The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
So what do you guys think of the choice? Is it the x1 or the x2? Either way I think it will be between the Wii U and PS4, performance wise, somewhat closer to the PS4 scale. I've been trying to find videos of the tegra's performance but never came up with something that could refer to a near decisive estimate of its performance.
Nvidia's statement that it comes close to the world's top gaming graphics cards seems bullshit, unless they mean the 750ti or something like that...

Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards.

:arrow:Source

More info:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

Reactions: Xabring

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I highly doubt it will be an X1, since the Shield uses one.
It has to be either a modified X1 or maybe even an X2 or another one that goes beyond that, but we still have yet to see the final words from Nvidia and Nintendo regarding the specs.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
All we know is that it's a mobile nVidia SoC. Rumors say the early dev kits were Tegra X1 but revisions still can be made or probably already made.

Remember tech companies like to exaggerate specs quite a bit but don't get the idea that the switch won't have AAA third party titles. nVidia said they made a low level api for Devs to harness the full power of the SoC.

Overall this is Nintendo, prepare yourself to be disappointed to some degree.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Jiehfeng

The One
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
All we know is that it's a mobile nVidia SoC. Rumors say the early dev kits were Tegra X1 but revisions still can be made or probably already made.

Remember tech companies like to exaggerate specs quite a bit but don't get the idea that the switch won't have AAA third party titles. nVidia said they made a low level api for Devs to harness the full power of the SoC.

Overall this is Nintendo, prepare yourself to be disappointed to some degree.

I'm not quite sure about the AAA third party titles... It's possible, or in another aspect, I'm pretty sure there would be at least older AAA titles like the Wii U did have but in bigger numbers.

D

Deleted User

The Nintendo Wii U can run Batman Arkham City and WATCH_DOGS at great graphics and a very good performance, and it only has a 3-core PowerPC CPU (Excluding the IOSU's CPU) and 1GB of RAM (Shared between VRAM and system.) And when has ever Nintendo had an issue with hardware resources? My point is that Nintendo are really brilliant with configuring, customizing and optimizing their resources, they know how to make a powerful system with low budget (And low power consumption.) They are not like Sony & Microsoft whom fool their customers with a 53289 core CPU and 50 GB of RAM and 6 Nvidia Titan Black GPUs for $1000 (If you don't know sarcasm, you wont understand this sentence.)

Last edited by ,
D

Deleted User

If the operating system is perfectly optimized, then 1GB dedicated to gaming is more than enough, plus, not to forget that the CPU of the Wii U uses a totally different instruction set of type RISC than those x86-64 (RISC emulating CISC) used in PS4 and XBox One, which should also affect the amount of RAM used per executed program.

PS4's OS is based on FreeBSD (Unix), XBox One is based on Windows and some virtualization box, Wii U OS is totally developed by Nintendo for gaming purposes only (MarioNumber1 told me that in an IRC channel), so they only had gaming optimization in mind while creating it.

Last edited by ,

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That rumour also said that they had large loud fans attached to it to keep them cooled as they were assumed to be over-clocked. If that rumour is true, then they certainly aren't using a stock X1

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's CUSTOM. It's right in the press release. So while it may be close to the X1 in dev kits, we know it will at least be a little different (and optimized), because it's custom. :P

RemixDeluxe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo can't afford to go cheap this time around. It needs to be powerful like the GameCube was so it can be attractive to 3rd party.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
That rumour also said that they had large loud fans attached to it to keep them cooled as they were assumed to be over-clocked. If that rumour is true, then they certainly aren't using a stock X1
You can use large loud fans and overclock the nVidia Tegra X1 Jetson dev board yourself. That doesn't mean that its not a stock X1 and you know rumors mean nothing.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what do you guys think of the choice? Is it the x1 or the x2? Either way I think it will be between the Wii U and PS4, performance wise, somewhat closer to the PS4 scale. I've been trying to find videos of the tegra's performance but never came up with something that could refer to a near decisive estimate of its performance.
Nvidia's statement that it comes close to the world's top gaming graphics cards seems bullshit, unless they mean the 750ti or something like that...

:arrow:Source

More info:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

Well they do make full performace high end chips, that are laptop size, but they usually then need to be underclocked not to turn into a ball of fire due to no cooling.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The Nintendo Wii U can run Batman Arkham City and WATCH_DOGS at great graphics and a very good performance......

:lol: - Wot? I'll have a drag of whatever you're smoking, must be good shit! ;) I think you'd have been much better off talking about in-house Wii U games - Mario Kart 8 is still a beautiful game, Kirby's Rainbow-Paintbrush-whatever was amazing looking, and recent Paper Mario Color Splash speaks for itself...

@ OP, Nvidia's statement on the Switch unveil day suggested the GPU was Pascal-based: the x1 is Maxwell-based... all eyes would point to it being a variant of x2 over the x1, but like Luckkill4u says don't get too excited - I would expect a more stripped down version to combat heat issues/battery life, certainly a lower frequency over 'stock'
Possibly closer to the Xbox One as opposed to a PS4 at a guess, and with the benefit of a 720p screen we should see titles close to the current gen consoles - but we won't know for sure until the bigger unveil in January..

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can use large loud fans and overclock the nVidia Tegra X1 Jetson dev board yourself. That doesn't mean that its not a stock X1 and you know rumors mean nothing.
well yeah, but my point was, if they overclock to give developers an approximation of final power, and since there won't be that huge fan in the final product, then a normal stock tegra x1 wouldn't be in the final product.

and as you pointed out, only if it's true, which is a huge if :)

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Nintendo Wii U can run Batman Arkham City and WATCH_DOGS at great graphics and a very good performance, and it only has a 3-core PowerPC CPU (Excluding the IOSU's CPU) and 1GB of RAM (Shared between VRAM and system.) And when has ever Nintendo had an issue with hardware resources? My point is that Nintendo are really brilliant with configuring, customizing and optimizing their resources, they know how to make a powerful system with low budget (And low power consumption.) They are not like Sony & Microsoft whom fool their customers with a 53289 core CPU and 50 GB of RAM and 6 Nvidia Titan Black GPUs for $1000 (If you don't know sarcasm, you wont understand this sentence.)

If you mean Watch_Dogs running at <20 fps and being delayed months after to "enhance" the game, then sure, I guess it's good performance on the Wii U :lol:

vincentx77

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though it's supposed to be a custom design, I really don't expect THAT much on the CPU side. Truthfully, I 'want' to believe that they are at least getting something made using Pascal. It's so much more powerful, and so much more power efficient, that I'd be hard pressed to think that this wouldn't be the time that nVidia would drop a new Tegra design using Pascal architecture (the one they've been calling Parker). Even if Nintendo needs to use a slightly cut down version of the chip, I still think (hope) that's what will end up happening.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: