Noob PSP-Hacking Questions

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by Makoto0729, Aug 20, 2010.

Aug 20, 2010
  1. Makoto0729

Member Makoto0729 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 28, 2009
    United States
    So, I have a couple questions. I'm considering getting a PSP, but due to limited funds (poor college student), only if the answers are what I hope...

First off, I've seen PSPs and PSP Gos at the store I work at, though I lack the authority to access the boxes. We only carry new systems, not used. Are new PSP-100x models still being made , or are they all now 200x or 300x (or Go)? As I understand it, 100x models are easiest to hack...

Second, I gather that after a certain firmware number is installed (5.0.3, I think?), PSPs are unhackable. Is this true, or is there a method I haven't found yet?

Third, how recent a firmware do new PSPs tend to have? Would one bought new at this point be likely to have an unhackable firmware, if it does exist?

Fourth, comparing it to hacking a 4.1 Wii, how much easier or more difficult would it be to hack? It seems confusing, but that may be simply because I don't have one myself yet....

Fifth, is custom hardware required, like this "Pandora's Battery" I read about, or is it totally softmoddable?

Finally, what is the probability of bricking your PSP while hacking it?

Thanks for your time and answers in advance... It's much appreciated.
  2. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

Feb 16, 2010
    California, Redlands
    United States
    They don't make 100X anymore, you can use HBL to load homebrew on any PSP, 6.20 or lower, and soon to be any firmware. but NO pirating with HBL

After a certain firmware they are unhackable unless you use pandora battery

I made my own pandora battery, and then unmade a pandora battery, there directions on the internet, you just need a really steady hand, and luck
    Pandora battery, basically puts the hardware in service mode, so you load a new firmware on it, usually 5.03 m33 or something like that

I think it's harder compared to a wii

umm, I believe bricking chances are high,
  3. cracker

Member cracker Nyah!

Aug 24, 2005
    United States
    A hard-modded battery isn't that easy for most... I was very careful to not puncture the inside of the battery, yet I did. Smoke poured out and it took about 5 seconds for me to throw it outside.

For the OP: If the PSP you get is < 6.10 then you can use the ChickHEN exploit to launch the CFW exploit. Otherwise get a 'PSP Tool' that is sold on various stores (is really a Pandora Battery).
  4. Jolan

Member Jolan Unlimited Bear Works

Mar 20, 2010
    Netherlands, currently