Hacking Not sure where to ask about WAD Manager

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I went a little crazy trying to install wayy too many WADs and half of them failed because I had run out of memory.

When I started deleting some of the channels I had, the blocks remained at 0 remaining, even though I knew they took memory.

I installed a few more channels after I had room and noticed that one of them failed at installing Content 4/5.

My question is: do the failed installs take up room? that now I cannot delete? aka did 4/5 content install, but because it failed, those blocks stayed full while I cannot access it to delete it?

And why did the remaining blocks in the data management remain 0 even though I had deleted a few channels.

I apologize if I posted in the wrong place and thanks in advance for the advice/help.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
If the installation is cancelled, nothing from the WAD should remain on the nand, maybe the ticket, but that's < 1 block. One problem is that some titles use so-called shared contents, those are never deleted and remain forever on your wii. But only IOS and cIOS should use those, VC/WiiWare/other channels shouldn't. If you delete a WAD, all contents that are not shared should get deleted as exptected.

I think your main problem is that the system menu wants a certain amount of free space, and the free blocks are displayed as 0, even if should be displayed as -X. Depending on how much space you used, which you shouldn't have used.

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the reply WiiPower.

I am using the multi-mod manager that modmii downloads. By the installation cancelling, you are referring to it erroring and not installing, yes? The WAD's that failed said error and ticket -0101 if i recall correctly. Is that what you are referring to when you say ticket? Unfortunately, because it errored on content 4/5, I cannot access the channel to delete it (of course).

I was installing VC/WiiWare.

How am I to know how much memory I am not supposed to use? Other than going over and the Wii System bonking me on the head?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I have no idea how you are supposed to get that info. It is possible to get the free space in wii homebrew, so you could write a WAD Manager that shows how much free space is there on nand. If you knew how much space the system menu reserves, you could calculate how much free blocks it displays/would display. I thought some WAD Manager did this, but i could be wrong.

When starting the install process for a WAD, the ticket is installed seperately. And the contents are copied to /tmp 1st and only moved to the correct location when finishing the installation. And /tmp is deleted everytime the system boots or more often.

Boogieman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So long story short, I did no harm to (reduce the size of) my Wii's memory. I'm just allowing my OCD to run rampant?

obcd

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If you really need to install that much VC/Wiiware, you should consider using s(u)neek or Triiforce / Mighty Channels with an emulated nand.
Even Hermes uLoader was able to load VC/Wiiware from a virtual nand setup.
The Wii internal nand disk was initially only intended for gamesaves. With a 20 -30MB space used by every VC/Wiiware install, it's capacity is quickly used up.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...