Homebrew RELEASE NSZ Title Compression Results

JRoad

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
NCZ is just compressed NCA with untouched header. Encryption is still there untouched.
In the header that's true, the body is plaintexted in the compression process, then is re-encrypted after decompression. The process works perfectly and files verify and hash fine after decompression.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

4 % of original NSP size? How is that even possible, wtf.
My theory is games with a color palette that has few variation will compress really well, like hollow knight for example that uses colors to differentiate the different parts of Hallownest.

Reactions: lordelan

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
My theory is games with a color palette that has few variation will compress really well, like hollow knight for example that uses colors to differentiate the different parts of Hallownest.
More repetetive data = more compression. Games that are already compressed (Telltale games or UE4 games) have very weak compression ratio. Unity games may vary, because some devs are using compression for all assets, some only for part of assets, some none at all. Darkest Dungeon have good compression, because many data are uncompressed.

And here is table on GDrive to look online
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...kvx6w0_PNE7jU-6URjEjUXYcE/edit#gid=1033668554

Last edited by masagrator,

morvoran

President-Elect
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are some very impressive results in that csv file. I see good things coming due to this new container file format. I can't wait for it to become the norm of all switch "backup" methods.

Reactions: linuxares

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nicely done! That's some impressive stats for sure!
Now we need a way to load the compressed files directly :P (I know it's not possible with the standard OS. This is a joke)

OFW no way, however I am thinking about adding installing NSZ support to my atmosphere fork. My only hesitation is the support nightmare of people switching CFW's (either intentionally or not) and their games no longer working.

If wonder if this would already work with Tinson and Tinfoil.

NSZ files are already installable with Tinfoil 5.00+

I am adding support to OG Tinfoil eventually.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
OFW no way, however I am thinking about adding installing NSZ support to my atmosphere fork. My only hesitation is the support nightmare of people switching CFW's (either intentionally or not) and their games no longer working.

NSZ files are already installable with Tinfoil 5.00+

I am adding support to OG Tinfoil eventually.
Is it possible to do a module that you can load in to Atmosphere?

Reactions: one-piece

blawar

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to do a module that you can load in to Atmosphere?

It should be, however one thing that is abundantly clear: users cannot reliably copy files from a zip file, and HOS does not give specific error messages about it when it is not correct. It needs to be as simple as "update to the latest atmosphere, reinx, or SX". ReiNX and SX would be amenable to such standardization given source code was provided, however I am not hopeful that I could get the code into Atmosphere's master given reswitch's stance on NSP's.

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It should be, however one thing that is abundantly clear: users cannot reliably copy files from a zip file, and HOS does not give specific error messages about it when it is not correct. It needs to be as simple as "update to the latest atmosphere, reinx, or SX". ReiNX and SX would be amenable to such standardization given source code was provided, however I am not hopeful that I could get the code into Atmosphere's master given reswitch's stance on NSP's.
If the module can be downloaded from example Github or such. I see no problem at all with it. I rather appreciate it since it would open a lot of saved space. I don't know if you used Wii? But using trimmed ISO files save a TON of space. So I'm all for if a module is possible to be created that works on Rei, Atmo and SX.

EDIT: I mean, people already need to get sigpatches for Atmo from external sources today. so it's no biggie I would say.

Reactions: one-piece

masagrator

The patches guy
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
compression level 17 = 9.26GB !! how did you manage 2.2GB ??
Huh?

Screenshot_20191010_192853.jpg

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.