the charging circuit input near the transformer power plug and the second is right next to the battery contacts since it protects the main circuit.

Fuse F1 (3DS charging circuit):

3DS_XL_fuse_02

Fuse F2 (main power 3DS):

3DS_XL_fuse_03

Obviously we will avoid MacGyver-style repairs such as replacing them with aluminum foil, tin ball, wire, etc. If the fuse has failed, there is surely a good reason, so it will be necessary to check the absence of short circuit before restarting. It can however happen that they let go because of a small overvoltage and that finally nothing behind is HS. These fuses have the K mark so they are 1.5A fuses

3DS_XL_fuse_04

These fuses for Nintendo 3DS XL are in CMS format…. Be careful not to tear the tracks when replacing them!

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes these are correct, they are the fuses. Try replacing the F2. Get the right one with the correct size for your model.
But the question is why it breaks? There may be a short circuit or a temporary overvoltage. Check all ribons and connectors (they may get lose) that they are not damaged and correctly pluged in.

When your Nintendo console does not turn on at all or when charging becomes impossible, a quick trip to the fuses may be necessary...

On the 3DS XL model, two fuses are located on the motherboard, the first is at the charging circuit input near the transformer power plug and the second is right next to the battery contacts since it protects the main circuit.

3DS_XL_fuse_02

3DS_XL_fuse_03

Obviously we will avoid MacGyver-style repairs such as replacing them with aluminum foil, tin ball, wire, etc. If the fuse has failed, there is surely a good reason, so it will be necessary to check the absence of short circuit before restarting. It can however happen that they let go because of a small overvoltage and that finally nothing behind is HS. These fuses have the K mark so they are 1.5A fuses

3DS_XL_fuse_04

These fuses for Nintendo 3DS XL are in CMS format…. Be careful not to tear the tracks when replacing them!

alright thank you for the help. im not sure what caused the fuse to blow i thought it was just because i’ve used my 3ds xl a ton

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

3DS_XL_fuse_02

3DS_XL_fuse_03

3DS_XL_fuse_04

Would these be the right fuses?

Attachments

• 4BA12B75-6428-4056-B349-82306B742D74.jpeg
    4BA12B75-6428-4056-B349-82306B742D74.jpeg
    711.1 KB · Views: 19

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
both of them are black or dark blue but i don’t see a “K” on them. I do see the “F1” and “F2” labels right by them

Attachments

• 549ADDF2-2AB9-4E19-9098-FB91D79EB1CE.jpeg
    549ADDF2-2AB9-4E19-9098-FB91D79EB1CE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 26
  • EDE45DFA-16B2-4307-B84D-A4B156689767.jpeg
    EDE45DFA-16B2-4307-B84D-A4B156689767.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I know only the f1 f2 fuses with K on it are for 3DS, 3DS XL/LL. Sorry i dont find any clear specification. I dont know if its only old, new or both 3DS Modells. The pictures i posted are defently your Motherboard. So i would say they are correct. But to be sure 100%, maybe ask a seller wich sell them for replacment for the Nintendo 3DS.

Last edited by Sypherone,

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know only the f1 f2 fuses with K on it are for 3DS, 3DS XL/LL. Sorry i dont find any clear specification. I dont know if its only old, new or both 3DS Modells. The pictures i posted are defently your Motherboard. So i would say they are correct. But to be sure 100%, maybe ask a seller wich sell them for replacment for the Nintendo 3DS.

heres the full picture motherboard just for clarity

Attachments

• EA626D97-D0AF-4CBB-892F-4A25E16F4CC1.jpeg
    EA626D97-D0AF-4CBB-892F-4A25E16F4CC1.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 27

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

oh and how do i check the voltage of the fuses with a multimeter?

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
U cant directly. For Voltage checking u need two phases wich u should know as positiv and negativ. So u need to find the second Contact. But iam sure its the same Voltage wich is provided by the battery or the poweradapter. But as i see they are different. 😕 Battery gives 3,7 V and the Poweradapter gives 4,6 V.

spaceworld_5

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
U cant directly. For Voltage checking u need two phases wich u should know as positiv and negativ. So u need to find the second Contact. But iam sure its the same Voltage wich is provided by the battery or the poweradapter. But as i see they are different. 😕 Battery gives 3,7 V and the Poweradapter gives 4,6 V.

oops i think i meant amps since they are 1.5A

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1