Question ntr plugins fot Nintendo switch

Discussion in 'Switch - ROM Hacking, Saves, Translations & Tools' started by saltyyslurry, Sep 24, 2018.

1. saltyyslurry
    OP

saltyyslurry Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 24, 2018
    Australia
    hey guys long time reader a and new member here. i am well into the hacking scene. but i was wondering if there is any possibility for ntr plugins for the Nintendo switch or something similar. is there anything in development or are they similar to 3DS plugins. any info will be greatly appreciated.

2. ichibaka

ichibaka Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 4, 2018
    United States
    Look at ReiNX

3. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    The closest we have to ntr plug-ins are custom kip files used by every cfw except for SX os.

4. Arikaido

Arikaido GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    United States
    Care to elaborate on this just a bit? I'm having a hard time finding concrete info on what KIPs actually are.

5. zenamez

zenamez GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2016
    Kips are shorthand for Kernel Initialisation Process. You can think of it like either a kernel extension (providing bonus functionality to existing kernel stuff - i.e LFS), or a separate process you tell the kernel to run (i.e FTPD kip module) with the same permissions as the kernel. I believe it comes from Linux where the kernel is modular, and allows you to load these little modules (kips or kpps) on demand or on boot to provide functionality (drivers etc). Compare that to Windows' monolithic kernel where everything required is loaded into RAM at once and the only way to unload it is to restart (which unloads the kernel completely).

ReiNX is a great example of this as you can use the ReiNX toolkit to dynamically load/unload kips on demand compared to Hekate where everything is loaded on boot and that's it (no option to unload them but that's a Hekate design issue, not a Switch kernel one).

Last edited by zenamez, Sep 28, 2018
    Arikaido likes this.
  6. Arikaido

Arikaido GBAtemp Regular

Jan 29, 2010
    United States
    A+ for informative content. Thanks a ton. I've been using LFS for a few months, so I get that it substitutes specific game files, which is drastically different from NTR plugins, which modifies RAM. Do you know if this difference is a limitation of current CFWs or if it's just a matter of no one has bothered to make it happen?

Last edited by Arikaido, Sep 29, 2018