Hacking NOOB PARADISE - ask away

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't get cfg-loader-mod revision 45 and DM 2.2 (the version from http://uploaded.net/file/of524gjv the actual file is dated 5th Aug) to play GCN games off a 150gb FAT32 partition (formatted to 32k clusters using Easeus Partition Manager, I don't know how to check if it actually created 32k clusters though) on a 500gb SATA2 HDD.

I have both the apps and the GCN games on the same FAT32 partition.

Each time I try, I either get a black screen after the DIOS MIOS splash screen, or the DIOS MIOS just freezes.

I installed the DM 2.2 wad on IOS249.

I can play Wii backups just fine. I have these on a NTFS partition on the rest of the drive. It's just GCN games.
Also I noticed when I ran syscheck just now, it wouldn't work from the 150gb fat32 partition, but it did work off a 8gb FAT32 usb flash drive. (Maybe apps don't work well off the large partition?)

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, please advise.

syscheck is here:

http://pastebin.com/FsyT2kQ6

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I can't get cfg-loader-mod revision 45 and DM 2.2 (the version from http://uploaded.net/file/of524gjv the actual file is dated 5th Aug) to play GCN games off a 150gb FAT32 partition (formatted to 32k clusters using Easeus Partition Manager, I don't know how to check if it actually created 32k clusters though) on a 500gb SATA2 HDD.

Each time I try, I either get a black screen after the DIOS MIOS splash screen, or the DIOS MIOS just freezes.

I can play Wii backups just fine. I have these on a NTFS partition on the rest of the drive. It's just GCN games.
Also I noticed when I ran syscheck just now, it wouldn't work from the 150gb fat32 partition, but it did work off a 8gb FAT32 usb flash drive. (Maybe apps don't work well off the large partition?)

syscheck is here:

The fact that it actually gets to your splash screen means your hard drive is fine. What you might try is changing some of the settings on the loader like video mode, nodisk, NMM, padhook, etc.
What game are you trying?
What format is it in? (DiscEX (compressed or not), GCReEx)
Have you tried other games?

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

syscheck is here:

The fact that it actually gets to your splash screen means your hard drive is fine. What you might try is changing some of the settings on the loader like video mode, nodisk, NMM, padhook, etc.
What game are you trying?
What format is it in? (DiscEX (compressed or not), GCReEx)
Have you tried other games?

Discex, not compressed (afaik anyway). I tried about 8 different games, Luigis Mansion, Starfox Assault, Eternal Darkness, Fzero GX.

Where do I change these settings you mentioned?

BTW, I don't think I mentioned, but I don't have a Wii disc in the drive, is that why it doesn't work?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Discex, not compressed (afaik anyway). I tried about 8 different games, Luigis Mansion, Starfox Assault, Eternal Darkness, Fzero GX.
BTW, I don't think I mentioned, but I don't have a Wii disc in the drive, is that why it doesn't work?
SOME games require there to be a disk in the drive (and it doesn't really matter what kind of disk) but not all. Eternal Darkness that you mentioned is a audio streaming game and WILL need a disk in the drive. There are other's you mentioned that don't.

compressed (AKA trimmed) is when you use the -c option on DiscEX but I have two of the games you mentioned there compressed and they work fine for me (although I haven't upgraded from v2.0 yet)

I'm not that familiar with CFG to know WHERE those options would be. If you want to do some testing, the options in DM(L) Booter are very easy to get at so you can quickly see with which one the problem lies (if any).

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SOME games require there to be a disk in the drive (and it doesn't really matter what kind of disk) but not all. Eternal Darkness that you mentioned is a audio streaming game and WILL need a disk in the drive. There are other's you mentioned that don't.

compressed (AKA trimmed) is when you use the -c option on DiscEX but I have two of the games you mentioned there compressed and they work fine for me (although I haven't upgraded from v2.0 yet)

I'm not that familiar with CFG to know WHERE those options would be. If you want to do some testing, the options in DM(L) Booter are very easy to get at so you can quickly see with which one the problem lies (if any).

Ok I will try changing those to see if it helps.

Does my syscheck look ok?

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It looked good to me. Nothing that would effect this but just as a suggestion, you could also install dx2 with IOS base57 as 250. There are SOME games that actually need that IOS base to run. Almost ALL of the rest of them run on the 249 that you already have installed. Having 57 as 250 as well would let you switch for the few that actually need it.

Reactions: 1 person

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It looked good to me. Nothing that would effect this but just as a suggestion, you could also install dx2 with IOS base57 as 250. There are SOME games that actually need that IOS base to run. Almost ALL of the rest of them run on the 249 that you already have installed. Having 57 as 250 as well would let you switch for the few that actually need it.
Ok, if it's just going to affect Wii games then I think I will keep it as it is, because I usually play Gamecube anyway. Thanks for your help.

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, so after trying Discex 0.8b (with no options, just dropped the .gcm file onto the Discex executable in Windows Explorer) on 2 new games (Sunshine and SSBM) that I didn't try this time round, it's still not working.

I've also tried:

USBLoader GX r1201 (for some reason, this couldn't even *see* my GC games)
Dios Mios Booter r30 SVN (no games work, either I get a black screen after the Dios Mios splash screen, or I get a 'fatal error app_main dst not in mem1'

I also ran a chkdsk on both my fat32 and ntfs partitions. It made no difference.
I don't know what else to try.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday was that I installed the DM 2.2 wad without uninstalling DML. Should I have uninstalled it? I didn't think it would affect it. (How do you even uninstall WADs if you don't have the original WAD you used to install it with?)

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
USB Loader GX need the game to be placed here:

USB_first_partition:\games\ Title of the game you want [ID6 if possible]\game.iso
or
USB_first_partition:\games\ Title of the game you want [ID6 if possible]\ID6.iso
or
USB_first_partition:\games\ Title of the game you want [ID6 if possible]\sys\

example :
X:\games\Zelda wind waker [GZLP01]\game.iso

and you need to enable GameCube mode in the loader.

running chkdsk on your NTFS partition has no purpose.
Gamecube games are running from the FAT32 partition only. (first partition or the drive, primary, active, 32k cluster)
If they are on the NTFS partition it will not work.

To verify that your FAT32 is 32k:
Connect drive to PC
run cmd (start menu > run > cmd)
in the command window which should appear (you need admin privilege), type that:
drive letter or your FAT32 partition, put a : and press enter
chkdsk and press enter

example:
Code:
x:
chkdsk
check the line saying "number of .. per cluster" 32768

Installing DM or DML or MIOS overwrite and replace the previous one. No need to delete it.

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I have the GC games in this format:
X:\games\[GZLP01]\game.iso
not
X:\games\Zelda wind waker [GZLP01]\game.iso

Do I need to rename to make it that way or just leave it as it is?

and you need to enable GameCube mode in the loader.
I didn't know there was a separate setting, I will try this

All the GC and Wii games are running from the FAT32 partition.

Awwwww shit, it looks as if it's been 64k clusters all along, even though I remember specifically setting Easeus Partition Master to format to 32k.

At least I think it's 64k, because I didn't see the line you said "number of .. per cluster"

I just saw this one:
" 65,536 bytes in each allocation unit."

Is there a program you recommend that can create 32k clusters on a large (150gb) partition?

HyperShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malta
I have been out of the wii scene for years now and I've only recently decided to resurrect it and play some old favourites. I have NO idea what ios i'm on or even what I'm supposed to do (upgrade, downgrade? ios, cios ? it's all a blur honestly....) I know I have a hardmodded wii with wiikey. The last game I got running was Sonic 4 Episode 1 which ran from SD card but I have all my other games installed on a wbfs hard drive. Trying to install "Reader Rabbit Preschool" for my niece resulted in "ret = -2011" error. Any tips on where I should start?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
At least I think it's 64k, because I didn't see the line you said "number of .. per cluster"

I just saw this one:

Is there a program you recommend that can create 32k clusters on a large (150gb) partition?
Yes, that's the line. I always forget what the correct sentence is :P

That's strange that you couldn't format/convert to 32k.
150Gb is really NOT large.
Try converting the cluster size (without formating), using easus.

For the folder naming convention:
USB GX is compatible with:

x:\games\ID6\
x:\games\ID6_Title\
x:\games\Title [ID6]\
x:\games\anything else\

wrsg

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I just saw this one:

Yes, that's the line. I always forget what the correct sentence is :P

That's strange that you couldn't format/convert to 32k.
150Gb is really NOT large.
Try converting the cluster size (without formating), using easus.

For the folder naming convention:
USB GX is compatible with:

x:\games\ID6\
x:\games\ID6_Title\
x:\games\Title [ID6]\
x:\games\anything else\

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Go to the hack section of this forum.
look in the stickied topic, there are two different:
- ModMii : a computer tools which ask you questions, download all the files on your computer to copy to SD card, and create a tutorial to follow based on your own answers.
- Modify all Wii : A tutorial to follow directly on the forum.

The modchip is not a problem at all for any use of the Wii, except for Devolution (Gamecube Emulation).
It may require that you disable some settings in your modchip if you want to use devolution. (launch the Wiikey config disc and disable Region free).

Reactions: 1 person

PsyBlade

Snake Charmer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
use modmii to update your softmod
and consider switching to loading from FAT32 instead of WBFS
Thanks, but mine is hardmodded with wiikey. Could you point me to any noob guides that will help me get back on track?

I think you are confused.
You have both a hardmod and a softmod.
The Wiikey does not allow reading from HDD or SD. Therefor you have a softmod too.
Now read Cyans post again and follow its advice.

danmaku

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been using ModMii to download patched and vanilla wads of IOS70, but the Simple IOS Patcher app doesn't seem to work. Should I install the wads directuly using MMM?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo