Hacking noob question, any help?

Jupiterman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was hoping for a basic rundown. I intend on picking up smash bros tomorrow in order to hack my wii, but I'm wondering, what exactly comes with hacking a wii? I usually hack my systems etc.. just to prove that I can. I've heard there is the homebrew channel and dvd playback but what else comes from hacking your wii, and is it really as easy as it sounds with modmii?

shamiko_

~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Jupiterman said:
I was hoping for a basic rundown. I intend on picking up smash bros tomorrow in order to hack my wii, but I'm wondering, what exactly comes with hacking a wii? I usually hack my systems etc.. just to prove that I can. I've heard there is the homebrew channel and dvd playback but what else comes from hacking your wii, and is it really as easy as it sounds with modmii?

yup, nothing more n00b proof than ModMii, all you have to do is read the instrucions and you'll soon have a hacked nintendo wii.

after you've hacked your wii you can get a USB loader to play backups off a HDD, that way you get a more flexible option of either

1.playing games off a USB loader

2.. play games by launching then via the system menu by creating channels

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WADs are just a container for all stuff that can be installed on Wii and executed. IOS, system menu, channels, VC, WiiWare, HBC, forwarders etc. You can also pack boot2 in a wad, but i strongly recommend against even trying to install it that way.

Jupiterman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha I'ma gonna take it slow so I'll avoid anything you wouldn't recommend. I'd like to find out more about how the wads and VC and everything works, any links or directions you could point me in?

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Basically, all the illegal stuff (and some system files from the Wii discs) comes in .WAD form. Any decent WAD installer (there are plenty, a quick Google search would give a great one) can get them in safely. So then you can get free WiiWare and VC.

Also, you can load games off of a USB hard drive, and you don't have to swap discs that way.

In reality, it's very hard to brick a Wii if you have an inkling of what you're doing.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
WiiPower said:
WADs are just a container for all stuff that can be installed on Wii and executed. IOS, system menu, channels, VC, WiiWare, HBC, forwarders etc. You can also pack boot2 in a wad, but i strongly recommend against even trying to install it that way.
I didn't think you could update boot2 with a wad manager.

Fishaman P said:
Basically, all the illegal stuff (and some system files from the Wii discs) comes in .WAD form. Any decent WAD installer (there are plenty, a quick Google search would give a great one) can get them in safely. So then you can get free WiiWare and VC.
Please don't encourage breaking the law.
QUOTE(Fishaman P @ May 22 2011, 01:34 PM)
In reality, it's very hard to brick a Wii if you have an inkling of what you're doing.
I'd disagree on that. Maybe a full brick, but a lot of people who "have an inkling" of what they are doing still get banner bricks and such. I've never bricked a Wii myself, but I've helped fix quite a few.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: i always pee in the water