[Noob] Nand Back up ?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by drukoz, May 6, 2014.

1. drukoz
    OP

drukoz Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2010
    United States
    i was wondering how i use the NAnd back up i have a R4i 3ds v 3.3b i also have the r4i deluxe gold that i bought by mistake for my 2ds how would i back up my NAND ?

2. Snailface

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Sep 20, 2010
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    You would have to back up your NAND with a hard mod as there is no homebrew possible (yet) on a 2DS. Even then, nobody has documented the pinouts on a 2DS. There really isn't much reason to back up the system at this point anyway.

What firmware is it on? Whatever it may be, keep it there if you want the best chance to run homebrew on it in the future.

3. drukoz
    OP

drukoz Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2010
    United States
    its on 6.0 but i wanted to update it cuz i do have some problems that are fixed thru patching so im debating weather its worth it

4. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Actually I think someone did recently find the pins and backup a 2ds, in the nand dump thread. Don't know how difficult the hardware mod is.

5. drukoz
    OP

drukoz Member

Newcomer
    Aug 2, 2010
    United States
    do you guys think i should just wait ?

6. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Would still be easier to pickup a 4.x 3ds but if you can solder and want to make a backup of your 6.x NAND before updating here is the pinout http://gbatemp.net/threads/nand-flash-dump-3ds-xl.350668/page-78#post-4983864

It's all up to you nobody knows if there will ever be an exploit for 6.x but at least you then have options for the future if you really don't want to buy a 4.x console

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I apologize for necro-ing this thread, but I have a relevant question:

I used the latest Gateway launcher to backup my 2DS' 9.2U sysnand. Am I able to do anything with it, besides hold onto it? Is it pointless to keep it? I don't have any kind of 3DS flash cart yet, but I'm both curious and hopeful about getting an emunand working on my 2DS someday.

8. ChrisCerne

ChrisCerne Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States
    You can do many things with the backup NAND.bin.

1. You can create an EmuNAND partition with it. This is useful if you, for instance, downgrade to 4.5 and want to use EmuNAND with your backup.
    2. You can restore your SysNAND using your NAND.bin, by going into the Gateway menu, by holding up when going to the downgrade menu. This is useful when you format your SysNAND, or downgrade / upgrade and want to get it back.

DO NOT delete your NAND.bin. If you completely mess up your console by bricking it, you won't be able to ever get it back to normal, and you might as well throw it away. At least if you have the backup, you'll be able to do a hard-mod and get your stuff back.

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Having a NAND backup means if you accidentally update you could get the hardware mod installed to downgrade back to 9.2

Jayro likes this.
  10. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    As already stated, I don't have a 3DS, I have a 2DS. That means no 4.5 downgrade for me.