Homebrew RELEASE nxsh - remote shell for the Nintendo Switch over telnet

caesura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,

I'm a bit new to the Switch homebrew community, so please forgive me if this is not the place for a post like this.

Because the implementation of an ssh server on the console is no small endeavor (considering all of the crypto involved), I've spent the last few days developing a BusyBox-like remote shell for the Switch over telnet. Users can connect in via port 5050 (either through the CLI telnet client on *nix or PuTTY on Windows) and interact with the system in a way that emulates a simple shell.

While the list of available commands right now is incredibly small, I plan to implement more and more in the upcoming weeks. The product is stable "enough" to be released right now, but bugs are sure to arise over time, so please don't send pitchforks to my house if it segfaults. ;)

I tried to post a few screenshots/a link to the Github project, but alas (I'm too new of a user). More information/download links can be found here on GitHub: Cesura/nxsh

- cesura

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Clickable link:
https://github.com/Cesura/nxsh/releases

nro on the switch side:
Qfm7ZMi.jpg

shell on the PC:
ZbKWiCC.png

Last edited by notimp,

Taorn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Welcome! Nice to see a new face around here.
Release is looking good. Definitely trying it out.

caesura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks everyone! For clarification, the root directory is in fact the root of the SD card and not the internal NAND storage. As of right now, it seems like it's sandboxed into that directory.

Also note that I've just put out a quick 0.1.2-alpha release with a few added functionalities, as well as a big bugfix for PuTTY users that were getting "command not found" errors upon every sent message (despite it otherwise operating correctly). I'd recommend that anyone insisting on using PuTTY connect via a raw socket rather than telnet, simply to avoid any of the garbage that gets sent in the beginning as the telnet protocol tries to negotiate the connection.

It's still definitely not stable, but we're getting there. :)

Reactions: hippy dave

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks awesome! Any chance on future SSH support? Fetch commands are nice, but I'd love to be able to use SCP/SFTP to manage files on my Switch.

Keep up the good work!

caesura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This looks awesome! Any chance on future SSH support? Fetch commands are nice, but I'd love to be able to use SCP/SFTP to manage files on my Switch.
Right now the biggest reason for nxsh instead of a standard SSH server implementation is the lack of cryptographic libraries available on the Switch. Also, launching a non-NRO executable is not possible at the moment (to my knowledge), so even if you got in, you couldn't do much.

Version 0.1.7-beta
Just as an announcement, I've made quite a bit of progress since this original post 2 weeks ago. A few new features include:
  • Full-fledged scripting system using JS (ECMAScript 5.1-compliant)
  • Bash-like prompt
  • Password authentication
  • Logging functionality
  • A "fetch" command to grab files from remote HTTP servers (among other new commands)

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right now the biggest reason for nxsh instead of a standard SSH server implementation is the lack of cryptographic libraries available on the Switch. Also, launching a non-NRO executable is not possible at the moment (to my knowledge), so even if you got in, you couldn't do much.

Not really looking to launch executables as much as I'd like to be able to use SFTP. Thanks though, it looks like you're making great progress on this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Is it safe to update a modded ps3? Can I play online in pirated games? (with ps3hen either...