NTFS support instead of WBFS?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Dinoguy, Apr 19, 2009.

Apr 19, 2009

NTFS support instead of WBFS? by Dinoguy at 10:27 AM (1,426 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Dinoguy
    OP

Member Dinoguy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Not sure if he was being serious,but he mentioned NTSF support. Was he telling the truth or ws it just a small lie, in other words possible or not.
    http://hackmii.com/2009/03/my-6-hour-trip-to-the-dark-side/

Is there also a easy to use WBFS manager since all of them freeze while installing the .NET thing.

2. kedest

Member kedest GBAtemp Psycho!

Netherlands
    there are pc wbfs tools that don't need .net

3. thatcoolguy

Newcomer thatcoolguy Member

Australia
    he said it *could* be added, although with marcan's stance on 'warez launchers' you will never see any of that from him.

for WBFS i just use the command line tool, no GUI. it hasn't given me any problems at all.

4. manias

Member manias GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    wbfs auto scrubs. we do NOT need ntfs

5. carbonyle

Member carbonyle GBAtemp Fan

Switzerland
    NTFS is closed WBFS isn't. No need of a closed file system (which is not so good and even worse on linux)

6. Egonny

Member Egonny GBAtemp Fan

Belgium
    NTFS gets recognized by Windows, WBFS doesn't.
    I search already 2 weeks(!) to get a solution on my problem with WBFS formatting PC Wii.
    NTFS or any other filesystem that is supported by Windows is very welcome.

7. SpAM_CAN

Member SpAM_CAN GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You can't do anything once you have WBFS readability! Dont'cha remember the MacFUSE addon? You just saw a bunch of WBFS Disk Images. If you need to get into the drive, use Linux.

8. McHaggis

Member McHaggis Fackin' Troller

United Kingdom
    I do remember reading something from Waninkoko that said "Don't expect NTFS/ext support".

There are no patents for NTFS (in any country). NTFS-3G don't pay any license fees to Microsoft and their driver is included in most linux distributions. If anyone knows of an open source NTFS driver, it could possibly be ported to cIOS USB2.

Native compatibility on a PC wouldn't be the only benefit of NTFS support. Marcan mentions the possibilities of implementing caching which would increase the read speed and I don't think WBFS does any caching.

McH

[EDIT] Actually, I think ntfs-3g is open source for non-commercial purposes.

9. Don Killah

Member Don Killah GBAtemp Maniac

France
    [​IMG] never heard of this NTFS3G stuff, might come in handy. however it's all nonsense since marcan switched to non wii projects.
    WBFS is fine as it is, maybe trying to add more compatibility or caching like stated in the previous post.