Hacking Noob to PS3 scene. Need help to get started.

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey, so I've been interested in CFW'ing my PS3 4.81, but I don't know where to start.
I need some little background info so I can enter the scene comfortably, knowing what I am doing 90% of the time...

So here are some questions:

1. "What is" PS3 CFW & the PS3 Homebrew Scene in general?

2. What are the benefits of having a CFW'd PS3?

3. Where should I start? Is there some sort of guide I can follow to begin my journey into the scene?

4. Risks, like Bricks or Not being able to play Online anymore?

5. Am I able to dump Discs to play backups?

6. If I get CFW, will it be safe to update?

7. Any Other Info that I need to know? (Free Free making this an entire wall of text, I don't mind at all)

D

Deleted User

Hey,

Before I answer these questions, just to let you know, you can't install any CFW on 4.81. If you want to install CFW, you will need to downgrade your PS3 to 3.55 using an E3 Flasher, but even then your PS3 must first not be a CECH-3XXX model or a super slim, otherwise you're screwed and can only do the backup injection method. Alternatively, you can just purchase another PS3 on 3.55 from somewhere.

1) PS3 CFW is...... custom firmware for PS3? I don't quite get what answer you're expecting here because it's just like any other console CFW... :unsure:

2) You can play PS3, PS2, PS1, and PSP backups all in one system; access to PS3 homebrew and emulators; access to some neat debug settings, there's all sorts.

3) Kind of same answer as my disclaimer at the top. You need to be on 3.55 to be able to install any sort of CFW. But when you do get on 3.55, it's very straightforward to install (the CFW is in the form of a system update file). All you do is just copy it to a FAT32 USB at /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP, insert the USB into the PS3, make sure no game disc is inserted, then select "update via storage media" in the system settings.
Most people's choice of PS3 CFW nowadays is Rebug, so just visit the Rebug website to grab the latest file to install.

4) I am unsure of brick risks since I have only purchased my CFW PS3s pre-modded (the risk should be very low though, I imagine). But I can tell you that if you're planning on going online, you should always make sure you use the PSNPatch homebrew to disable CFW syscalls and wipe your boot history each time before you enter PSN. Also to be on the safe side, it's recommended not to sync trophies if you've used the trophy unlocker function, or if you've unlocked trophies in games you don't own.

5) It should be possible to dump discs with a backup loader such as multiMAN or irisMAN, but I have never tried it myself.

6) It won't be safe to update using wifi or a game disc at all (although I think 'update via wifi' is greyed out anyway if you're on CFW), as that'll just grab the OFW PUP file to install. Each time there is a new official PS3 update, the rebug site usually uploads the new PS3 version with Rebug CFW hacked into it, so you just grab that new version and install exactly like I wrote in answer #3, and that's how you stay up-to-date.

7) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by ,
Reactions: UltraArceus3

UltraArceus3

Living Specimen roaming the Third Dimension
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey,

Before I answer these questions, just to let you know, you can't install any CFW on 4.81. If you want to install CFW, you will need to downgrade your PS3 to 3.55 using an E3 Flasher, but even then your PS3 must first not be a CECH-3XXX model or a super slim, otherwise you're screwed and can only do the backup injection method. Alternatively, you can just purchase another PS3 on 3.55 from somewhere.

1) PS3 CFW is...... custom firmware for PS3? I don't quite get what answer you're expecting here because it's just like any other console CFW... :unsure:

2) You can play PS3, PS2, PS1, and PSP backups all in one system; access to PS3 homebrew and emulators; access to some neat debug settings, there's all sorts.

3) Kind of same answer as my disclaimer at the top. You need to be on 3.55 to be able to install any sort of CFW. But when you do get on 3.55, it's very straightforward to install (the CFW is in the form of a system update file). All you do is just copy it to a FAT32 USB at /PS3/UPDATE/PS3UPDAT.PUP, insert the USB into the PS3, make sure no game disc is inserted, then select "update via storage media" in the system settings.
Most people's choice of PS3 CFW nowadays is Rebug, so just visit the Rebug website to grab the latest file to install.

4) I am unsure of brick risks since I have only purchased my CFW PS3s pre-modded (the risk should be very low though, I imagine). But I can tell you that if you're planning on going online, you should always make sure you use the PSNPatch homebrew to disable CFW syscalls and wipe your boot history each time before you enter PSN. Also to be on the safe side, it's recommended not to sync trophies if you've used the trophy unlocker function, or if you've unlocked trophies in games you don't own.

5) It should be possible to dump discs with a backup loader such as multiMAN or irisMAN, but I have never tried it myself.

6) It won't be safe to update using wifi or a game disc at all (although I think 'update via wifi' is greyed out anyway if you're on CFW), as that'll just grab the OFW PUP file to install. Each time there is a new official PS3 update, the rebug site usually uploads the new PS3 version with Rebug CFW hacked into it, so you just grab that new version and install exactly like I wrote in answer #3, and that's how you stay up-to-date.

7) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Thanks for the reply, it's really helpful! (I don't know why I put Question 1, tbh, I just thought I would get some sort of answer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1