noob question, any help?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Jupiterman, May 22, 2011.

May 22, 2011

noob question, any help? by Jupiterman at 9:54 AM (646 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Jupiterman
    OP

Newcomer Jupiterman Member

United States
    I was hoping for a basic rundown. I intend on picking up smash bros tomorrow in order to hack my wii, but I'm wondering, what exactly comes with hacking a wii? I usually hack my systems etc.. just to prove that I can. I've heard there is the homebrew channel and dvd playback but what else comes from hacking your wii, and is it really as easy as it sounds with modmii?

2. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    yup, nothing more n00b proof than ModMii, all you have to do is read the instrucions and you'll soon have a hacked nintendo wii.

after you've hacked your wii you can get a USB loader to play backups off a HDD, that way you get a more flexible option of either

1.playing games off a USB loader

2.. play games by launching then via the system menu by creating channels

3. Jupiterman
    OP

United States
    Thanks a ton man. I have one more question though, what are wads?

4. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    wads cover custom channels, waiiware ,VC
    but also IOS files

5. WiiPower

Member WiiPower GBAtemp Guru

Germany
    WADs are just a container for all stuff that can be installed on Wii and executed. IOS, system menu, channels, VC, WiiWare, HBC, forwarders etc. You can also pack boot2 in a wad, but i strongly recommend against even trying to install it that way.

6. Jupiterman
    OP

United States
    Haha I'ma gonna take it slow so I'll avoid anything you wouldn't recommend. I'd like to find out more about how the wads and VC and everything works, any links or directions you could point me in?

7. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
  8. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    Basically, all the illegal stuff (and some system files from the Wii discs) comes in .WAD form. Any decent WAD installer (there are plenty, a quick Google search would give a great one) can get them in safely. So then you can get free WiiWare and VC.

Also, you can load games off of a USB hard drive, and you don't have to swap discs that way.

In reality, it's very hard to brick a Wii if you have an inkling of what you're doing.

9. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    I'd disagree on that. Maybe a full brick, but a lot of people who "have an inkling" of what they are doing still get banner bricks and such. I've never bricked a Wii myself, but I've helped fix quite a few.