NTSC games on a PAL NES

SaddQ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've just acquired a Powerpak for my PAL NES and I'm looking forward to playing all games as they were intended to be played, in 60 Hz or modified (sped up) 50 Hz.
Obviously, all NTSC games were meant to run at 60 Hz and will run too slow on my PAL console.
My console is modified to run PAL and NTSC games, although there's no 60 Hz switch.

Is there a way to play those US/JPN games at the correct speed? I'm thinking about games like Megaman 6, Dragon Warrior 1 to 4, TMNT III and other big releases that were never released in PAL regions.
Like, is there some piece of software patch I can use to speed up the NTSC games such that they will run correctly for me?

kaputnik

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Afaik it's not possible.

If I remember it right, it had something to do with the PPU using the same oscillator as the CPU, and by clocking up the CPU to play NTSC games at their intended speed, you'd also "speed up" the generated video signal correspondingly, pushing it outside the PAL specification. Don't take this explanation for a fact though, I might be completely wrong, it was ages ago I read up on the subject.

I am however almost completely sure that you can't do what you want to do, at least not with simple means. Your best bet would be getting a NTSC NES :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.theverge.com/2024/7/26/24206529/intel-13th-14th-gen-crashing-instability-cpu-voltage-q-a +1